PDA

View Full Version : Palm Tree Problem

stickleylawncare
11-02-2010, 05:51 PM
Out at my parents place they planted a few of these palms out and about to break up the pasture look around the house. They have all been well watered and fertilized with palm fert.

This is the only one out of the bunch not doing well. It kind of looks like brown spot but Ive never seen the brand new fronds die like that without it being frost damage, which it hasn't dropped that low here yet. Any ideas? Thanks

Ric
11-02-2010, 06:25 PM
stickleylawncare

Say a One Hail Mary and one Our Father before you rip it out of the ground and replace that palm tree.

Buck_wheat
11-02-2010, 06:40 PM
Looks like they got planted too deep, top of the root ball ought to be just above the ground, also looks like y'all didn't quite all the dirt back in the hole, should be no air around the root ball.

Wait with fertilizers till the palm settles in after planting, & then sparingly for until firmly rooted.

These are AMORTE'

MarcSmith
11-02-2010, 06:48 PM
dead as fred....cold won't affect the Pindo palm like other more tropical palms...

fl-landscapes
11-02-2010, 07:30 PM
Looks like they got planted too deep, top of the root ball ought to be just above the ground, also looks like y'all didn't quite all the dirt back in the hole, should be no air around the root ball.

Wait with fertilizers till the palm settles in after planting, & then sparingly for until firmly rooted.

These are AMORTE'

exactly what I was thinking, planted too deep and appears the ground around it is very dry and hard, safe to say it wasnt watered in properly. Think the hole not being back filled is something people do to make a "mote" type area to retain water.

fl-landscapes
11-02-2010, 07:32 PM
dead as fred....cold won't affect the Pindo palm like other more tropical palms...

damn I didnt know fred died:cry: no one told me! :laugh:

MarcSmith
11-02-2010, 08:02 PM
freddy kruger.... dead...:)

stickleylawncare
11-02-2010, 08:42 PM
The hole was filled back up, the extra sand there was just to hold in water. But basically you are saying it was just planted too deep, no diseases or anything like that? Im not a tree/palm person. They were all free from a friend and we just stuck em in the sand. All the others have done great.

Thanks for the help.

fl-landscapes
11-02-2010, 08:57 PM
The hole was filled back up, the extra sand there was just to hold in water. But basically you are saying it was just planted too deep, no diseases or anything like that? Im not a tree/palm person. They were all free from a friend and we just stuck em in the sand. All the others have done great.

Thanks for the help.

yup too deep and or not watered in properly after planting. the effects of planting too deep usually takes a while to cause issues, not watering properly until it roots will kill a palm quickly

cpel2004
11-02-2010, 09:14 PM
The truth of the matter, it is hard to give you an exact reason why this Palm has failed. Chances are, the others were planted at the same depth as this one, so you should correct those. More than likely its a combination of things that caused this palm to fail. The good news is, its a small palm so you can rip it out and start over. Was the palm, field grown or container?

stickleylawncare
11-02-2010, 09:22 PM
They were brought in wrapped in burlap with a pretty healthy looking root ball, but Im not sure if they were field or container. It didn't have any sort of compressed shape or root bound at all. There were around 12 total and except for this one, none show signs of stress at all. The soil out there is.. well there is no soil. Its pure sand on almost the entire property. They have been in the ground for about 5 months or so now.

GreenT
11-03-2010, 07:02 PM

A number of things could have been done incorrectly with this palm. From improper planting depth, improper initial/subsequent watering, air pockets around the root ball, over fertilization, etc, etc... :hammerhead:

But taking into consideration that the other Pindos do not manifest the same symptoms leads me to believe this specimen was already infected or highly susceptible through injury to Phytophthora palmivora (http://miami-dade.ifas.ufl.edu/old/programs/commorn/publications/phytophthora-bud-rot-of-palms.PDF). We had a very hot/wet summer, ideal conditions for it. If it is, rip it out and burn it.

Then again it could be something else. :)

DA Quality Lawn & YS
11-03-2010, 07:44 PM
I wish I had palm problems......

jasontimm
11-03-2010, 07:49 PM
I wish I had palm problems......

i dont!! .

Ric
11-03-2010, 10:30 PM

A number of things could have been done incorrectly with this palm. From improper planting depth, improper initial/subsequent watering, air pockets around the root ball, over fertilization, etc, etc... :hammerhead:

But taking into consideration that the other Pindos do not manifest the same symptoms leads me to believe this specimen was already infected or highly susceptible through injury to Phytophthora palmivora (http://miami-dade.ifas.ufl.edu/old/programs/commorn/publications/phytophthora-bud-rot-of-palms.PDF). We had a very hot/wet summer, ideal conditions for it. If it is, rip it out and burn it.

Then again it could be something else. :)

Green T

What I have Highlighted is why I only pronounced Death and not the autopsy results. However like others I think planting depth is the main cause. It is a mistake I see many beginners do because they think it will get more water which it does. The problem is not enough air, too much water.

GreenT
11-04-2010, 07:55 AM

Whatever it is, I'd still burn it. :)

Buck_wheat
11-04-2010, 01:34 PM
My bet is improper planting, altough diseased when planted could also produce these results.

When you dig the hole, dig it a little larger than the root ball, (I usually dig about 1.10-1.25% bigger than the circumference of the root ball) fill the hole with water & make sure the top of the root ball is (just a little) above the ground (you may consider adding some organic material to the sandy soil to enrich it and to make sure the sand doesn't compress around the roots chocking them).

Fill the hole back in using plenty of water and even sticking the hose down the side of the excavation to make sure that the roots are surrounded with dirt, air pockets on the roots will kill the palm.

That dam needs to be moved outside the circumference of the root ball and constructed out of MULCH (FL BMP's). Fill the dam 2 X daily, once before dawn & once well before dusk. make sure the dam fills up & the water doesn't soak directly into the ground. Better yet, invest in some water bags and you woun't have to worry about going out there 2X daily to water the Palms.

Continue water until the palm is out of shock and then reduce water gradually until rainfall or irrigation is sufficient. Do not fertilize until the palm is established.

Palm trees that size are expensive, check with your extension to see if conditions where you are are appropriate for that palm tree. :waving:

Ric
11-04-2010, 01:58 PM

Whatever it is, I'd still burn it. :)

Green T

While Burning this Palm to control any disease is rather a Noble Idea, It is not real practical. Have you ever burned a Palm Tree????? First, 90% of their weight is water. It might take several years after death for them to lose that water. I am not saying it can't done, It just takes a very hot fire to do it.

GreenT
11-04-2010, 06:00 PM
Have you ever burned a Palm Tree?????

Never. I didn't do it. I was out of town, in a hospital, under anesthesia, in another country.... uh huh... not me sir.... you've got the wrong guy. :rolleyes:

Landscape Poet
11-04-2010, 06:22 PM
As others have already have said - most likely cause is planting it do deep.

Kevin M.
11-07-2010, 01:54 PM
This looks like Frizzletop on the palm and you might as well get the shovel out and dig the sucker out it makes Fred look alive and kickin !

Florida Gardener
11-07-2010, 02:12 PM
Def not frizzletop
Posted via Mobile Device

Buck_wheat
11-08-2010, 04:56 AM
This looks like Frizzletop on the palm and you might as well get the shovel out and dig the sucker out it makes Fred look alive and kickin !

Nope, not frizzle top, that would start from the tips of the fronts.

Too deep... he's got it in the hole half way up the trunk... could be diseasd, but doubt it, definitly not frizzle top