PDA

View Full Version : Need some tips from the Walker guys out there..

RIprop
11-03-2010, 06:13 PM
I recently added a Toro Z Master 355 to my small operation. Purchased it thinking it would be a good addition to my fall clean up equipment (being able to suck up and dump leaves rather quickly).

My question for the Walker people (since its a very similar machine and there's not many toro z 355s out there) is how can I prevent the machine from clogging???

I sanded all the chutes going into the bagger so they were nice and smooth to reduce friction. Then shot a bunch of wd40 in there to prevent rust and sticking. Any other tips??

Do the impellers get old and possibly thats what making it clog up every so often?

Thanks in advance...

NJemerald
11-03-2010, 08:27 PM
1st... where is your machine clogging...
between the deck and blower OR the blower and the catcher???

Never heared of a z 355 before, But with a Walker... no need for any of that sanding and wd40... just keep the bottom of the deck free of grass build up and Yes the blow housing fan does wear and need replacing every few years but other then that... it's all in the mowing technique.

RIprop
11-03-2010, 08:36 PM
1st... where is your machine clogging...
between the deck and blower OR the blower and the catcher???

Never heared of a z 355 before, But with a Walker... no need for any of that sanding and wd40... just keep the bottom of the deck free of grass build up and Yes the blow housing fan does wear and need replacing every few years but other then that... it's all in the mowing technique.

The clog is between the blower and the bagger... which makes me think the blower housing is worn out? Bought the machine used and its got about 950 hours on it.

NJemerald
11-04-2010, 06:43 AM
The clog is between the blower and the bagger... which makes me think the blower housing is worn out? Bought the machine used and its got about 950 hours on it.

How old is the mower?
Are the fins on the blower rounded/worn looking?
we only get about 3 good season out of a blower (with our amount of use) before they start to clog more frequently.

MarcSmith
11-04-2010, 07:37 AM
the wd40 isn't going to help you any. its just going to attract debris.. the debris going through the chute will "sand" the chute and keep the rust at bay..

make sure the discharge chute is clean and smooth and make sure that the blower/bagger junction is nice and smooth and joining up properly

RIprop
11-04-2010, 08:32 AM
How old is the mower?
Are the fins on the blower rounded/worn looking?
we only get about 3 good season out of a blower (with our amount of use) before they start to clog more frequently.

i don't have much experience with these mowers but the fins on the blower look worn to me and thats probably the problem. The mower has 1000 hrs on it. I bought it used and have no idea if it was ever replaced.. i doubt it.

May be time to throw a new prop on there...

grassmasterswilson
11-04-2010, 08:48 AM
sharp blades may help chop leaves and grass up better. also if things are wet you are more likely to clog. too much grass/leaves too fast will cause a problem also

stan the man
11-04-2010, 11:54 AM
my walkers and exmark. if i go fast they will clog with leaves and the walker hate wet grass.slower is better on the clean ups

Oak Hill Contractors
01-07-2011, 05:37 AM
Posted via Mobile Device

Oak Hill Contractors
01-07-2011, 05:39 AM
You could try spraying a graphite lube on instead of wd40 it goes on dry so wont attract dust and plug up.
Posted via Mobile Device

RigglePLC
01-07-2011, 11:32 AM
Dry silicone lubricant is also good if you need to be slippery. After you install the new blower impeller. But I suggest car wax--like Turtle wax. Smooth and slippery. However, in either case the continuous friction of the debris going through the tube will scratch away any lubricant in a short time. Make sure the screens are clean to allow air to exit without impeding outward air flow. Post your note again in the mowing section. And read through the discussions on leaf removal. Perhaps you can find someone with similar equipment with whom you can contact for detailed discussions by private message.

GreenHammer
04-28-2012, 11:22 PM
I know you posted this awhile ago but I have this same mower and what I have found is using belt dressing helps turn the fan better.(Traction) Also, this collects best when the belts are nice and warm.Also make sure your spring tension is good. When I first start out mowing is when I will have a clog or two. but after 10 or 15 min of continuous mowing I rarely have a clog and this bags like a Mofo. I had a walker for a while and sold it. I have put the z355 through hell and it keeps holding up!!! Also check out the Scag Cougar? Same mower.