PDA

View Full Version : Open Season Saturday

Flatop
11-05-2010, 01:18 AM
Well almost done packing all my hunting gear. Friday morning heading out to the ranch. Wish I can get internet connections out there. Good luck to the other hunters that maybe going out this weekend. Hopefully it does not get to cold.

stan the man
11-05-2010, 10:23 AM
i seen a lot in my back yard this week. last Saturday was opening day for us. but not the big buck that been laying on my back lawn. i will get him. good luck to you.ending of the season i will take a doe if i have to.

93Chevy
11-05-2010, 10:29 AM
What are you going for? I'd love to go to S. Dakota and pheasant hunt, but I have to deal with western PA small game hunting for a few more years.

stan the man
11-05-2010, 10:37 AM
What are you going for? I'd love to go to S. Dakota and pheasant hunt, but I have to deal with western PA small game hunting for a few more years.

i Raise pheasant on my farm. so i have freeze full of them. so i don't have to go out hunting for pheasant.

whosedog
11-05-2010, 11:16 AM
i Raise pheasant on my farm. so i have freeze full of them. so i don't have to go out hunting for pheasant.

Do you farm those 100 acres yourself or do you hire help?My cousin owns 100+ acres in Wisconsin that was left to him when his father died. He leases it to another farmer,he doesn't have time to work it himself as he works 40 hours a week as a machinist.If it's a working farm what do you grow?I spent 2 weeks on that farm when I was 10 years old,best vacation I ever had in my life.We brought the cows in for milking every evening,and got eggs from the henhouse for his mom every morning.They never had a lot of money and had a hard time leaving for vacation as those cows had to be milked every day,but they were able to grow every thing that they needed,even had a few pigs that they raised for market;most of the income came from the milk that they sold to the cheese co-op.

stan the man
11-05-2010, 12:04 PM
150 acres i love farm animals. not in milking.on the farm i 25 beef animals and 10 more coming. goats turkeys donkeys chickens pigs pheasant 6 different types. my chickens donkeys some pheasants and goats walk around free.they know where the barn is for the night and the food . i do it all myself. i mow and hay my 6 fields myself. one thing i like is all the meat. i don't have to go to the store for the meat. a lot of my land is wooded area for hunting. i do go on vacation a friend of my will come over to feed the animals for me. December i am going Texas for week. i am up at 3:00 in the morning 7 days a week. today is raining and i have the smoker going. a lot of my accounts get their eggs from me. buy beef and pork from me. i have 25 freezers i like to get a walk in freeze. i did 20 years in the service and get a check from uncle SAM. i have 3 house rental here and it is all on one road dead end.so you drive down the road you are going to by my place or the rentals. if not you are at the wrong place. i do lawn care i just can sit around i have to do something.

punt66
11-05-2010, 12:14 PM
Already harvested my 2 deer for the season :). Already made a venison meatloaf, jerky, ans sloppy joes!

stan the man
11-05-2010, 12:17 PM
Already harvested my 2 deer for the season :). Already made a venison meatloaf, jerky, ans sloppy joes!

this is the one i am looking for. i did know you like hunting punt66

punt66
11-05-2010, 12:19 PM
this is the one i am looking for. i did know you like hunting punt66

Been hunting since i was a kid. I strictly bow hunt now. I am also a rfered to around here as the "fish whisperer" hahah.

stan the man
11-05-2010, 12:20 PM
this one is the one i am looking for

93Chevy
11-05-2010, 01:31 PM
Been hunting since i was a kid. I strictly bow hunt now. I am also a rfered to around here as the "fish whisperer" hahah.

I never got into archery...I figured it was a gift that I was never interested in acquiring. However, I've always had a lot of respect for bow hunters. My uncle goes out west every year for about a month. Used to hunt whitetail in Iowa and Kansas, but recently he's been hunting mule deer in South Dakota and Wyoming.

unit28
11-05-2010, 09:34 PM
I never got into archery...I figured it was a gift that I was never interested in acquiring. However, I've always had a lot of respect for bow hunters. My uncle goes out west every year for about a month. Used to hunt whitetail in Iowa and Kansas, but recently he's been hunting mule deer in South Dakota and Wyoming.

My mom was born and raised in Wyo.
on 5K acres working ranch inside the Wasatch Mts.

My uncle ran pack trips for Elk up there.

93Chevy
11-05-2010, 09:38 PM
My mom was born and raised in Wyo.
on 5K acres working ranch inside the Wasatch Mts.

