PDA

View Full Version : Hurricane Blo-Vac review

mowerbrad
11-06-2010, 10:15 PM
So I have had the opportunity to demo a hurricane blo-vac this weekend. So far I am very impressed and it definately saves time over using backpack leaf blowers. Since not too many people have had an opportunity to experience this piece of equipment, I want to a least give you guys an idea of how well it works.

If you haven't used a stand-on lawn mower before, this machine is going to feel very weird to you. The unit is pretty light, so manuvering it through lawns is easy and doesn't do any damage to the turf. Plus the machine is extremely narrow, it shouldn't have a problem fitting through 36" gates. The machine is a little light in the front end, but you are able to get off the standing platform and walk behind the unit for hilly areas or hopping curbs. Its fairly comfortable to ride on, the leaning pad is pretty thick and soft, and the platform does have springs in it to help with the bumps.

The controls on the machine are exactly like the controls on a ztr or stander. The one thing you need to get used to with the controls are the switches that open and close the discharge deflectors. Other than that, if you can drive a ztr, you can drive this machine.

The power of this machine is amazing. I own a BR600, which I always thought was very powerful and would go through heavy amounts of leaves with ease...little did I know that compared to this hurricane the BR600 looks like a battery powered leaf blower. If anyone thinks that their push blowers could even compete with this unit, I have to inform you that you would surely be wrong.

The blower's discharge has two separate deflectors that can aim the air up or down. If you aim one deflector down and leave the other one fully opened, you can get the leaves close to the machine (including the one stuck to the ground) and you can blow the leaves quite far distances. Over concrete you can easily blow leaves 30+ feet. In a lawn with moderate leaves, you can easily blow your row of leaves 15 feet in one pass.

Overall I have been very impressed with this machine. Right now, it is a little expensive for me to justify. But I'd say that in a year or two when the price may go down just a little more, I could definately see myself buying one.

Here's two videos for you guys off my phone....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MsQWzw8Yec
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oH3HMwmMBgo

If you have any questions about the unit, let me know.

STIHL GUY
11-06-2010, 10:33 PM
i saw one of these on display at my dealers the other day...do you know how much $$ they go for?

mowerbrad
11-06-2010, 10:43 PM
I believe they are about $9000 now. When they first came out they were $11,000 or so. The owners of the company are just north of my town. I've actually met the owners and seen the original prototype machine. They have a great product, I think it definately needs to come down to the $7000 range in order for more people to buy these.

But this unit definately has its place.

Mowbizz
11-06-2010, 10:44 PM
Be nice to ride around but for $12 grand I love my Billy Goat 9 horse push blower!

BCL Services
11-06-2010, 11:26 PM
Yes, they will need to be in a much lower pricepoint to sell many units. Neat idea, but overpriced.

GreenGiant94
11-06-2010, 11:29 PM
Looks sweet! Did you try using the vac?

demhustler
11-07-2010, 06:53 PM
I believe they are about $9000 now. When they first came out they were $11,000 or so. The owners of the company are just north of my town. I've actually met the owners and seen the original prototype machine. They have a great product, I think it definately needs to come down to the $7000 range in order for more people to buy these.

did you saw smaller version (less expencive)?
(pict. from been one of reasent threads)

mowerbrad
11-07-2010, 08:43 PM
Looks sweet! Did you try using the vac?

I wasn't able to get the vac attachment for this demo. I have seen (in person) the vac attachment. It hooks up easy and does have lots of suction.

did you saw smaller version (less expencive)?
(pict. from been one of reasent threads)

Haven't seen the smaller version in person yet...only pictures of it on here. The smaller one is definately more economical, but not quite as much power.

Runner
11-07-2010, 08:48 PM
Yes, they will need to be in a much lower pricepoint to sell many units. Neat idea, but overpriced.
WAY WAY overpriced. :rolleyes::dizzy:

THEGOLDPRO
11-07-2010, 09:07 PM
WAY WAY overpriced. :rolleyes::dizzy:

i'd say thats subjective, depends how much fall cleanup you do, if your small time and only do a few thousand a year in fall cleanups then its not for you. i will tell you what if they drop the big one down to 7-8k i will def buy one without hesitation.

Bumpmaster
11-07-2010, 09:16 PM
Sure would be nice if you could blow in both directions instead of just one. The machine would be twice as fast.

GreenGiant94
11-07-2010, 09:35 PM
Yeah I think the vac on the bigger one is a big plus. The smaller one cant vac right?

