PDA

View Full Version : Where do u dump your leaves and how much do you pay?

cuttin-to-the-Max
11-04-2010, 04:50 PM
Where do u dump your leaves and how much do you pay?
Do any of you guys actually keep them and sell it?
I would like to do that if it really brings in some good money
I would have to buy some land though....

Im in michigan i dump my leaves at a the dump a little outta the way for like $30 a trailer load......

Looking for a new place alot closer perferbbably.

knox gsl
11-04-2010, 05:16 PM
There is a place right out of town here that I dump leaves at, its free, they only take leaves and chipped wood though.

travski
11-04-2010, 05:54 PM
I go to the dump. $5 per visit. adds up, but hey its a write off.

topsites
11-04-2010, 06:06 PM
Same place I get my mulch from, I like taking my brush and leaves there because they truly re-cycle it.
The price varies between $10 and $30 a load depending mostly on the weather.

momstmg
11-04-2010, 06:07 PM
In my burn pile, its free.
Posted via Mobile Device

4 seasons lawn&land
cant believe they charge you to dump leaves

Roger
Many years ago, after being in business for a couple of years, I made a pile on my property. In previous years, I had taken about 35 trailer loads (5X10X4) to the local dump. Many people kept saying, "That is good stuff, compost it and sell it."

I made the pile, turned it a couple of times, and then placed an ad. In the end, I had about 25 cu yds to sell. NOBODY would buy. I placed another ad, "Come and take it, I'll help you load, or can haul." One person responded. He took 10-12 wheelbarrow loads. I ended up forking it on the trailer and taking it all to the dump.

So, while the idea sounds so good, nobody really wanted to bother. If somebody is urging you to compost and sell, get a commitment from them to buy. Obviously, I never did that drill again.

topsites
11-04-2010, 06:11 PM
Obviously, I never did that drill again.

Ah no, it takes at least 5 but closer to 10 or 20 years of piling and turning and
composting such a pile in order to get really nice humus going, the idea here
isn't compost, it's topsoil.

Rich, dark dirt...
So dark and rich it not only looks black but it might as well be.
That's what leaves should, and will turn into.

But it takes a LOT of leaves to make a little bit of dirt,
a long time, and more than a couple of turns of the ladle.
Read: YEARS.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
11-04-2010, 06:58 PM
City brush dump. I pay nothing on the back end but get taxed by the city, so yes, I pay for it in the end.

riverwalklandscaping
11-04-2010, 07:04 PM
Do you mean how much do you get paid? lol jk, but I turn mine into compost and get 40$ a yard for it. :)

Mudly
11-04-2010, 08:35 PM
Ah no, it takes at least 5 but closer to 10 or 20 years of piling and turning and
composting such a pile in order to get really nice humus going, the idea here
isn't compost, it's topsoil.

Rich, dark dirt...
So dark and rich it not only looks black but it might as well be.
That's what leaves should, and will turn into.

But it takes a LOT of leaves to make a little bit of dirt,
a long time, and more than a couple of turns of the ladle.
Read: YEARS.

umm.... properly done it takes about two weeks....

riverwalklandscaping
11-04-2010, 08:38 PM
I'd say 2 weeks is not realistic at all, but it's certainly not 20 years.

And yes, it takes a long time, and a lot of leaves.. but my pile also gets yard clippings, edging, etc, etc put in it. Right now the pile is probably just shy of 200 yards in size, and it gets turned about 5 times a year. It takes a while but it's not like it's a lot of work to let something sit there and rot. Of course you do have to have room to do it..

A few pics of it ..

Mudly
11-04-2010, 08:50 PM
I'd say 2 weeks is not realistic at all, but it's certainly not 20 years.

And yes, it takes a long time, and a lot of leaves.. but my pile also gets yard clippings, edging, etc, etc put in it. Right now the pile is probably just shy of 200 yards in size, and it gets turned about 5 times a year. It takes a while but it's not like it's a lot of work to let something sit there and rot. Of course you do have to have room to do it..

