PDA

View Full Version : Halco Enters the Landscape Lighting Industry

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
11-05-2010, 10:05 PM
I found a new line of products today. Sollos Landscape Lighting. It is a Halco brand and a lot of their line up, specifically their bullets, inground and paths look identical in every respect to Vista. So much so that I suspect that Sollos/Halco has entered into an agreement with Vista to supply them with fixtures (much like the Unique / Seagull arrangement)

Take a look for yourself, check out the spec. sheets and the line drawings... is that not Vista?

http://solloslighting.com/index.jsp?path=home

Have a great weekend.

irrig8r
11-05-2010, 10:32 PM
I found a new line of products today. Sollos Landscape Lighting. It is a Halco brand and a lot of their line up, specifically their bullets, inground and paths look identical in every respect to Vista. So much so that I suspect that Sollos/Halco has entered into an agreement with Vista to supply them with fixtures (much like the Unique / Seagull arrangement)

Take a look for yourself, check out the spec. sheets and the line drawings... is that not Vista?

Have a great weekend.

BTW James, where did you run across them?

irrig8r
11-05-2010, 10:47 PM
Did you see the Sollos warranty info?

* Stainless Steel transformers feature a lifetime warranty
* All Brass, Antique Brass and Copper fixtures are warranted for 10 years
* Stainless Steel fixtures feature a lifetime warranty
* Composite fixtures are warranted for 10 years
* When installed in a Sollos Bullet or In-Ground Fixture, ProLED lamps feature a 20 year warranty

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
11-05-2010, 11:18 PM
I am pretty sure I don't have to explain this for the 99% of you now wasting your time on this thread... but here goes; just for you PLS

My reference to the thread being deleted has nothing to do with the actual content and everything to do with the silly banter that it has sprouted. At this point, if the Moderators choose to delete the thread I will fully understand their decision.

Nobody is trying to maliciously censor you PLS and the Sponsors here are far more moderate and accommodating than you give them credit for. However, even you must admit... many of your posts are inflammatory and negative and all from a position of anonymity (which only discredits your opinions further). Perhaps if you played a bit nicer in the sandbox you would find more favour?

David Gretzmier
11-05-2010, 11:33 PM
This thread will probably be deleted, but I'll chime in too. PLS is like a ton of other folks on boards all over the internet. They need attention like crazy. so they pick fights and get others to engage them, and it feeds some sick need inside thier soul.

I have this same type of jr high school behavior on here dozens of times over the last 10 years or so. what seems to be the only thing to work for this type of internet bully is if all the regular posters here just ignore his posts and threads, and eventually he will play nice or go away.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
11-06-2010, 06:36 AM
BTW James, where did you run across them?

Hi Gregg. I learned of Sollos from an email blast sent out from CLL.

I have sent and email to the Top Dogs at Vista and will let you know what, if anything, they report back to me with.

I suspect that it is just good business sense from Vista`s point of view. Things have slowed down and they have a lot of idle manufacturing capacity, so why not find a `licensee`in order to try to increase demand and keep the factory working.

Regards

Tim R.
11-06-2010, 08:05 AM
Hey David and James,

Sollos is being distributed here in INDY at several locations. To me their products look to have a blending of hadco and Vista to be sure, but once you hold their aluminum fixtures in your hand you can feel the differences. Their aluminum seems to me to be a bit more light weight than Vistas and the powder coating is smooth, much like you would see with Hadco's fixtures and not the "mild grit sandpaper" powder of vista. Their pricepoint is very low which will no doubt make them an attractive choice to many contractors. Time will tell.

RobZimmerman
11-06-2010, 09:02 AM

Have a great weekend.
Hey everyone...

As the Vista rep in the midwest, and having first seen these fixtures at the IA show last year (again at Lightfair in Vegas), I can assure you they are NOT supplied by us and we are in no way affiliated with Halco/Sollos. Any speculation of such is completely false.

Beyond that, I can't speak for anything else with regard to this product line. Though, I agree with you, there are too many similarities to go unnoticed.

Thanks,
Rob

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
11-06-2010, 09:54 AM
I have not seen or touched the product yet. My impressions were taken solely from the images, spec sheets and line drawings that I saw on the website. It would appear they are identical copies to the Vista product.

I have been asked to "retract my comments on lawnsite" by my Vista Rep. Well I don't know that I could or would retract them as I am simply asking the questions and seeking the answers.

Vista claims that they have nothing to do with Halco/Sollos. That is good enough for me. I have little to no reason to doubt them. I just thought the line looked too close to the original for it not to be from the same factory.

Regards.

indylights
11-06-2010, 10:13 AM
These lights have been out for at least a year around here, nothing new. I think Halco figured since all these manufacturers were asking for their lamps, why not just supply them in fixtures. Very big box store like in my opinion in terms of quality. The warranty may be okay, but who cares about a warranty if you constantly have to go back and change the fixture. Just my two cents.

Scott Maloney
Sunflower Landscapes

irrig8r
11-06-2010, 01:00 PM
Hey everyone...

As the Vista rep in the midwest, and having first seen these fixtures at the IA show last year (again at Lightfair in Vegas), I can assure you they are NOT supplied by us and we are in no way affiliated with Halco/Sollos. Any speculation of such is completely false.

Beyond that, I can't speak for anything else with regard to this product line. Though, I agree with you, there are too many similarities to go unnoticed.

Thanks,
Rob

Interesting. And as Tim R. mentioned, some do look like Hadco products too.

All I can figure is that it must either be difficult and expensive to obtain and defend product design patents internationally, or these copied designs whose patents had already expired, or both.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
11-06-2010, 01:17 PM
The thing that gets me is that the Sollos ingrade fixture looks exactly like the Vista 52xx line, and Vista just updated that fixture in late 2009.

Assuming that the Sollos line is being knocked off and produced in China, there is little that can be done about patent enforcement there. I have looked into patenting stuff from China and it can be done, but there is little to no enforcement and so the whole exercise can be futile. I would think that some USA patents are being infringed upon though... but will leave that up to Vista to pursue.

Ultimately it doesn't really matter to me, I just thought it was interesting and assumed (you know what happens! lol ) that there must be some deal between them.

Oh, and so for those of you who were following the 'antics' here last night. PLS (it would appear) was right and I was wrong. :)

irrig8r
11-08-2010, 01:02 PM
Oh, and so for those of you who were following the 'antics' here last night. PLS (it would appear) was right and I was wrong. :)

Crow (or humble pie) (http://www.worldwidewords.org/articles/eatcrow.htm). It's what's for dinner.

ELumin8
11-25-2010, 07:17 PM
Sollos has developed this product line with recognition that LED's are going to eat up a large portion of their replacement lamp business. The line was created with assistance from Lee Carbone, the previous owner and founder of CopperMoon. Sollos is made overseas, my guess is probably by the same factory that's used for most of the CopperMoon line we see today.