PDA

View Full Version : last to areate

R & R Yard Designs
11-06-2010, 01:38 PM
When would you guy stop areating around the Midwest chicagoland area, we have some more to do and the one lady said it is way to late and she doesn't want it done now
Posted via Mobile Device

JD2320
11-06-2010, 02:18 PM
When the ground freezes technically. You need to educate her on what aeration is, how it works, and why it works, and why now is an ok time to aerate.

Between you and me though a few weeks ago you wouldn't have had the problem. Why are you so late on the aeration's? If you're aerating in November you're behind in my opinion.

Service 1st Lawn Care
11-06-2010, 07:01 PM
When the ground freezes technically. You need to educate her on what aeration is, how it works, and why it works, and why now is an ok time to aerate.

Between you and me though a few weeks ago you wouldn't have had the problem. Why are you so late on the aeration's? If you're aerating in November you're behind in my opinion.

JD November is not too late maybe your weather up there has been good this season. But the weather here in IL has sucked all year, hell I'm just starting my last round. Temps here next week high 60's so no it's not to late to aerate.

JD2320
11-06-2010, 08:38 PM
JD November is not too late maybe your weather up there has been good this season. But the weather here in IL has sucked all year, hell I'm just starting my last round. Temps here next week high 60's so no it's not to late to aerate.

Well up here we have a deadline in a lot of communities too. One of my largest areas has a Nov. 10th cut off and the other large one has a Nov. 15th cutoff, or....sooner if the soil temps reach 38 degrees so it's real important to stay on schedule here. I expect sooner or later you will all have this rule too as it is spreading around. We also can not start in these communities until April 1st or when soil temps reach 38 degrees whichever comes first.

Sometimes you have to work in the rain. There's just no way around it. Or the dry weather too. We had one rain in like 8 weeks during late summer and fall.

Exact Rototilling
11-07-2010, 11:37 PM
I try to aerate so there is at least 3 mowings to break up the plugs in the fall. In the spring I've done power rakings in past years for clients and I see a fair amount of intact plugs sitting there from the prior fall. If the soil microbes are to be effective in breaking down thatch...the soil needs to be freed up from the cores and distributed on top of the lawn.

turfcobob
11-08-2010, 09:14 AM
Well up here we have a deadline in a lot of communities too. One of my largest areas has a Nov. 10th cut off and the other large one has a Nov. 15th cutoff, or....sooner if the soil temps reach 38 degrees so it's real important to stay on schedule here. I expect sooner or later you will all have this rule too as it is spreading around. We also can not start in these communities until April 1st or when soil temps reach 38 degrees whichever comes first.

Sometimes you have to work in the rain. There's just no way around it. Or the dry weather too. We had one rain in like 8 weeks during late summer and fall.

who is making these rules to shut down aeration? They should read the studies done by schools like Michigan State about aeration. Opening the ground late is good unless you have a very dry winter and damage then is still minimal. Aerate till it freezes.

mikesturf
11-14-2010, 10:02 AM
When would you guy stop areating around the Midwest chicagoland area, we have some more to do and the one lady said it is way to late and she doesn't want it done now
Posted via Mobile Device

You always a few people that have their own thories on lawn care and no matter what you say, they think they know more than you. You may convince her that it is ok to aerate now, but she may never call you back again.

I try to finish all my aerations by end of Oct so I only have my last fert round to focus on in Nov.

I always have a few people call in early Nov to aerate, I still do them.