Mowerboy04
11-07-2010, 09:39 PM
we have 3 of them at work. When i first got it i hated it just because i wasn't familiar with controls and how to run the unit properly and i would blow grass and leafs everywhere but where i wanted them. But now that ive been using them for a few weeks i love them and don't think i could go back to doing leaf clean ups with out one.

sven1277
11-18-2010, 08:43 PM
I understand that they are working on a new version that will accept different attachments to make it more versatile. I would love to get one but need the price to be around $7k to make it worth the investment. It would be great to have it as a back up leaf vac, too.

MrksLndscp
10-25-2011, 08:10 PM
I just picked up our new Hurricane today, this thing is amazing!!! I was able to try out the vac and it went right through the grass pile. I was also able to do a cleanup in 10 minutes that normally took me over an hour. I can't wait to test it out on some full blown clean ups.

djagusch
10-25-2011, 08:34 PM
What is the current price on the unit?

THEGOLDPRO
10-25-2011, 08:48 PM
I just picked up our new Hurricane today, this thing is amazing!!! I was able to try out the vac and it went right through the grass pile. I was also able to do a cleanup in 10 minutes that normally took me over an hour. I can't wait to test it out on some full blown clean ups.

Nice man, Does that one have the new subaru on it?

supercuts
10-25-2011, 09:07 PM
thread hi-jack......mine doesnt blow quite a many CFMs but it blows and doesnt cost 1/2 of $7k, its a giant vac 16z (16HP). i think they were about $3k. mine has been modified to my liking

Puddle of Oil
10-25-2011, 09:53 PM
Subscribed!

MrksLndscp
10-25-2011, 10:21 PM
It does have the 25HP Subaru. The dealer had a couple of leftover 27 Kohlers but I had heard good things about Subaru so I went that direction

MrksLndscp
10-25-2011, 10:22 PM
What is the current price on the unit?

The Blower was $8500 and that vac kit was another $1499.

djagusch
10-25-2011, 10:45 PM
The Blower was $8500 and that vac kit was another $1499.

After you use the vac kit let us know how well it works. Some pics and specs of the vac kit would be nice also.

nepatsfan
10-25-2011, 11:09 PM
I bought the 314 about a month ago. Works really well. The difference between this and one of your regular walk behind blowers is that the impellar is a lot bigger than a regular walk behind. Think of it like a fan with a lot bigger paddles. Even if the horsepower is the same you're gonna move more air. It also has the abilitly to have one pointing up and one down picking the leaves out of the grass and moving the pile at the same time. This is a huge benefit to a regular walk behind.

THEGOLDPRO
10-26-2011, 11:42 AM
I bought the 314 about a month ago. Works really well. The difference between this and one of your regular walk behind blowers is that the impellar is a lot bigger than a regular walk behind. Think of it like a fan with a lot bigger paddles. Even if the horsepower is the same you're gonna move more air. It also has the abilitly to have one pointing up and one down picking the leaves out of the grass and moving the pile at the same time. This is a huge benefit to a regular walk behind.

Yea i have this same convo with alot of people saying its no stronger then a 14hp little wonder or fraden or whatever, I put it side by side to the little wonder and the blower housing is like 3 inches wider and a few inches higher. all the way around. Not to mention the size of the impeller is huge compaired to most everything else on the show room floor.

One of these days i'm going to find someone who isn't scared to let me test their 14hp little wonder side by side to the hurricane and post the results.

nepatsfan
11-19-2011, 08:31 AM
The thing is an absolute beast. It has saved us tons of time doing cleanups. The guys love it too because they don't work as hard, aren't as tired at the end of the day, and actually enjoy doing cleanups. They switch off from property to property.

THEGOLDPRO
11-23-2011, 08:18 PM
The thing is an absolute beast. It has saved us tons of time doing cleanups. The guys love it too because they don't work as hard, aren't as tired at the end of the day, and actually enjoy doing cleanups. They switch off from property to property.

I told you :)

4 seasons lawn&land
11-25-2011, 07:51 PM
So how does the loader fuction of these things compare to a real leaf loader? is the 25 horse motor as good as a 13 or 18 horse truck loader? If I bought one I wouldnt bother buying a leaf loader next year.

Watkins
12-06-2011, 01:36 AM

You know, the original is for sale, the prototype.
It's selling for 2k and if you want the phone number or pics I can provide them to you upon request.

franchise
02-08-2012, 09:22 AM
It does have the 25HP Subaru. The dealer had a couple of leftover 27 Kohlers but I had heard good things about Subaru so I went that direction

Just word of advice because these are a big investment, looks like you picked it up towards the end of the year so you haven't used it much.

CHECK OIL EVERYDAY!! on the Subaru, hopefully the issue has been solved but they burn oil. Also make sure the cooling fan (rear of the engine near hydro pumps) is clear of any debris.

franchise
02-28-2012, 10:29 AM
I have a couple for sale right now if Interested!!