PDA

View Full Version : Induction Light

emby
11-06-2010, 06:21 PM
Thought maybe some of you would be interested in watching this. Pretty interesting.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlU-_WtyIFM

Alan B
11-07-2010, 09:12 AM
Ken,

Thanks for posting the link... very interesting. I tried looking up the disadvantages of Induction and Plasma Lamps but could not find much. It would be interesting to hear where these techs will fit in with LED and why there has been less publicity even though the tech has been around since late 90's.

By the way the factory in the vid is very much what you see all over china when visiting lighting factories.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
11-07-2010, 11:27 AM
Induction and Plasma Arc technologies are very cool there is no doubt of that. But they require relatively huge ballasts and have some climatic limitations. Certainly not suitable for our purposes any time soon.

Plasma Arc lamps are quite amazing. I have been watching them develop for a couple of years. Hopefully someone will come up with a way of miniaturizing their circuits/ ballasts so that the relatively tiny lamps can be used in different types of residential applications. Roadway, industrial and commercial solutions always seem to come first of course.

Tomwilllight
11-09-2010, 07:58 PM
James is right. Induction lamps are very useful in many ways but they are NOT YET small sources. Today they are what is called by some, a BLOB source. The bigger the source the bigger the lamp and the bigger the fixture holding the lamp and the bigger the blob of light coming out.

I've heard them referred to as florescent lamps on steroids.

When you think Induction lamps, you are thinking big. Big like street lights. Portland, Oregon has a series of demonstration projects for street lighting using LEDs, various HID sources, florescent and Induction lamps. Next time you are in town, I'll take you on a tour to look at them all. Many are a short walk from the new Director Park. I think you'll learn to identify the induction lamps very quickly.

The basic thing you should know about designing optics is that small tight sources makes it easy to develop reflectors that create shaped beams. Beams that can be directed to light that shrub... not ALL of the yard.

The smaller the source, the smaller the reflector and that is the essential magic behind the MR16. It uses a small source (tightly wound tungsten wire) inside of 2 inch diameter reflector that may be carefully designed to create distributions anywhere between 7.5 degrees to 60+ degrees. They are really flexible little beasts those MR16's.

Tom