PDA

View Full Version : TLC for a Z

ted putnam
11-03-2010, 01:33 AM
I have a Z-spray I have had for almost exactly a year and a half now. As of tonight it has 460.2 hrs on it. I am about to begin my last round with it. It is my Lime application and over the next 6 weeks I will spread 20+ tons with it. By the time I'm done it will have a little over 500 hrs on it. Some of you have mentioned giving yours an acid bath to remove unwanted rust(Let's face it, Stainless ain't what it used to be and that's not LT Rich's fault). I was wondering if this was muriatic acid that you used and at what mix ratio you used. Is it like cleaning brick at a 1 to 5 ratio? Also, how long do you let it soak before rinsing thoroughly? I'd like to do this before sandblasting and painting the casters and a couple of other small painted parts after I finish up for the year. This machine has been the best investment I've ever made in my business and I'd like to give back by completely going through it and making her look like new for Spring 2011. Any tips would be much appreciated.

Note: I don't need to know about machines that do 45 acres in a 6 hr day while throwing frisbees. I'm quite happy with the machine I presently operate. Thanks

rcreech
11-03-2010, 07:23 AM
Hey Ted!

I remember talking to you before you got your machine. I think I has just gotten my first one then and we had some talks about the Z's vs everything else.

The stainless should not be rusting. I would say it is just surface corrosion.

I put down some Fe earlier this summer and my machine looked like it was rusting like crazy.

We just use an air tool with a solid buffer attachment and it cleans the stainless up like a dream

The rims and casters are about the only think that should be rusting I think other then a few little things here and there.

Muratic acid does a great job on Aluminum but I have never used it on stainless.

I hear ya on taking care of the machine. You have to take care of your money maker!

ted putnam
11-03-2010, 08:36 AM
Hey Ted!

I remember talking to you before you got your machine. I think I has just gotten my first one then and we had some talks about the Z's vs everything else.

The stainless should not be rusting. I would say it is just surface corrosion.

I put down some Fe earlier this summer and my machine looked like it was rusting like crazy.

We just use an air tool with a solid buffer attachment and it cleans the stainless up like a dream

The rims and casters are about the only think that should be rusting I think other then a few little things here and there.

Muratic acid does a great job on Aluminum but I have never used it on stainless.

I hear ya on taking care of the machine. You have to take care of your money maker!

Thanks Rod. I wash and clean the machine at least 2 times a week(5 day work week). It does appear to just be surface rust and mainly on the front facing portion of the boom but there is definitely some "eeking" out around bolt heads and stuff. Now this is very minor and the problem is only cosmetic I assure you but I'd sure like to make this thing look like "new money". Thanks again Rodney. Hope things are going well!

mx315
11-03-2010, 08:43 AM
Best stuff I've ever used on stainless is called Bar Keeper's Friend. You can get it at WalMart, Target or grocery stores. They have a powder like the old Ajax cans or a liquid kind. I clean SS grills, heaters, sinks and my spreader frames. Use some gloves though, it will make your hands peel like crazy.

BonesMalone
11-03-2010, 10:07 AM
I used Fluid film last time I cleaned machine and it made it shine

grassman177
11-03-2010, 02:59 PM
i have some fluid film to use, but i am afraid it will make stuff stick to it badly. does it?

JD2320
11-03-2010, 03:03 PM
Try washing the machine down with a solution of white vinegar, lemon juice, and throw in a box of baking soda.

Scrub the corrosion areas with steel wool first, scrub with the solution then apply Ketchup to those areas and let that sit 24 hours.

I'm not kidding.

rcreech
11-03-2010, 03:04 PM
i have some fluid film to use, but i am afraid it will make stuff stick to it badly. does it?

It does!

I like using WD40 and that is about it. It even makes stuff stick a little.

Fluid Film works great...just attracts fert dust!

grassman177
11-03-2010, 04:57 PM
then there is no reason to put it on my zsprays then huh, just ctitical parts like the cables

brizine
11-03-2010, 05:29 PM
barkeepers friend and a 3m scrub pad will make it shine like new.

ted putnam
11-03-2010, 08:29 PM
I could have sworn someone said something about giving theirs an acid bath...and of course seedpros stayed pristine with simply a rinse job:laugh: Haven't seen him on here lately. Anyway, barkeepers friend sounds like the stuff to look for the next time I'm in WallyWorld. Also some other great ideas like the dipping sauce for my boiled shrimp...minus the baking soda of course.JK. On a serious note, it sounds like a cancel out on that one. Doesn't the baking soda neutralize the acid of the lemon juice and vinegar??? OK, keep em coming if you think of any more. Thanks guys.

rcreech
11-03-2010, 08:32 PM
I could have sworn someone said something about giving theirs an acid bath...and of course seedpros stayed pristine with simply a rinse job:laugh: Haven't seen him on here lately. Anyway, barkeepers friend sounds like the stuff to look for the next time I'm in WallyWorld. Also some other great ideas like the dipping sauce for my boiled shrimp...minus the baking soda of course.JK. On a serious note, it sounds like a cancel out on that one. Doesn't the baking soda neutralize the acid of the lemon juice and vinegar??? OK, keep em coming if you think of any more. Thanks guys.

Seedpro was such a dick!!!! :)

I forgot about him!

JD2320
11-03-2010, 08:36 PM

My Z-Sprays stay clean and have no rust with simple soap and water. I have one thats a 2007 and looks like new with 450 hours on it.