A few pics of it ..

the key work was properly, and that does include some extra work, since leaves naturaly are the last to break down after wood (sometimes wood does rot faster). they need to be shreded and then shreded and shreded and when you done shreding them don't forget to shred them. Some machines get the job done the first time, what your looking for is dust. Then moisture, but not two much, Heat, a lot, and microorganizims needed to be introduced, in the form of say manure. of cource you don't have to do this but to turn a 200 yard pile into hummus in two weeks this would be nessesary. The world record is around 9 days, from leaf to hummus. Also the bigger the pile the faster it goes. But again your right its not realistic, unless you employ livestock lol.

Roger
11-04-2010, 09:00 PM
No, 20 years is way beyond the time to break down a leaf compost pile.

Our township collects leaves from residents. It is a separate pickup from trash, and leaves must be in paper bags. They are combined with another local township at a large collection center, a large paved area. The leaves, bags and all, are run through a grinder. The output in put into a large row pile, perhaps 25 feet high, 250 feet long. It is turned a few times, and then returned to the residents as free compost every Spring, available for pickup (no mechanical loading devices permitted). The time period is roughly 18 months. The leaves from Fall 2010 will be distributed as compost in Spring 2012. The compost distributed in Spring 2010 is made of the leaf debris put into the pile in Fall 2008. By that time, the compost is fine, very dark, and very rich and heavy. I am sure that nothing else is added to the pile, just leaves and paper bags.

Chevy z71
11-04-2010, 09:06 PM
my 120 acrea farm=free but if i went to the dump it would be 5$ per visit

93Chevy
11-04-2010, 09:16 PM
I dump mine in a local farm field for free.

Grass Shark
11-04-2010, 10:02 PM
I dump at my friends farm for free and he is smiling ear to ear everytime he sees us come. Two other LCO friends of mine dump there as well, so he gets a decent amount. See if you can find a local farmer.

jwsland
11-04-2010, 10:04 PM
My local mulch farm charges me $20 for my dump trailer full. I have paid up to $40 before when I'm not near there.

White Gardens
11-04-2010, 10:05 PM
The thing I haven't seen in this thread is the EPA rules and Regs for dumping leaf and lawn debris.

There are strict rules at least in Illinois and you just can't dump and compost anywhere. You need a sight specifically set up for it, and on top of it, you have to apply through the EPA to be licensed to do it and that cost lots of money.

STIHL GUY
11-05-2010, 06:08 PM
i get charged $20 to $35 a load to dump my full box

MOW ED
11-06-2010, 10:59 AM
I dump the leaves on the street and the city vacuums them up. Cost to me 0. If someone absolutely insists that I load them on my trailer, I take them to the citys compost yard. I charge a significant rate dependant on many factors but no less than 50.00 a load for a small load of up to 20 bushels or about 2 full Walker hoppers. I pay 100.00 for a contractor sticker and I can bring in as much stuff as I want for the entire season. Next year the rate is 0 as they are doing away with the stickers. Good for me. We are pretty lucky here. The city composts everything and turns it around as black dirt mulch. They also grind up all the trees, branches, pallets ect and have that as free mulch for around landscaping. Its kind of ratty stuff because its a mutt mix of wood but its good for some non-critical places. You load it and its all free.

8rickyj
12-14-2010, 07:29 PM
I mow the place I dump. Even trade. It only takes an hour. Try making nice with a farmer!

robertsturf
12-15-2010, 11:31 AM
Our 6 x 12 trailer with 6' sides to the top $60 at the organic landfill. We get anywhere from 4-6 lawns worth of leaves in it. With the shredding capabilities of the loader it really compacts the leaves.

LewisLawn
12-15-2010, 03:45 PM
same place i get my landscaping materials...it is free so long as i buy my material from him...not only do i dump leaves there but any other material that is necessary grass branches as long as it is clean no garbage....

before that i dumped at a buddies for free he had an area on his property that he was trying to fill in he dumped his material from his own excavating and blacktopping business there as well