PDA

View Full Version : ipad for landscape lighting

Prolightscaper
11-05-2010, 08:48 PM
How are you using your ipad or other tablet computer in your landscape lighting business?

Display your work?

Website?

Presentation?

Other sales aid?

Bidding?

Design?

Pro-Scapes
11-05-2010, 09:05 PM
ipad for quick lighting v drop calculations. There is an app for it in itunes.

I still preffer pad and paper for sketches and such altho I do use ipad for photo presentation as well. Much easier to carry than a portfolio but I do still carry the portfolio in the truck with me. The ipad can give a dramatic slideshow.

Mark B
11-05-2010, 09:06 PM
I have the iPad. But I have yet to use it for a lighting demo. I am using it for my wuz worth it designs, seems to really useful. Plus I am not sure how I would set it up, meaning a program / app for that. Plus I like to look at other things on it, like fishng stuff.. Lol but someone with the smarts the iPad would be a great tool, be sure to get real nice case (targus).
Posted via Mobile Device

emby
11-05-2010, 09:11 PM
How are you using your ipad or other tablet computer in your landscape lighting business?

Display your work? Yes I do take my laptop with me when having my first meeting with my clients. Its great to show them my designs and pictures. I need some work on my pictures though.
Website? My business cards have all this information on them and I hand them out to all potential clients.

Presentation? I spent a ton of time on my proposal package. I had some a lot of great suggestions and help from people on this site and at the end of the day I know I have one of the best proposal presentation packages going. Very detailed and top notch.

Other sales aid? Word of mouth. Every client is my sales person which means there is no room for mistakes shady designs and installs. If there is one thing that I do its staying on a job site until the customer is totally satisfied and happy enough to share me with their friends.

Bidding? Inferior products, great design and a reasonable price has been working so far. I always do some research on my clients and I want to get to know them as its very important for the final design.

Design? In my opinion this is where I separate myself from my competition. I get personal and provide a great amount of detail with all my designs. I am not in a hurry because I love what I do and I am not in it for quality not quantity. I will probably go broke but this thats me.

Please see the above responses.

Ken

Prolightscaper
11-05-2010, 09:39 PM
If someone developed an on site design and bid app it would be really great.

Somewhere along the lines of taking a photo with the tablet-I know the ipad doesn't have this feature but the iphone does so maybe the next generation- being able to draw directly on the screen, make notes etc. and have everything automatically documented and tallied up with your pricing and so forth. Then wirelessly sent to a printer in the car or truck.

A nice bonus would be to have prompts such as if you have 40 fixtures it will automatically tally 40 lamps, connections, mounts whatever. Transformer sizing,

Really a pipe dream right now. probably would have to be customized to individual business and costly.

Invoices would be much easier and may already exist but again customization required to individual bus.

Maybe someone is viewing this who gets and idea.

extlights
11-05-2010, 10:49 PM
I remember seeing a program a few years back that seemed interesting. From what I remember you can take a picture of the home and d/load it into this program and do all the design work around the photo. I don't know how elaborate it got or how well it actually worked though.

Pro-Scapes
11-05-2010, 11:33 PM
ambience i think it was... maybe kichler put it out... prolandscape also does it but has a crazy learning curve.

An onsite calculation program would be great. I still hand type each proposal personally for each client... maybe that has something to do with my remarkable closing rate ? Time consuming but at this point they have already commited to a design fee.

Mayor_tx
12-04-2010, 01:50 PM
We recently bought an iPad and here are a few apps that I have found useful so far.

Square Inc., This program allows you to accept credit card payments on the spot. There are no fees of any kind except for the 2.75% they charge per transaction, which is much less than my bank had been charging us. This is good for our smaller amount maintenance work. Once you download the app, they offer a free credit card scanner that plugs into your ipad.

iQuote- pretty simple quote generator you can present to customers. show all material costs & labor, (if you have people that really need to know all of that). Then the app allows you to email directly to customer when done.

magicstetchapp- design sketch app. I still prefer the pen & paper when drawing up designs, but this one seems like one of the better for our line of work. Get a stylus to make it easier on you.

Gook luck everyone!

Mayor_tx
12-04-2010, 01:57 PM
Also,

if you like Cast Lighting's system calculator,

open www.cast-lighting.com/calculator/volt-calc.html using Safari

once you have it open, bookmark the page to the desktop and you will be able to use the calculator in the field, even without Wifi.