PDA

View Full Version : How to properly install 4x8 brick edging?

Derek's Lawn Care
11-02-2010, 09:25 PM
How do you properly install 4x8 landscaping bricks around a new never landscaped before area? I know you must take up the grass but how do you make the angled edge in the ground for the bricks to lay in? Thanks in advance

DLC

Stillwater
11-02-2010, 11:25 PM
explaine what you mean about angled edge

Derek's Lawn Care
11-03-2010, 08:18 AM
Landscaping around houses here mostly are outlined with 4x8 inch bricks, but they do not just lay them flat (parallel to the ground) they are angled upwards starting from the bottom, I can't upload pics for some reason but if the flat dash is the grass the angle is the brick and behind the brick is the rock: ___/•••• (looking at it from ground level) I kno it's a cheap way of showing but do you know what I mean?
Posted via Mobile Device

Stillwater
11-03-2010, 09:49 AM
Landscaping around houses here mostly are outlined with 4x8 inch bricks, but they do not just lay them flat (parallel to the ground) they are angled upwards starting from the bottom, I can't upload pics for some reason but if the flat dash is the grass the angle is the brick and behind the brick is the rock: ___/•••• (looking at it from ground level) I kno it's a cheap way of showing but do you know what I mean?
Posted via Mobile Device

Oh ok I understand, Dig a small trench around the perimeter you want to edge, compact hard the bottom of the trench, start on either the right or left side what ever direction you want the angle to follow. as you lay your pavers use a 2 foot lenght of 2x4 on edge as a guide to keep your height of paver consistent as it follows the grade, I dont recommend a string line unless the border runs straight and the grade is consistently level. When you are done laying pavers parge the back side of the pavers with concrete and back fill.

a tri square is helpful as you lay pavers to keep the angle consistent because the smallest deviation as you lay pavers it will be noticeable to the eye the more you progress

White Gardens
11-05-2010, 08:20 AM
I would just lay them flat for all intent and purposes. That way you can just take a mower wheel right onto the edging and keep it trimmed mostly that way.

Someone has gotten lazy and angled them so they didn't need to re-grade the bed behind the bricks.

Stillwater right on. My only difference in what I do is that I lay my bricks flat and fill my trench with type-S mortar, and then set my pavers in the mortar completely. That and I use string lines to maintain a strait line and also to keep them flat. Each time I have a curve or grade change I just add another post for my line and re-adjust.

http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=160608&d=1252117365

Derek's Lawn Care
11-05-2010, 09:32 PM
Ok thanks, how would i do it without using concrete? landscaping companies around here dont use concrete in it, i tore apart a couple of bricks at one of my customers houses that i mow for and seen that its just dirt and the weed barrier behind the brick. Would i just have to dig and pack really good the trench?

White Gardens
11-05-2010, 09:37 PM
Ok thanks, how would i do it without using concrete? landscaping companies around here dont use concrete in it, i tore apart a couple of bricks at one of my customers houses that i mow for and seen that its just dirt and the weed barrier behind the brick. Would i just have to dig and pack really good the trench?

You could do it without mortar, but they are just going to move in a couple of years.

If you do them in mortar then they'll stay in place for at least a decade if not longer.

Derek's Lawn Care
11-10-2010, 10:57 PM
Ok makes sense to me, Thanks