PDA

View Full Version : left on the side of the road...AGAIN!

castlerockmo
11-04-2010, 10:22 PM
Ok so 2 months ago I got rid of my 05 6.0 because of a cracked head. Well I bought a 08 5.4 f-250. WeLl today on my home from doing leaf cleanups I hear a awful knocking noise. As I'm trying to fiqure out what it is it keeps getting worse. So I decided that it would be best to pull over at a gas station. As I'm pulling the dumb things dies! Well I started it up again and got it out of the road. Sounds like something is wrong with one of the rods. Anyways I thought 5.4s were supposed bullet proof. I guess maybe me and the Ozark mountains are rough on Trucks. I guess I will call ford in the morning.
Posted via Mobile Device

lawnpropm
11-05-2010, 04:22 AM
Its a ford. Get a chevy. Prob solved
Posted via Mobile Device

meets1
11-05-2010, 10:09 AM
My neighbor the ford/dodge dealer says he has seen alot of 08's with the 5.4 in there shop. Didnot really say why though

castlerockmo
11-05-2010, 02:00 PM
Its a ford. Get a chevy. Prob solved
Posted via Mobile Device

I would buy a dodge before I would buy a Chity.:hammerhead:

PlantscapeSolutions
11-06-2010, 12:05 AM
My in-laws have an 04' 5.4 in a 4x4 F250 Crew Cab with 80K. It's a great truck as long as you like 12 mpg, no power for towing, and a horrible resale value. They've been trying to sell the thing almost since they bought it with no luck. In Texas if you buy a Ford or Dodge gasser HD you'd better plan on make it a family heirloom because you'll be stuck with it forever.

KC lawn guy
11-06-2010, 12:11 PM
guy up the street from me had one and it was a **** motor. they replaced it twice, same type of thing happened. does it almost sound like a diesel while it is sitting there?

lyube
11-08-2010, 12:32 AM
I've driven lots of 5.4s. Ours are NOT maintained.. as in 50k with no oil changes, daily driving hitting 4k RPMs very often.... they are abused and NOT taken care of. Never a problem.

188k, 295, and 200k on ours.

(Box truck, f150, box truck).

cgaengineer
11-08-2010, 01:45 AM
Get a Tundra.
Posted via Mobile Device

lawnpropm
11-08-2010, 01:48 AM
Tundras spend to much time at gas stations. Sharp looking truck tho
Posted via Mobile Device

cgaengineer
11-08-2010, 01:52 AM
Posted via Mobile Device

I'd rather be at a gas station then sitting on the side of the road waiting on a wrecker.
Posted via Mobile Device

lyube
11-08-2010, 03:14 AM
Posted via Mobile Device

It's no better or worse than the 5.4.

Accu-cut Lawn Care
11-08-2010, 11:52 AM
Those 5.4's are horrible. My buddy let me drive his 03 fx4 f150 for a week and I was thouroughly happy I didn't own it. He installed underdrive pulleys, an air intake, and a free flowing exhaust and it still struggles to get 12 mpg... If you're lucky. It's seriously lacking of any balls too.

Dodge haters can hate... But my ole 2004 1500 dovetail averaged around 17 mpg with a ztr on the back... and was 100 percent trouble free to 150,000 miles of my ownership.

My 2007 Hemi has the best engine of the big 4... Toyota included. And on the highway with mds, driven conservatively, gets 21 mpg. With my highflow exhaust and intake, It's making 380 hp.

The fit and finish of Dodge is a tad behind the others; but the price, dependability, and performance outweighs that.

castlerockmo
11-08-2010, 12:02 PM
Those 5.4's are horrible. My buddy let me drive his 03 fx4 f150 for a week and I was thouroughly happy I didn't own it. He installed underdrive pulleys, an air intake, and a free flowing exhaust and it still struggles to get 12 mpg... If you're lucky. It's seriously lacking of any balls too.

Dodge haters can hate... But my ole 2004 1500 dovetail averaged around 17 mpg with a ztr on the back... and was 100 percent trouble free to 150,000 miles of my ownership.

My 2007 Hemi has the best engine of the big 4... Toyota included. And on the highway with mds, driven conservatively, gets 21 mpg. With my highflow exhaust and intake, It's making 380 hp.

