PDA

View Full Version : Should Revealing Identity Be a Requirement Of Participation?

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
11-05-2010, 11:33 AM
Do you think that the quality of participation on this forum would be increased if Lawnsite made it a requirement to register your Name, Company, and Location information? I do.

Hiding behind a shield of anonymity only allows for more controversy and unprofessionalism.

What say you? (go ahead and participate in the poll, it is a blind process and your answers are not being tracked or tagged)

RLDesign
11-05-2010, 11:43 AM
Do you think that the quality of participation on this forum would be increased if Lawnsite made it a requirement to register your Name, Company, and Location information? I do.

Hiding behind a shield of anonymity only allows for more controversy and unprofessionalism.

What say you? (go ahead and participate in the poll, it is a blind process and your answers are not being tracked or tagged)

Hello James,

I just emailed Sean Adams requesting that be a requirement to participate. I do not want to waste my time dealing with or reading all the negative info or personal attacks. I would rather have this site continue to represent itself as the best lighting info related website. If someone wants to lurk in the background without disclosing their info, it is kind of weird but OK. I would still like to know who they are, but not necessary as much as if someone decides to make points, negative remarks, and distasteful accusations - then I want to know who is attacking me. It makes no sense for lawnsite to let them hide behind a veil. I am interested to see what other's think.

Best regards,
Tanek Hood

steveparrott
11-05-2010, 12:01 PM
As I stated in my response to the other post, I believe anonymity in all online forums is a right-to-privacy issue. There might even be a constitutional violation to require otherwise.

Companies who become sponsors take a risk subjecting themselves to a public forum. The moderator does his best to protect the sponsors from attack, but that's a tough job. The best way for us to maintain a civil and beneficial discourse is for all of us to take the high road - put errant users in their place or ignore them.

irrig8r
11-05-2010, 01:54 PM
With all due respect Steve, online anonymity isn't guaranteed by the constitution....

It's up to the owners of a forum to set their own rules. ANd it's up to the participants to post or not based on those rules.

It would seem to me that anonymity increases use, and more users means more profits from advertisers. So maybe the owners of lawnsite.com decided on that basis.

The Dark Side
11-05-2010, 02:41 PM
Been lurking around for a while and noticed all the commotion over here. Best to control by ignoring them. People will always lie about who they are.

bcg
11-05-2010, 03:35 PM
If you're going ot require people to use their real names then you also need to restrict access to only registered users and only allow contractors to register. Since this isn't a restricted, contractor only forum, it's only fair that people be allowed to post anonymously.

nikster78
11-05-2010, 04:40 PM
*trucewhiteflag*Hello Lawnsite. I have been trolling the recent post's and honestly i could care less either way. I am a low on the totem pole when it comes to advertisement, distribution, manufacturing, marketing, infringement rights and the legalities of patent laws. Heck my first marketing attempt has left me empty handed thus far. That means all i have to offer on my resume is the work i have installed for other contractors. I have been the guy that gets the job done for years. Maybe for some of you..lol

I Started out on this site with a rant and since have sat back and read tons of threads learning things that are valuable to the trade"Landscape Lighting". Lately it seems to be a bunch of hog wash. Like politics...I mean i hear talking about Afghanistan drawing up a constitution... Why don't we just give them ours? It was drawn up by a lot of really smart guys, it has worked for centuries and we're not using it anymore. We are all free to speak our mind. Just sayin....

Take what you need from the site leave the rest. Remain anonymous if you want. That just means i can't call and pick your brain or stalk your website..lol. I take what i need and leave the rest. Right now i am striving to get that first job. Make a great impression and perhaps only have to fill the pockets of a supplier and manufactor.

Looking forward to Spring and a huge marketing campaign. Any suggestions?:confused:

Pro-Scapes
11-05-2010, 06:14 PM
I do know there are several competitors here. I know some of mine read the board. I have also been here long enough and met alot of the major contributors here that you know who I am and I have met alot of the major contributors here. I do feel people have a right to privacy and that you should read between the lines and filter out whatever you agree or disagree with. I also feel another private forum should be created for contractors only where we can discuss pricing and such in private. I know the AOLP has this but there is also alot of censorship there based on manufacture presence and board members feelings.

You never know who is lurking out there.

While I dont think that personal attacks should be park of the board here I do feel that matters which may hold info about the stability or avalibility of products or suppliers should be discussed so contractors are informed.

emby
11-05-2010, 09:56 PM
Pro,
Your a smart individual and no one is knocking that. It is quite obvious that you have been around and to be honest I enjoy reading some of your opinions. I have to admit your people skills in my opinion could use some touching up.
I have always looked at this forum from an apprentice point of view because all of you are my journeymen. You all have been so helpful in sharing all your expertise and great ideas which has been amazing for everybody. (especially me)
Past discussions and threads within this forum have proven that you all as a group have set the bar or standard to a higher level. That's why so many people in the industry visit and contribute here.
At some point we all have purchased products to test in our yards to ensure they pass our own quality control before using them in our designs.
To be honest I never thought about your perspective in regards to where our product comes from or who develops them. My worry has always been moisture migration,durability and installation ease. Times are changing with LED's though.
To keep this short I really do appreciate your opinion but lighten up just a bit and write with a sharing point of view when contributing. We all can learn from our conversations of sharing information.
I really could care a less about knowing who is who but what I do care about is a positive environment with positive conversations so that we all can share our experiences. Otherwise the trade and the love and passion of landscape lighting will fade into the dark sky.
Ken

David Gretzmier
11-06-2010, 12:48 AM
PLS, how about a comment from a guy with 3000+ posts and almost 10 years on this board?

and for the record, tanek has stated his business name in more than one thread I have run across. and if you bother to read his posts, he knows his work and does a good job.

My real name has been my sign in from day one. even through all the mistakes I have made in business, and the ones I have written about here, I am not afraid for any of my clients and potential clients read any thread or post I have posted here. On several occaisions I have had new clients mention they googled my name and read a few dozen of the comments I have posted here. What they read encouraged them to hire me. honesty, integrity, professionalism, all would be moved further forward here by everyone being in the open.

The only folks who would be against using thier real name and location are the folks who don't want clients or potential clients to read how they really are or have something to hide.

David Gretzmier
11-06-2010, 01:27 AM
Thanks for mentioning all the things and threads I have been honest and public about. I really have nothing to hide.

The Ryco thread is exactly that, and I am glad you asked ! again, more truth and integrity!- all transformers currently are functioning fine except for the issues mentioned in the thread. I had a customer ask me about them a month or so ago. They read these threads ! I will revive the ryco thread for you.

and to be fair, feel welcome to read and comment the reviews and threads I have done on Volt products, hadco and Coppermoon. you will note I am also truthful on those product testing threads. Again, I like to test products and be aware what is out there and not the good and the bad. I share that info for my cusomters and the regular readers here. Thanks for pointing that out about me. I take that as a compliment.

and since you asked, I usually try to go to sleep at 11:30 or so, but I do have insomnia from time to time.

and thank you for driving home my point about the difference between me and you ! you prove my point ! the difference between my posts and yours lets see: facts, openness, experience, professionalism, excellent tone and a bit of playfulness, these are the reasons why folks like me and hire me , and sadly, not you. sorry.

niteliters
11-06-2010, 11:50 AM
Lately it seems to be a bunch of hog wash. Like politics...I mean i hear talking about Afghanistan drawing up a constitution... Why don't we just give them ours? It was drawn up by a lot of really smart guys, it has worked for centuries and we're not using it anymore. We are all free to speak our mind. Just sayin....

I'm rollin out of my chair nikster!!!! funny, but more and more true