PDA

View Full Version : soil amendments

head_start
11-02-2010, 12:04 PM
The soil on a property is very poor, so i am going to make soil amendments. What should i use for fertilizer in these amendments?

for anyone that reads this, what is xerascaping? you dont have to anser this question, i am just currious.

starry night
11-02-2010, 12:12 PM
The soil on a property is very poor, so i am going to make soil amendments. What should i use for fertilizer in these amendments?

for anyone that reads this, what is xerascaping? you dont have to anser this question, i am just currious.

Topdress with good quality, finished compost.

Xeriscaping is landscaping using plants that need very little water.

lukemelo216
11-04-2010, 09:53 PM
we use a mix of compost and manure to condition our beds, no fertilizer. Till the soil, rake out the big chunks/rocks, add about 2-3" of organic mix, re-till, rake the large chunks out again and level out. Flower/planting beds are set to go

White Gardens
11-05-2010, 09:11 AM
I use compost that comes from ISU farms just north of Bloomington/Normal IL. The stuff is awesome and is a culmination of food scraps from the dining halls, lawn waste from the campus, and livestock manure from the farm.

They compost it and then screen it. The only issue I have with it is that there is usually some garbage in it, but luckily it's minimal.

fl-landscapes
11-05-2010, 09:20 AM
xeriscaping is a "self sustained" landscape that needs little or no human input to survive or thrive. That means no artificial water, not planting plants too big for the area and need to be hedge trimmed constantly, low fertilizer requirements, usually very little turf grass to eliminate the need for inputs mentioned as well as mowing. Native plants to the particular area are usually used. In Fl they certifiy them as "florida friendly' yards and you get a sign. No exotics allowed.