My uncle ran pack trips for Elk up there.

I'd love to go out there some day. Not necessarily hunting, but I'd love to see the wildlife and the scenery.

unit28
11-05-2010, 09:57 PM
Yeah, Old West is still alive out there.
we camped out under the stars one July and woke up with snow on us
because of the altitude.

stan the man
11-08-2010, 10:50 AM
this morning i tags out on my back deck. 6 pointer it not one i wanted. but next year on the one wanted .

punt66
11-08-2010, 11:24 AM
this morning i tags out on my back deck. 6 pointer it not one i wanted. but next year on the one wanted .

The illegal way. :laugh:

stan the man
11-08-2010, 11:37 AM
The illegal way. :laugh:

if i can see it jump the fence to get with my animals. it is shooting time. rain today again 4 day of rain.:clapping:

punt66
11-08-2010, 11:39 AM
if i can see it jump the fence to get with my animals. it is shooting time. rain today again 4 day of rain.:clapping:

rain and snow here too.

Flatop
11-09-2010, 12:34 AM
Just returned today at 2pm since leaving Friday morning at 5am. I saw lots of Doe's and Bucks (white tail and Mule deer). My buddy got (2) 8 pointers and a fat doe. I didn't get to shoot anything. I had more fun just watching the deers and relaxing after the long lawn care season. Majority of the doe's that showed up had their off springs with them (some w/2). The Bucks I did see were to small even if they were 8pt. I can't wait for Mule Deer season, saw a 10pt with about 2' high rack. Will have to post pictures. We were hunting west of the Pecos river in La Verdi county. Going again before thanksgiving. Will shoot about 2 does before the rut season (doe's out number the bucks). I don't shoot doe's after thanksgiving.

punt66
11-09-2010, 07:32 AM
Just returned today at 2pm since leaving Friday morning at 5am. I saw lots of Doe's and Bucks (white tail and Mule deer). My buddy got (2) 8 pointers and a fat doe. I didn't get to shoot anything. I had more fun just watching the deers and relaxing after the long lawn care season. Majority of the doe's that showed up had their off springs with them (some w/2). The Bucks I did see were to small even if they were 8pt. I can't wait for Mule Deer season, saw a 10pt with about 2' high rack. Will have to post pictures. We were hunting west of the Pecos river in La Verdi county. Going again before thanksgiving. Will shoot about 2 does before the rut season (doe's out number the bucks). I don't shoot doe's after thanksgiving.

Yup, i usually go after the doe's too. The racks dont taste good :drinkup:

93Chevy
11-09-2010, 08:31 AM
There's so many doe around here, that's all I shoot. I just go for the meat.

Ain't nothing wrong with spending the time to scout and bag a trophy buck, but it just ain't for me :)

stan the man
11-09-2010, 09:13 AM
i have a lot of doe around here to. a lot of baby. i thinking of get somes and put them in the fence in area . i will have to see what permits i will have to get. up north the way up to my camp they is deer farm. one in Hollis Maine to. i pass it on the way to Poland spring bottling company to mowing them. mule deer are bigger then white tail deer right

unit28
11-09-2010, 01:00 PM
TX whitetails aint getting smaller by any means.

New Texas State Record Whitetail Deer:
scoreable rack ....311 4/8

On opening day of the deer season 2010, Mark Barrett of the Las Raices Ranch is now the proud hunter to have taken what just might be the biggest, greatest whitetail buck to ever come out of the state of Texas. With good spring moister to build antler growth things fell into place to grow such a monster buck

kylesturf
11-09-2010, 03:35 PM
Its gonna be another awsome season have season a lot of nice bucks. Good luck to everone
Posted via Mobile Device

AI Inc
11-10-2010, 07:52 AM
I'd love to go out there some day. Not necessarily hunting, but I'd love to see the wildlife and the scenery.

Every American shouls see that area at least once. Ive done it twice on a motorcycle and would go again in a heartbeat.

kylesturf
11-14-2010, 12:47 AM
ooo boys

Went out hunting this saturday.Been hunting this property for 9 years and when me and my dad went to leave there was a note from the owners saying they sold there land. will theres the end of my hunting days for this year.am stressted as it gets harder and harder to find hunting hand.

stan the man
11-14-2010, 09:06 AM
ooo boys

Went out hunting this saturday.Been hunting this property for 9 years and when me and my dad went to leave there was a note from the owners saying they sold there land. will theres the end of my hunting days for this year.am stressted as it gets harder and harder to find hunting hand.

that is to bad.what about asking the new owner i let people hunt on my land just ask

Grandview
11-14-2010, 09:38 AM
Well almost done packing all my hunting gear. Friday morning heading out to the ranch. Wish I can get internet connections out there. Good luck to the other hunters that maybe going out this weekend. Hopefully it does not get to cold.

