PDA

View Full Version : Exmark pump problems

JRay_A&WLawnKare
11-01-2010, 11:57 PM
The shaft broke on the right drive pump a few weeks ago. Parts were replaced and everything went together well. The problem now is we cannot get the pump to prime. I have called Exmark two times and done as they instructed with no success. I can get it to pick up and drive the motor for a few seconds but it always looses it and pushes the fluid back out of the tank. Does anyone have any ideas or experience priming these pumps? Any help is much appreciated.

Patriot Services
11-02-2010, 08:22 AM
Was the pump replaced or rebuilt. Did the shaft break from internal failure locking the pump? Usually loss of prime is caused by excessive internal clearence.
Posted via Mobile Device

jlouki01
11-02-2010, 05:01 PM
Exmark ZTR wheel motors are garbage. The shaft snaps in half then sucks metal up into the pump thus blowing the seals and wasting the pump.

When that shaft brakes you have to replace the wheel motor, clean all the lines and replace / rebuild the pump.

We have had plenty replaced and Exmark tells us it's out fault. They offer to send you a video of a guy ramming into a curb for 45 minutes to prove their theory.

I Switched my entire fleet to JD over the mess..

JRay_A&WLawnKare
11-02-2010, 09:11 PM
Bearing gave up in the pump causing the failure. The side of the pump containing the swash plate and bearing was replaced along with the shaft of course. I am a factory trained Caterpillar tech and I have never encountered a situation like this in the field or the classroom. I can understand it taking some work to prime it but the whole part of it suddenly loosing what little prime it has and pumping ten dollar a quart mobil in the floor is baffling me and quite frankly pissing me off at the same time. It is useless for us to take this unit to our dealer because they have no idea how to fix it.

JRay_A&WLawnKare
11-04-2010, 10:55 PM
Problem is solved somewhat. I called and spoke with Harold and he diagnozed the problem right away and I had the ol' gal fixed in no time. the responsiveness and power output is sub par at this point and I am hoping that there is still some air in the system. We are going to mow with it tomorrow and see what happens.

StihlMechanic
11-04-2010, 11:22 PM
Problem is solved somewhat. I called and spoke with Harold and he diagnozed the problem right away and I had the ol' gal fixed in no time. the responsiveness and power output is sub par at this point and I am hoping that there is still some air in the system. We are going to mow with it tomorrow and see what happens.

what did it turn out to be?

JRay_A&WLawnKare
11-05-2010, 12:03 AM
I believe he called it a cap plate but I may be wrong. It is the plate on the end of the pump behind the fan and it was out 180 degrees. I fixed it on the mower without removing the pump so I was happy about that. I still have my concerns about it being totally repaired but I guess I will find out tomorrow.