PDA

View Full Version : help with some bare spots

944own
11-04-2010, 03:47 PM
This is a yard I picked up late in the season this year. The owners had put down sod around june and most all of it died, they fired the guy that was taking care of the yard and I started mowing it around august. I plugged and seeded it about 3 weeks ago and so far this is the outcome, it is doing allot better than before but there are some bare spots like the one in the pic by the mailbox any suggestions on what I should do to get the grass to come in around these spots you can see in the pic the spot is still loaded with seed.

944own
11-04-2010, 03:50 PM
the 3rd pic is the front yard before and the 1st pic is the front yard now that i have put down seed a few weeks ago.

humble1
11-04-2010, 09:58 PM
I always stress to people that seed is certified to have a certain germination rate. Which means it is viable seed, if it doesnt come in it is always becasue joe homeowner didnt have the time to water it. I never guarantee seed jobs, how can I when I am not watering it.

944own
11-04-2010, 10:07 PM
I know but this family has a very nice irrigation system that I set the timer on for them I have been watering it on the system for 12 min 4 times a week and we have been getting rain. I am going to mow it tomorrow at about 4in and I am going to take a small foot kick aerator and some fert seed mix to spot treat and see what happens. thanks any other ideas would be great

944own
11-04-2010, 10:09 PM
also I know I did not guarantee anything and the homeowners are cool with the progress, just want to do the best I can for them thanks

humble1
11-04-2010, 10:14 PM
This is a yard I picked up late in the season this year. The owners had put down sod around june and most all of it died, they fired the guy that was taking care of the yard and I started mowing it around august. I plugged and seeded it about 3 weeks ago and so far this is the outcome, it is doing allot better than before but there are some bare spots like the one in the pic by the mailbox any suggestions on what I should do to get the grass to come in around these spots you can see in the pic the spot is still loaded with seed.

Why the huge diff between what looks like the side and the front?

944own
11-04-2010, 10:18 PM
I really dont know it has been that way since I have been cutting it, the back yard is very small and it looks a little better than the front but not close to the side. I know it is getting water though in the front it was covered in weeds and I spayed it and that is why it is so spotty but it killed all the weeds.

knox gsl
11-04-2010, 10:21 PM
Did you use a power seeder or just drop it on the ground? Also near the mailbox a rake will help get the soil over the seed better, but 3 weeks you should be seeing something there. What seed mix did you use and when was it bagged?

944own
11-04-2010, 10:28 PM
I just used a manual lesco spreader i will try to rake that by the mailbox tomorrow and I used the john deere landscapes lesco fescue mix and I think it was bagged about 3 years ago but really not sure does that sound correct.

knox gsl
11-04-2010, 10:45 PM
The bagged 3 years ago may be the problem, did you buy it from lesco or homedepot?

944own
11-04-2010, 10:49 PM
bought at john deere landscapes also they had been out of seed because everyone was buying it at the time and i had to be on a waiting list for a week to get it. I put the same seed down at my house and it seems to be doing good just wondering if I did something wrong in these spots because it seems to be coming in pretty well in other parts of the yard. Do you think I just did not break the ground up good enough.

White Gardens
11-04-2010, 11:04 PM
Do some soil testing. That would be the only way to know for sure what is going on.

I have a feeling the PH is off due to the irrigation. Municipal water tends to run around 7.5 to 8.0 PH.

Gypsum might help too. It would help neutralize any salts that are in the soil from the city water.

944own
11-04-2010, 11:09 PM
Maybe soil test will be my next step if breaking the ground up better does not work.

RigglePLC
11-05-2010, 08:37 AM
Cold weather is going to be a problem. If there is rye in the mix, it might come up OK, but fescue will be a lot slower. The rye probably will not do well once temps exceed 90 next June.

White Gardens
11-05-2010, 08:54 AM
Maybe soil test will be my next step if breaking the ground up better does not work.

Just do it. Even if you break ground and try to get something going, you might end up with the same results as you have now.

Do your work, take the samples, and if you need to do any adjusting after the fact, then that's still OK.