PDA

View Full Version : Home formula for DDT?

Buck_wheat
11-02-2010, 07:11 AM
Look, they say you can produce DDT at home.

According to my son who lives there, "home" labs have been set up in the inner city of NY in response to a bed bug epidemic that has gone unchecked and untreated by authorities. Apparently DDT was the only solution the natives could come up with that worked.

http://blog.planetpreterist.com/index.php?itemid=2461

I wonder if their children will be hermaphrodites?

greendoctor
11-02-2010, 07:32 AM
My question is how the heck are those people getting their hands on chloral hydrate. That stuff is restricted as a CIII narcotic. I know is is sold as a chemical reagent, but buying chemical reagents is hard. No sales except to educational facilities(school, college chemistry programs) or to the research and manufacturing trade. Sulfuric acid is also restricted because it is key to making explosives or synthesizing street drugs. Otherwise, it would be nice to have DDT and chlordane around for public health or structural pests. In another time, what did you think was in Flit Guns? I believe it was 5% DDT in deodorized kerosene. Don't remember hearing of that causing cancer epidemics or killing the people using it. I am rightfully afraid of what was in household insecticides from the 1970s-1990s. DDVP, diazinon, Dursban or malathion. I know that can kill you.

Ric
11-02-2010, 11:16 AM

Interesting fact DDT & Chlordane are both being use all over 3rd world countries today to fight vector borne disease. Bed Bugs are resistant to Pyrethrins of all types so this article is not to far off with possible future control for Bed Bugs.

I am not sure where DDT is being made now. BUT CHLORDANE is made in TEXAS and shipped all over the world except the USA. You eating Chlordane ever winter when you eat Latin American vegetables.

But I am with Greendoctor about how hard it is to get the materials to make the stuff yourself. First chloral hydrate was the old Mickey Finn or knock out drop in a alcohol drink, only take a few grains. While we can buy Sulfuric acid in any hardware store, that doesn't mean it is technical grade or even close to what you would need.

nik
11-02-2010, 03:43 PM
And that's where the fun begins. Don't have the right ingredient? No prpb, some meth-head chemist will post a way to make the ingredients your missing. Only what you end up with is not a pure product and your end-product of DDT will not be the relatively safe DDT of old. Bit some nasty and most likely a true cancer causing goo.

Hissing Cobra
11-02-2010, 05:58 PM
The problem with bedbugs is that they multiply like rabbits and they don't stop. Even if you have a clean house, you're not impervious to a Bedbug infestation. However, cleanliness goes a long way towards keeping problems like this in check.

I have a customer who's a Pest Control Operator and currently, Beg Bugs are his bread and butter (he said that they're getting worse and worse, particularly in Hotels and Apartment buildings). He's talked to me many times and has let me know that in conjunction with pesticides, he has to do a THOROUGH cleaning of the entire house, room by room, in order to be successful. While this can be a major inconvenience, the inconvenience is far greater if it is not done this way.

He dresses up in a Tyvek suit that he tapes around his ankles and wrists, then uses a shop vac with filtered bags to vacuum EVERYTHING. He'll then spray the entire room, ensuring that all cracks, crevices and nooks have been treated. He even goes to great lengths to remove outlet covers, as the bed bugs will nest in the outlet boxes behind the covers. He'll then spray the mattresses, rugs, and other areas as well. From there, he'll wrap the mattresses with a cover. He'll do this one room at a time and EVERY room has to be done. When he's done with each room, nothing has been left untouched. He's been very successful doing this and depending upon the size of the apartment/house and the amount of stuff inside, he can make up to $2,000 in one day. In conjunction to the vacumming, he uses a product called Bedlam. He said that it works very well in controlling even the worst infestations. It's expensive alright but the alternative is a disgusting environment in which those bugs will rapidly multiply, making your night's sleep a nightmare.

Tip: He said that couches and chairs are just as bad as mattresses.

Oh, those guys that are making their own versions of pesticides are not only endangering their own lives, but they're endangering the lives of their neighbors as well (especially if they live in an apartment/condo complex). It may be monetarily cheaper to make their own but the payment could be much greater, later on in life when they develop an incurable disease because of they're doing now. They're a bunch of uneducated idiots.

phasthound
11-02-2010, 06:10 PM
I have a customer who's a Pest Control Operator and Beg Bugs are his bread and butter. He's talked to me many times and has let me know that in conjunction with pesticides, he has to do a THOROUGH cleaning of the entire house, room by room, in order to be successful. While this can be a major inconvenience, the inconvenience is far greater if it is not done this way.

Cobra,
Glad to her your friend is taking this approach. He's combined a knock out punch for existing bugs with an honest solution to reduce the underlying problem.
I also like this approach in the landscape: identify the symptoms and the root cause, if necessary treat the pest, then address the factors that caused the problem and allowed the pest to get out of hand. There is a name for it, Integrated Pest Management.