I wash with soap and water occasionally and blow it off with an air nozzle. No the baking soda provides some grit I suppose. The ketchup stops the acidity of the lemon juice and vinegar. I dunno man....I googled. :)

What kinda Deere is that in your avatar, RCreech?

rcreech
11-03-2010, 08:56 PM
My Z-Sprays stay clean and have no rust with simple soap and water. I have one thats a 2007 and looks like new with 450 hours on it.

I wash with soap and water occasionally and blow it off with an air nozzle. No the baking soda provides some grit I suppose. The ketchup stops the acidity of the lemon juice and vinegar. I dunno man....I googled. :)

What kinda Deere is that in your avatar, RCreech?

Getting ready to add another unit as we speak! I am between another 3520 or maybe or a 3320. Can't decide!
I got a Kubota and really like it but it doesn't hold a candle to the Deere.

I see your name and knew you must be sold on green! :)

ant
11-03-2010, 09:10 PM
I can remember someone said something about cleaning with acid. I posted a. Question on the power washing forum with no luck. I think those big rental company's use acid wash. As for the casters. I use automobile under coating.
Posted via Mobile Device

sprayboy
11-03-2010, 09:13 PM

It might have been ray hole e o....or what ever his name is.

You know, the guy that brutilizes every thing he owns then complains .

JD2320
11-03-2010, 09:26 PM

Getting ready to add another unit as we speak! I am between another 3520 or maybe or a 3320. Can't decide!
I got a Kubota and really like it but it doesn't hold a candle to the Deere.

I see your name and knew you must be sold on green! :)

I hate the color orange.

The three series are a little big for my needs and lawns, but I was considering a 3005 with the gearbox no hydro. They go a lot cheaper than the hydros but went with a 2320.

JD2320
11-03-2010, 09:28 PM
I can remember someone said something about cleaning with acid. I posted a. Question on the power washing forum with no luck. I think those big rental company's use acid wash. As for the casters. I use automobile under coating.
Posted via Mobile Device

Great idea. That is the 1 area of my older Z that has corrosion and no paint left on them.

grassman177
11-03-2010, 09:29 PM
only orange for us, green is reserved for what we cut and what we spend

rcreech
11-03-2010, 09:43 PM
only orange for us, green is reserved for what we cut and what we spend

I absolutely LOVED my orange tractor until I got a green one.

Green is build heavier, more powerful, more comfortable and I can't say enough about it.

But Orange isn't bad.

ted putnam
11-03-2010, 09:51 PM
Seedpro was such a dick!!!! :)

I forgot about him!

Yes, he certainly could be:laugh: I knew he was FOS when he tried to say he spread all kinds of pre combos and his white rims never stained. All he did was spray them with degreaser and rinse them off and they were as pretty and white as the day he bought his machine...What a bunch of F'ing BS. Some think they can dream up whatever they want and say it and everyone around them is going to be stupid enough to believe them. I can think of at least one of these persons that still frequents this site. It's almost laughable.

JD2320
11-03-2010, 10:02 PM
Yes, he certainly could be:laugh: I knew he was FOS when he tried to say he spread all kinds of pre combos and his white rims never stained. All he did was spray them with degreaser and rinse them off and they were as pretty and white as the day he bought his machine...What a bunch of F'ing BS. Some think they can dream up whatever they want and say it and everyone around them is going to be stupid enough to believe them. I can think of at least one of these persons that still frequents this site. It's almost laughable.

It's possible. My machines wheels still look good after 4 years and over 400 hours with simple wash and dry. Maybe a little rust around the edge of the bead but nothing serious. As a matter of fact this winter I am painting my black 2010 Jr wheels white. I hate the black wheels.

Service 1st Lawn Care
11-03-2010, 10:13 PM
I just use the Degreaser stuff you can put into a pressure washer, I put into a pump bottle squirt down let set for about 5 minutes and rinse off looks like new. LOVE THE Z:waving:

RigglePLC
11-03-2010, 10:25 PM
And don't forget to wax it once you get it clean. Protects the finish and sheds both water and fert.

ted putnam
11-03-2010, 10:59 PM
Geez guys. All I can say is one thing...actually 2. One is I must be using the wrong de-greaser(I think it's called Purple Power) or the paint on the rims of my ride -ons have been painted with different paint than yours. I have a 2004 PG Ultra and a 2009 Z-spray Jr., and both of them have had their rims stained beyond being perfectly white anymore. I soak the rims down, brush them with a scrub brush and let them soak.(sometimes longer than 5 minutes).I will admit, I have used Pre-m and Prodiamine combo products and the Pre-m does it much quicker but after a period of time, the end result is the same... no longer "true white" rims.

JD2320
11-03-2010, 11:15 PM
Well that's part of the problem then. I only use Dimension. Pendimethalin and Prodiamine stain pretty good and especially if you use liquid versions. I use a sponge with scotch brite on one side, not a brush.

ted putnam
11-03-2010, 11:38 PM
Well that's part of the problem then. I only use Dimension. Pendimethalin and Prodiamine stain pretty good and especially if you use liquid versions. I use a sponge with scotch brite on one side, not a brush.

I have used Dimension with hose and gun but no, I was actually talking about the yellow variety pre emerg fert bonded with prodiamine primarily. That is what I have used. I have used some fert/ .86% Pre-M in a pinch. I sprayed some Pre-M 3.3 EC in the old PG once and said HELL NO, never again! I won't spray any of that out of either machine at all.... ever. What a mess!