PDA

View Full Version : TV spot 4pm on Thanks Giving

mcoates
11-02-2010, 04:50 PM
Gentlemen,

My local news station just contacted me about doing a 2-1/2 minute spot on there TV show the day of Thanks Giving rite after the game. I'm having trouble considering doing this so any advice would be good. The total cost is $5650 which include a 2-1/2 min spot on the show and a 30 second commercial everyday till the end of the year. Does anyone have any experience in this business with TV?

Thoughts and suggestions are welcome

Thanks

ajslands
11-02-2010, 07:22 PM
Speak clearly and well!
Posted via Mobile Device

Tq23
11-02-2010, 07:59 PM
I have no experience in tv ads, but that seems like alot of money to spend late in the selling season. How many jobs would you need to generate to breakeven on the cost of the ads? Also, you don't need the ads everyday till the end of the year, by Dec 15 the selling season is over. Can you get a reduced price and stop the ads around the 15th?

mcoates
11-02-2010, 08:30 PM
Well I'm thinking around 11k-12k just to break evening on the cost of the ads. With only fifteen days to do it that may be all I'm able to do. By the way this is my first year in the business. Maybe if the cost was half of that it would be worth it, so I'm going to ask if she can reduce the cost if I went with out the commercials.

GunnPropertyServices
11-02-2010, 08:41 PM
i would find out when the commercials would air what time of the day and get it in writing. its alot of money to put down with out researching how this type of advertising pays off for what you do.

David Gretzmier
11-02-2010, 10:24 PM
i would find out when the commercials would air what time of the day and get it in writing. its alot of money to put down with out researching how this type of advertising pays off for what you do.
Posted via Mobile Device

shade tree landscaping
11-04-2010, 07:21 PM
the 2-2.5min spot on the TV show I think is a waste of money. After a game, very few people actually sit around and watch whats next. Also on holidays, I know around my house the TV might have a game on, volume is low and no one is sitting there watching it, just glancing from time to time.

turf hokie
11-04-2010, 07:24 PM
Forget paying for it, figure out how to convince them to so a spot for you as part of the 5,7 and 11 o'clock news.

Have them come film your guys doing an install, interview you, one of your good customers.

Make yourself news worthy, they obviously already think what you do is worthhile, otherwise they would not have tried to get in touch with you to do a tv ad......

unit28
11-04-2010, 09:14 PM
<<warning, this may turn into some sort of rambling>>I

I'd lean towards why hiring a knowledged pro is safer than breaking your own neck and details are what sets us apart. Plus, more people today are hiring the pro for that reason.

Showing the tricks of custom cutting, use of special tools and tricks I'd keep to myself as it may inspre someone to try it, only to wind up failling miserably.

The general public can read directions on the box or hire a pro.
You shouldn't act like you're better than the competition, but better for the consumer
We as pros must understand roof and ladder safety, safe practice with electricity plus be an expert in exterior lighting design and coordinating oh and don't forget the daytime decore.

Q&A...
How many lights does it take to wrap a tree
How wide is the C9 bulb spacing compared to other brands
LEd lights are the rage such as icicle lights were when they first came out
Given a question about how many lights can you hook together? well look at it like how many amps can you draw on a circut instead

What drew me in as an installer years ago was how cool the lights were in the design. I'd try to skip the tech talk and talk about jazzing up the atmosphere with colorful displays.

I think I better stop now.
I'd skip the commercials and go for promoting our business.
Market what we do as a good thang.

good luck!

addictedtolandscaping
11-04-2010, 09:22 PM
No TV for me, but I do have a meeting with one of the radio stations on Monday to discuss running some ads. Depending on the cost I am inclined to move forward with this as they are already playing "our songs."

David Gretzmier
11-05-2010, 11:09 PM
I have been the Christmas light safety guy on 40/29 for several years now. I think the video link is somewhere on our website. we do not pay for that and they run some of the different stuff I have filmed sometimes as well.

David Gretzmier
11-05-2010, 11:15 PM
http://www.4029tv.com/video/18172472/detail.html

I think this is the link on a spot we did 2 years ago. just called the newsroom and after a few times they met us at an install. they filmed for about an hour and used maybe 1 minute of film.