Hissing Cobra
11-02-2010, 06:28 PM
Cobra,
Glad to her your friend is taking this approach. He's combined a knock out punch for existing bugs with an honest solution to reduce the underlying problem.
I also like this approach in the landscape: identify the symptoms and the root cause, if necessary treat the pest, then address the factors that caused the problem and allowed the pest to get out of hand. There is a name for it, Integrated Pest Management.

Yeah, I agree. He's a super nice guy and very informative. I've never been involved with Pest Control other than on lawns and ornamental trees & shrubs, so I'm always trying to learn something new. I've been reading a lot of articles lately on Bed Bugs so I'm asking him questions everytime he comes in.

He said that his biggest problems include the customers themselves. Many think that he can be "in & out" in an hour and can't understand why it costs so much money to treat their problem. Many also don't want to work with him because of the inconvenience. One thing that he has to do, is that he has to inform them that all of their clothes and shoes have to be removed from the premises and that the clothes must be washed in hot water before bringing them back. They usually don't like that! He also can't believe the filth that most of these people live with. The overwhelming majority of his cases involve disgusting, dirty, cluttered, dwellings, although sometimes he'll get a call from people who's houses are very clean. Of course, those houses and hotels are his easiest jobs because there's not as much junk to move around or remove from the premises.

I file this knowledge whenever I talk to him and come home and tell my kids about these stories. It helps them to keep their rooms cleaner!

Ric
11-02-2010, 07:19 PM
I have been staying away from Bed Bugs because of Law suits. There is a scum bag Law firm in my area that not only sues every Pest Control company But gives Seminars to other law firms on how to sue Pest Control Companies over Bed Bug bites. Under state law we have to have Insurance and the Scum bag Lawyers go after go away money from the Insurance companies.

There was a Bed Bug Law suit in Sarasota Florida that gave a HUGE settlement. Insurance Companies are cutting their loss by settling quick with the scum bags.

Envi-Lawn
11-02-2010, 08:38 PM
Ric,
more on ddt. After WWII, the scientist who developed it won the Nobel Prize for Medicine. ddt is credited with saving millions of lives in third world countries. (malaria)

phasthound
11-02-2010, 09:42 PM
As with anything else there are both benefits and risks of any action taken. The trick is to educate yourself based on a wide variety of sources. The world is not black and white, one extreme or another with no in-between ideas that are acceptable. Do not use the media as a source of reliable information.

In this case, do a quick search for environmental impacts of DDT & human health impacts of DDT. Take the time to read the links. Then decide for yourself what risks and benefits are involved.

JDUtah
11-02-2010, 10:37 PM
Friend of mine mother was just diagnosed with full blown cancer traced back to DDT. While she didn't die of maleria, she only has 3 months left +/- do to that chem. She is 50.

Tim Smith
11-02-2010, 10:42 PM
Bed Bugs the other white meat. Think about that.
Posted via Mobile Device

Ric
11-03-2010, 01:08 AM
Ric,
more on ddt. After WWII, the scientist who developed it won the Nobel Prize for Medicine. ddt is credited with saving millions of lives in third world countries. (malaria)

Envi-Lawn

You are preaching to the Choir. I am a firm believe there are no bad pesticides only idiots who are too stupid to apply them correctly. DDT has been proven not to effect Eagle's Egg Shells which was the excuse used to take it off the USA market. As far as causing cancer, I am not saying it doesn't. But I am saying how can you prove it was DDT and not 50 years of smoking or other exposure to Cancer causing chemicals.

Buck_wheat
11-03-2010, 07:52 AM
As with anything else there are both benefits and risks of any action taken. The trick is to educate yourself based on a wide variety of sources. The world is not black and white, one extreme or another with no in-between ideas that are acceptable. Do not use the media as a source of reliable information.

In this case, do a quick search for environmental impacts of DDT & human health impacts of DDT. Take the time to read the links. Then decide for yourself what risks and benefits are involved.

The major problem with DDT usage in the early days was it's indiscriminate use. It was applied in massive quantities over large areas including populated areas.

I remember the Dutch military tanker trucks driving down roads in Surabaja, Indonesia spraying DDT fog while the native children ran around behind them playing in the fog and seeing aircraft spraying it aerially as well, like crop dusters.

American biologist Rachel Carson wrote Silent Spring in 1962. The book cataloged the environmental impacts of indiscriminate DDT use in the US and tracked it up the food chain until enough chaos and fear was achieved, DDT was banned.

The removal of this product has re-introduced the onset of malaria epidemics in the tropical regions, and apparently infestations of undesirable and difficult to treat pests here in major cities such as NY... Understanding the risk, employing limitations on it's use and proper management would have been a better choice.

Hermaphroditic amphibians and fish (attributed to DDT) are not unusual occurrences in certain climates when reproductive requirements demand a larger male/female population, and not all birth defects in man or animal are a result of a chemical exposure.

In regards to the manufacture of the DDT and the availability of restricted chemicals;

1. I wouldn't do it, it's dangerous and illegal and
2. Money solves all problems and provides all things even those things of an illegal nature. As long as there is demand and money, you can get what you want.

We live longer, eat healthier unaffected by parasites and vermin that cause death and contagion wherever they are not employed. All a result of modern living through modern chemistry (DOW).