PDA

View Full Version : What are your views, opinion, pros and cons on having a 1800 vanity number?

honeydopm
11-05-2010, 08:36 PM
Im just wondering what people thing about having one and what the pros and cons are. Have you gained business and exposure for your company or was it a waste of money? Id like to hear any opinions from business owners who have them or just people opinions in general.

h2oskier
11-05-2010, 09:24 PM
Why are you going to go state to state mowing? Probably wouldn't be high on my priority list.

honeydopm
11-05-2010, 09:30 PM
Im not doing state to state mowing im talking about some of the vanity numbers these companies offer.

GunnPropertyServices
11-05-2010, 09:32 PM
i dont really see any use for it in this business, you dont have that many ppl calling from out of town, it also makes you look like a franchise, not a local owned company. Local owned companies is what alot of ppl look for.

honeydopm
11-05-2010, 09:40 PM
Im not talking about gaining out of town business. Maybe i worded my post wrong, im talking about the 1855 lawn cut and the 1800 mow my lawn where you buy into there number but for your area.

TheGoat
11-05-2010, 11:08 PM
there is not much point to toll free numbers when most people have free long distance.

honeydopm
11-05-2010, 11:37 PM
You guys are missing the point-im not talking about using a 1800 vanity number for cost reasons or to gain out of area customers. The point is to use it as a marketing tool so you have a number that is easy to remember and catchy ie: 1800 MOW MY LAWN

h2oskier
11-06-2010, 01:55 AM
Just so you know you can request a number from your local phone company so that it goes along with a catchy phrase. As to the 1800-mow-my-lawn thing i think i personally would use that money elsewhere in my marketing program. JMO but the 800-mow-my-lawn seems to be something you could probably do yourself a lot cheaper.

GunnPropertyServices
11-06-2010, 02:16 AM
You guys are missing the point-im not talking about using a 1800 vanity number for cost reasons or to gain out of area customers. The point is to use it as a marketing tool so you have a number that is easy to remember and catchy ie: 1800 MOW MY LAWN

yeah i get it and replied

WenzelOSLLC
11-06-2010, 11:43 AM
You dont need a 1-800 to have a vanity number. You can use a local number but it might be harder to get the wording you want.

I had a 1-800 and no on called it. Always my local. People like local, hometown companies; at least in the suburbs in my area.

Also its easier to dial if its just the numbers. Some people get confused when you want them to call 1-800-mow-lawn. They don't always realize that its 669-5296.

I'd recommend getting a number like 555-555-1212 or 555-555-1111. It's easy to remember and you don't need to look for the letters on the phone (my cell doesn't have them unless you use the onscreen numberpad vs the regular keyboard. And I always use the keyboard because it's easier than going into the menu and what not.)

AdamChrap
11-06-2010, 07:48 PM
Vanity numbers have nothing to do with the tool free call.

The concept is very simple, the number is easily remembered. A prospective customer is driving down the road and sees your billboard, yard sign, truck or hears your radio advertisement. What are they more likely to remember, 330-674-2305 or 1-800-MOW-MY-LAWN? Sure they MAY remember your business name then look you up in the phone book. But what they will also find in the phone book is hundreds of your competitors.

• Ads featuring a 1-800 vanity number generate a higher response rate - 30% or more by modest estimates.
• In a television campaign test of 1-800-PRODIGY versus the numeric equivalent, Prodigy Internet received 25% more response from their vanity number over a 24-hour time period.
• In a national survey, 91% of respondents said they prefer a 1-800 prefix over 1-888 because 1-800 is easier to remember and people reflexively dial the 800 prefix even when calling another toll free exchange.
• In otherwise identical radio ads, the use of 1-800-NEW WHEELS increased response rates by 14 times compared to the use of a numeric toll free number.
• A Chicago Tribune advertising study found that newspaper advertisers using a 1-800 vanity number were getting 10 times the number of responses to those advertising with a local numeric phone number.

Sources: Individuals, Inc; PR Newswire; Alliance for Telecommunications Industry Solutions; Response Marketing Group; Michael J. Motto Advertising; Strategic Telemedia; inter800.com; The Chicago Tribune

honeydopm
11-09-2010, 10:58 PM
Thanks for all the posts and there is definetly some valid points. Lets hear some more opinions and responses.

topsites
11-09-2010, 11:24 PM
I'm guessing 1-800 numbers are pretty much a thing of the past.

AdamChrap
11-10-2010, 06:31 AM
I'm guessing 1-800 numbers are pretty much a thing of the past.

Can you elaborate on why you think that?
Posted via Mobile Device

boneswaller
12-10-2010, 03:42 PM
You can use google voice for a phone number. It's free and you can have it ring on any phone(s) You can try and get a vanity number in your own area code or a near by one. it's completely free!!!! There are a bunch of opitions and tools for free! one really cool thing is that it saves your voice mails, not just for two weeks or so but until you delete them! I just signed up last night and it's awesome!:usflag:god bless google!

AdamChrap
12-10-2010, 05:04 PM
Looks like a neat tool but you are comparing two totally different products that do totaly different things. It isn't even like comparing apples and oranges but more like a apple to a pickup truck.
Google voice is basically giving you some of the extra tools we give you but it does nothing for the nukber its self and top of mind awareness. I have wrote about this kind of thing in our thread.
We knew when we started this the biggest hurdle would be getting people to understand it and use it properly. Some people get it and some don't. It isn't for everyone as you need to use it. It is a great tool but just like any other tool it still doesn't do the work for you. It just makes it easier and in some cases helps you do what you could not have done without it.
Posted via Mobile Device

toddfetters
12-15-2010, 05:02 PM
I think that if you strictly use it as a marketing tool - it certainly could be cheaper than a lot of other types of marketing. If you have good graphics on your vehicle(s) and you can come up with a catchy numberr that is easy to remember, it could be worthwhile. People see you going down the street don't have much time to read what is on your truck. The more it stands out, the better the chance to get a call. Also, I have screwed up in the past by not keeping my advertising simple and clean. I learned the hard way when someone told me it was too small to read when they went by me on the road.

I saw this one site http://www.customtollfree.com/ but there are several others. I googled "free 800 numbers". Most offer a free trial. You will just have to go with what you think fits your business better.

My opinion is - if everyone is doing it a certain way, do it differently. You have to stand out for people to even notice you.

I like the idea and unless you actually try it, you will never know the result.

Hope this helps.