PDA

View Full Version : Grub control and fire ant control

grassmasterswilson
11-04-2010, 08:12 PM
What products are you using for grub control? Imidicloprid was recommended to me. Seems to be about the same chemical cost as a normal round. Do you guys charge the same or a little more? This would be an additional app.

With fire ants. It seems TopChoice is a great product. It is expensive but gives long term control. How are you guys charging for this. Looks to me like it might be in the 20 per 1000 area. How are you guys charging for this? I thought about chargeing extra up front, but including 1-2 rechecks and individual mound treatments.

humble1
11-04-2010, 08:20 PM
What products are you using for grub control? Imidicloprid was recommended to me. Seems to be about the same chemical cost as a normal round. Do you guys charge the same or a little more? This would be an additional app.

With fire ants. It seems TopChoice is a great product. It is expensive but gives long term control. How are you guys charging for this. Looks to me like it might be in the 20 per 1000 area. How are you guys charging for this? I thought about chargeing extra up front, but including 1-2 rechecks and individual mound treatments.

I wish we had fire ants up here..seems like a great add on..

I charge for an additional round w/ grub control

grassmasterswilson
11-04-2010, 08:33 PM
Humble,

They are getting worse every year down here. You can come back in 10-14 days and the mounds will by 8-10 inches tall. Lots of times around curbing so it makes it tough on edging. Not to mention running over them with the mower. Once you get one bite you can trust me there will be 10 more!!!

cgaengineer
11-04-2010, 08:45 PM
Humble,

They are getting worse every year down here. You can come back in 10-14 days and the mounds will by 8-10 inches tall. Lots of times around curbing so it makes it tough on edging. Not to mention running over them with the mower. Once you get one bite you can trust me there will be 10 more!!!

Yes they suck, for the poster who wished he had them...all I can say is I wouldn't wish them on my worst enemy!
Posted via Mobile Device

humble1
11-04-2010, 09:05 PM
waiting for Ric to chime in on the fire ant control....

Still wish we had them I could make a bundle...

Ric
11-04-2010, 11:43 PM
waiting for Ric to chime in on the fire ant control....

Still wish we had them I could make a bundle...

Humble

You have something better than Fire Ants...... BUD BUGS are the new gold mine in pest control. The North East is loaded with them. Get a structural PC lic.

Top Choice works great on Clay soils, However not so great on sandy soil where it leaches away. Being on Sandy soil I spray Liquid insecticide Bi Monthly. By being on the property and in contact with the customer 6 time a year I have a better chance of up selling extras to them and THEIR NEIGHBORHOODS.

gregory
11-05-2010, 03:18 PM
i will say ric's way works alot better forus down here i used top choice and got 6months control maybe. ric's way works great is alot cheaper......

grassmasterswilson
11-05-2010, 04:54 PM
Humble

You have something better than Fire Ants...... BUD BUGS are the new gold mine in pest control. The North East is loaded with them. Get a structural PC lic.

Top Choice works great on Clay soils, However not so great on sandy soil where it leaches away. Being on Sandy soil I spray Liquid insecticide Bi Monthly. By being on the property and in contact with the customer 6 time a year I have a better chance of up selling extras to them and THEIR NEIGHBORHOODS.

mind telling me what insecticide you are getting good results with? Bifenthrin(talstar)?

bx24
11-05-2010, 09:17 PM

I like Imidicloprid if your dont have them (does not control grubs per say). And Advion for Fire ants.

Turf Dawg
11-05-2010, 11:05 PM
I like Imidicloprid if your dont have them (does not control grubs per say). And Advion for Fire ants.

How do you like the Advion? I heard it was great for large non-irrigated areas but would turn rancid fast on irrigated properties and the ants would not take it to the mound.

Ric
11-06-2010, 08:36 AM
mind telling me what insecticide you are getting good results with? Bifenthrin(talstar)?

Wilson

It is not WHAT you use but HOW you use it. Talstar is as good as any insecticide, but nothing in today's market beats Diazinon IMHO. The main trick when spraying for any insect is the amount of carrier you use. The more carrier the better control. Of course running irrigation both before and after a treatment can work the same as large volume applications. Running Irrigation before an application is actually better that after the application.

I use 5 gallon per Thousand Sq feet of mixed product on a normal blanket spray for either Ants or Chinch bugs. Problem or huge infestation I double that to 10 gallons per thousand. The Generic Bifenthrin I use has a high rate of twice the low rate. Therefore I mix the same AI in each tank full and only have to adjust my application amount as I spray.

Bx24

My experience which Advion is fast knock but no residual. I believe Advion works too fast and doesn't get in the food chain good enough for regular use.

What I find Advion good for is call backs on bait jobs where the customer is unhappy with the slower and more complete results of Extinguish Plus Fire Ant Bait.

In the case of all baits, Freshness is important. Therefore I always try and keep any and all baits cool and away from other pesticides that the smell may not be absorbed. I buy very small quantity of baits and try and use them as fast as possible. Baits are a very GREEN way of doing pest control and should be used as much as possible.

BTW If you ever use Terro Liquid bait, Cut it 1/2 with water to make a weaker solution because it works better. Or course this break the old "If a little bit is good then a whole lot is better" theory.

cgaengineer
11-06-2010, 08:44 AM
Wilson

It is not WHAT you use but HOW you use it. Talstar is as good as any insecticide, but nothing in today's market beats Diazinon IMHO. The main trick when spraying for any insect is the amount of carrier you use. The more carrier the better control. Of course running irrigation both before and after a treatment can work the same as large volume applications. Running Irrigation before an application is actually better that after the application.

I use 5 gallon per Thousand Sq feet of mixed product on a normal blanket spray for either Ants or Chinch bugs. Problem or huge infestation I double that to 10 gallons per thousand. The Generic Bifenthrin I use has a high rate of twice the low rate. Therefore I mix the same AI in each tank full and only have to adjust my application amount as I spray.

Bx24

My experience which Advion is fast knock but no residual. I believe Advion works too fast and doesn't get in the food chain good enough for regular use.

What I find Advion good for is call backs on bait jobs where the customer is unhappy with the slower and more complete results of Extinguish Plus Fire Ant Bait.

In the case of all baits, Freshness is important. Therefore I always try and keep any and all baits cool and away from other pesticides that the smell may not be absorbed. I buy very small quantity of baits and try and use them as fast as possible. Baits are a very GREEN way of doing pest control and should be used as much as possible.

BTW If you ever use Terro Liquid bait, Cut it 1/2 with water to make a weaker solution because it works better. Or course this break the old "If a little bit is good then a whole lot is better" theory.

Half rates and baits...next you will be joining Green Peace!
Posted via Mobile Device

Ric
11-06-2010, 09:45 AM
Half rates and baits...next you will be joining Green Peace!
Posted via Mobile Device

CGA

Sorry Wale Wars I am not ready to give my life so some poor Japanese family misses a meal of Raw Wale Blubber.