The fit and finish of Dodge is a tad behind the others; but the price, dependability, and performance outweighs that.

My sister had a dodge and thing drank the fuel too.

My 5.4 don't have a lot of power but it runs well and pulls well up and down the steep hills. I have to get used to not running 80 and having plenty more power to spare. Haha gas mileage does suck!

I always heard the 5.4 was great and maybe it is and I just had a problem. I love my fords I have never had a problem expect for the last one and this one. The 6.0 was my fault in a way, I knew I shouldn't have put a bully dog programmer on it and I did anyways. Oh well.

If I ever do buy anything else but a ford it will be a dodge.
Posted via Mobile Device

Accu-cut Lawn Care
11-08-2010, 01:32 PM
My sister had a dodge and thing drank the fuel too.

My 5.4 don't have a lot of power but it runs well and pulls well up and down the steep hills. I have to get used to not running 80 and having plenty more power to spare. Haha gas mileage does suck!

I always heard the 5.4 was great and maybe it is and I just had a problem. I love my fords I have never had a problem expect for the last one and this one. The 6.0 was my fault in a way, I knew I shouldn't have put a bully dog programmer on it and I did anyways. Oh well.

If I ever do buy anything else but a ford it will be a dodge.
Posted via Mobile Device

Yeah, Man... It's not your fault about the programmer.Chalk it up as a lesson learned! An expensive one at that. I'm a Mopar guy forever after the good luck I've had with my past 2. Hmmm. You should dump the 5,4 and buy my 7.3psd. It's on the classified. I'm selling out!

Junior M
11-09-2010, 12:28 AM
IMO, if your gonna get a gas truck, get a Chevy/GMC. Got 142,000 miles outta my 6.0 in my 2500HD and not a problem.. No problem from anything on the truck..

castlerockmo
11-09-2010, 01:18 AM
IMO, if your gonna get a gas truck, get a Chevy/GMC. Got 142,000 miles outta my 6.0 in my 2500HD and not a problem.. No problem from anything on the truck..

To be completely honest I think the big the make good trucks gas or diesel. I think its just a matter of trim and the overall look of the truck. All three models right now I think look great. I really don't much care for the 2003ish to what 07 body change chevys (avalanche front end), that to me was an ugly truck. But for me I like the look of a ford and the interior of a ford and the overall feel behind the wheel. Those are just my opinions.

But I waiting on ford at this point to figure out if they want to replace the engine or just fix the current one. It was a rod bearing that went out.
Posted via Mobile Device

castlerockmo
01-19-2011, 11:29 AM
So how about an update?!

Driving that truck friday on my way into town and I heard a loud POP under the hood then it dies so I get it off the road and have it towed.

The dealer looks at and say it has a broken rod, piston and four broken caps, "lOoks like a grenade went off" he says. So there going to put a new short block in it but it won't be here for three days! And to top it off... Were suppose to get snow tonight!!! I'm screwed!
Posted via Mobile Device

Hawg City Lawns
01-19-2011, 01:09 PM
So how about an update?!

Driving that truck friday on my way into town and I heard a loud POP under the hood then it dies so I get it off the road and have it towed.

The dealer looks at and say it has a broken rod, piston and four broken caps, "lOoks like a grenade went off" he says. So there going to put a new short block in it but it won't be here for three days! And to top it off... Were suppose to get snow tonight!!! I'm screwed!
Posted via Mobile Device

haha lookie what i got

http://i751.photobucket.com/albums/xx158/joshuabv/0107111318a.jpg

only bad thing.... 2wd

jkilov
01-19-2011, 01:59 PM
5.4 are durable motors but with some known faults:

- Spark plugs ejecting (sounds like your problem) plug thread shot. Solution is new head ($$$$) or calvan insert ($) and proper plug torque as preventive measures
- Coil-over-packs (COP) very sensitive to moisture and short, though not expensive individually can get steep if multiplied. Again preventive measures work best: coat ends with dielectric grease regularly.

jackedf150
01-19-2011, 05:56 PM
The c.o.p's are actually cheap. Search Global Automotive on ebay and you can get 10 for 120 bucks.