Texas. How cold can it be 35? Just got a laugh. Hope hunting went well.

stan the man
11-14-2010, 09:50 AM
this Saturday in maine was 62.today waiting for the guy to come and get 4 bulls have them put down

punt66
11-14-2010, 09:55 AM
this Saturday in maine was 62.today waiting for the guy to come and get 4 bulls have them put down

Why put them down? Why not do it yourself?

kylesturf
11-14-2010, 10:16 AM
I do plan to ask the new owners once they move in but hunting season will be over by then.Also thinking about asking some of the other farmer around there for permisson

stan the man
11-14-2010, 11:17 AM
Normally i do if it was one. but i am having 4 done. having 4 done will not cost me a thing.because i mow this guy mothers house. i did fall clean up for her and he is going it for free for the fall clean up. beside that i am doing some chickens and rabbits today.

unit28
11-14-2010, 07:07 PM
Texas. How cold can it be 35? Just got a laugh. .

I lived there in the DFW area for 40 plus years.
In the "off season", I would sell 40 cords of firewood:)

But yeah, set a thermometer out in the lawn in August and you'll see it get near 120 Then it can go down to the teens sometimes in the winter.

No, they don't have 6 months of winter, it usually just goes hot to cold.
Not much of a 4 season state. April it will start getting into the 90's.

stan the man
11-15-2010, 07:27 PM
punt66 here is the picture of my

Junior M
11-16-2010, 07:32 PM
Havent had a good season.. got plenty of pics of the big buck I want coming to my stand.. I havent seen him.. But the guys I hunt with have and got shots off at him but never hit him..

I killed a lil buck early on in the season and got a doe a couple days ago..

Duck season opens here Saturday, so I'll be in Santee till I leave for Ohio this Friday for deer season. :cool2:

stan the man
11-16-2010, 07:38 PM
Havent had a good season.. got plenty of pics of the big buck I want coming to my stand.. I havent seen him.. But the guys I hunt with have and got shots off at him but never hit him..

I killed a lil buck early on in the season and got a doe a couple days ago..

Duck season opens here Saturday, so I'll be in Santee till I leave for Ohio this Friday for deer season. :cool2:

2 week of DEC off to Texas hunting. 1buck 1 doe 1 turkey 1 hog that is my vacation this year

punt66
11-16-2010, 08:14 PM
punt66 here is the picture of my

very nice!

JB1
11-16-2010, 08:20 PM
went with my son hunting last afternoon, I texted him asking if he saw anything, little smartass starts sending me pictures of deer under his stand. he ended up with a nice nine pointer and all I saw was a bird.

swonkeg
11-17-2010, 12:47 PM
This is a picture of my youngest boy's first deer.
7 pointer with a 15.25 inch spread

stan the man
11-17-2010, 01:02 PM
This is a picture of my youngest boy's first deer.
7 pointer with a 15.25 inch spread

good one good for him. i remember the 1st one i got . i remember all of them i got.

Flatop
01-25-2011, 12:54 AM
Here is my first buck ever taken. I was on a hill looking down and spotted the buck walking out in the open instead of in the ravine. 425 yard shot, prop goes to my nikon bdc scope.

txgrassguy
01-25-2011, 10:01 AM
Nice looking juvenile buck. Based upon the length from the brow to nostril I'd say maybe two and a half years old.

I shoot several deer per year for my freezer and this year was no different. Never had to take a 425yrd shot though. My primary weapon is a Steven 200 in 5.56mm with a fixed 4 power 50mm scope firing 55grain HPBT semi-partition projectiles. Great for head and neck shots although I prefer to head shoot 'em. Range averages around 125yds for a "long" shot but mostly are under 80 yards.

Personally I refuse to shoot over a feeder and prefer to stalk them in brush/under grazed ranch land.

Haven't gone hungry in over 30 years.

nameistaken
01-29-2011, 10:04 PM
Shame on you hunters. :nono: (i am being sarcastic :laugh:)