PDA

View Full Version : PG Magnum Maintenance

redbuckcavs
11-06-2010, 09:58 AM
My starter rope on 2006 Magnum tore this A.M. I fought to get the assembly off and now installed a new rope, but cant get the stupid thing back on the moter ( horrible design..would be nice to have another 1" to work with)

any suggestions or am I missing something obvious....Thanks in adcance

Jason Rose
11-06-2010, 10:09 AM
Just about every time I start mine I think about that cord snapping. Its the same age as yours I think... Working on things on them is tough, no doubt. That's the price paid for building something so compact. Ever work on a Walker mower? Lol.
Posted via Mobile Device

NattyLawn
11-06-2010, 11:19 AM
I had a local place cut out a half moon section of the frame so it's easier to get the assembly on and off. They said it wouldn't compromise the integrity of the frame and I haven't had any issues. I usually replace the rope twice per season.

JD2320
11-06-2010, 02:03 PM
My starter rope on 2006 Magnum tore this A.M. I fought to get the assembly off and now installed a new rope, but cant get the stupid thing back on the moter ( horrible design..would be nice to have another 1" to work with)

any suggestions or am I missing something obvious....Thanks in adcance

My suggestion.

Sell that thing and buy a Z-Spray.They have electric start and put a PG to shame performance and reliability wise. Hell you're in Indiana where they are too.

thomsoutdoor
11-06-2010, 03:19 PM
I had a local place cut out a half moon section of the frame so it's easier to get the assembly on and off. They said it wouldn't compromise the integrity of the frame and I haven't had any issues. I usually replace the rope twice per season.

Thats what I ended up doing. It added no support so I just cut it away. It was a pain but the only other way that I could think of was to unbolt the motor and everything else just to slide it back. I attached a picture that will give you some idea.

RigglePLC
11-07-2010, 12:15 PM
It is possible. I replaced my starter rope (before it broke), without taking it apart, on my PG.

Pull the rope out to the end. Jam the starter with a screwdriver to hold it. Just bend a couple airscreen slots for clearance. Grab the knot with needle nose pliars. Pull all 5 feet of the rope out. Attach a new rope to the old rope (either end) with super glue, hot glue or a couple staples. Pull it back through. Tie a new knot.

If the rope is broken...good luck.

cgaengineer
11-07-2010, 02:53 PM
It is possible. I replaced my starter rope (before it broke), without taking it apart, on my PG.

Pull the rope out to the end. Jam the starter with a screwdriver to hold it. Just bend a couple airscreen slots for clearance. Grab the knot with needle nose pliars. Pull all 5 feet of the rope out. Attach a new rope to the old rope (either end) with super glue, hot glue or a couple staples. Pull it back through. Tie a new knot.

If the rope is broken...good luck.

Damn, that's quite a way to fix a rope!!

ted putnam
11-07-2010, 04:28 PM
My suggestion.

Sell that thing and buy a Z-Spray.They have electric start and put a PG to shame performance and reliability wise. Hell you're in Indiana where they are too.

Sounds like a great idea. I already have a Jr. but I also have a PG Ultra. I was looking at the pics of your Jr. 36. I think the Ultra is headed for the auction block this spring and LT Rich will have another order. That's my plan anyway.