PDA

View Full Version : Looking for owner feed back on topkick/kodiak

M & L
11-02-2010, 08:35 PM
Looking to buy a topkick or kodiak but would like some owner operator feedback on good bad expieriances.

Thanks.

fordsrule
11-02-2010, 11:03 PM
We have a 2009 C7500 with the 454 in it at work. Its a decent truck, but it seems every time we turn around something goes wrong. We've had a lot of problems with idler pulleys and the air compressor rattled loose a couple weeks ago. I'm sure the problems with pulleys and such are because the motor runs at 4000 rpm no matter what gear your in. I would deffinetley buy one with a diesel in it in with out a second thought. A friend of mine has an older Kodiak 6500 ramp truck with a Cat motor. He hasn't had any issue with the truck he has.

tnmtn
11-03-2010, 02:40 AM
it might help if you narrow it down a little. there are quite a few diffrent sizes. they have also been building them for a long time.

gasracer
11-03-2010, 08:43 AM
There was Top Kick on Craigslist in our area for sale last week. It has a new Landscape bed on it. I called the guy and went to test drive it. It had a Cat diesel motor. I was surprised at how well it handled in tight areas being as big as it was. The guy only wanted $10,000 for it. The New bed was $6,300 with 8,000 lb. gates on it you could use it for a wrecker.I think the truck was rated at 19,000 GBW.

M & L
11-03-2010, 11:08 AM
Thanks fordsrule..looking for diesel for sure.

Tnmtn,

I am looking at the 4500 with a duramax... you are correct there are a ton of varietys out there.. I have looked at everything from dump to pick up to car hauler. you might be saying cay hauler??? what?? if they have the 169 wheelbase they can be made to a dump or pick up..
They are either 03-07 for my price range, all over the place mileage, options etc..At this point considering the pick up style for family versatility over a dump. but have found a very nice dump 2003, with 12k, duramax, clean, auto, options for around 13k

seems like the only thing ive seen consistent is that they either have low mileage or wicked high mileage 200k plus...It leads me to wonder are they bad (low mileage, or upside down people) Or are they good (200k mileage)

Used to be a gm/ase mechanic but left that about 10yrs ago so know nothing about them..

Gas racer, thought about the landscape style but my hood would flip out more with that than a dump or pickup style...plus i have an enclosed trailer for my equip...

tnmtn
11-03-2010, 12:21 PM
i have a 4wd duramax 4500. it is an amazing WORK truck. pulls very good weights to 10 tons for me. i live in the mountains also. what it is not is a family truck. yes you can ride it to get a burger but that is not where it excels. i love the visibility, durability and power. i feel it is a very underrated truck. there may be diffrences in ride with 2 wd but from what i have read most agree it is for work.
good luck

M & L
11-03-2010, 01:07 PM
TNMTN, Thanks for the info..thats a good amount of weight..cant seem to find a 4x4 for my $$ range..

How is mileage? 10-12? i get 10 now with my very tired 96 chevy that is starting to cost me 1k every other month...and down time...

any crazy issues? went to another truck forum but they all praise what they drive!! so i think its biased?

tnmtn
11-03-2010, 09:00 PM
i get around 13-14 in town light, towing goes down with weight. i haven't had any bad issues with the truck so far. except they stopped building them. i'm spoiled now