PDA

View Full Version : PG Magnum...Where did you go?

rcreech
11-07-2010, 11:41 AM
I can't believe that PG quit making the Magnum!

It just has its place on smaller lawns and hard to get around areas.

The new PG is WAY too complicated and I don't like having to load two tanks or the price.

I can't really find anything to replace it with that I like. It is a very simple machine and does a great job and now I am STUCK with a 2008 unit and can't update it or replace it.

Would love to got with a Z but it is too large, thought about the T but it is way too much $$$$ and looking at possibly getting the PG look alike (can't remember its name) but not sure I like the handles.

Hurry up Lawn Solutions and get a machine on the market so I can buy it!

So far I guess I am going to have the 2008 PG totally redone over the winter. It has 600+ hours on it and is starting to bother me!!!!!

turf hokie
11-07-2010, 01:18 PM
Why is the z too large?
I have one PG in the graveyard and 2 more that are on the way. Looking to replace 2 of them with 1 z while using the pg as a back up just in case. I was thinking of the jr36. Do you not think that would be a good replacement for the pg?

I already use the z-max on 80% of the properties that can have a machine on them.

rcreech
11-07-2010, 08:15 PM
I already have a Z Max and a Z Jr and I love them.

It is more of my setup then anything as I want to use it on a carrier rack.

I should't say the Z it too big...I should have said I just wanted a smaller machine for transport and 36" gates.
The Z Jr 36 is for sure a great replacement and that is probably the way I will go eventually.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
11-07-2010, 08:19 PM
PG lookalike - were you thinking the Ground Logic Pathfinder unit?

rcreech
11-07-2010, 09:11 PM
Yep
Know much about it?

I dont know anything bout it
Posted via Mobile Device

JD2320
11-07-2010, 09:21 PM
Yep
Know much about it?

I dont know anything bout it
Posted via Mobile Device

It's not stainless steel I can tell you that much.

Bugeater1
11-07-2010, 09:23 PM
Between the design of the handles and the bearings in the pivot hinge, the Pathfinder is very easy to use, even loaded with fert and weed control. I replaced a 98 Pg centri this year, which still kinda works, just very tired.

rcreech
11-07-2010, 09:23 PM
It looks like it is in the pics

R u sure

Wuldnt even consider it then
Posted via Mobile Device

Bugeater1
11-07-2010, 09:25 PM
Check out the website, frame is 100% stainless steel

rcreech
11-07-2010, 09:27 PM
I just looked on their site again and it says "100% stainless steel construction"

It looks exactly like a PG
Posted via Mobile Device

rcreech
11-07-2010, 09:28 PM
Between the design of the handles and the bearings in the pivot hinge, the Pathfinder is very easy to use, even loaded with fert and weed control. I replaced a 98 Pg centri this year, which still kinda works, just very tired.

Do u like it
What is the cost of the unit
Posted via Mobile Device

JD2320
11-07-2010, 09:35 PM
I just looked on their site again and it says "100% stainless steel construction"

It looks exactly like a PG
Posted via Mobile Device

They must have gone to stainless then because I don't think it used to be when it first came out. Maybe I'm thinking of something else I dunno.

Why would you even waste time worrying about it. Or a new solutions sprayer if they ever made one. Just use the 36 or get another 36.

Bugeater1
11-07-2010, 09:37 PM
Around $6895, may call to comfirm that price. It is alot easier to use than my old PG. Does everything I need it to.

rcreech
11-08-2010, 08:25 AM
Around $6895, may call to comfirm that price. It is alot easier to use than my old PG. Does everything I need it to.

Do you like the handle set up?

Bugeater1
11-08-2010, 09:29 AM
The handle set up is very comfortable, easy to steer. Feels like you have more leverage to handle the machine. I also have a exmark walk behind with similar design. What are the other units priced at? I did not check, as this type of unit I was familiar with and fit my operation.

dmcenery
11-08-2010, 04:37 PM
Bug,

How about the spray system w/ that machine? It it better than the Magnum?

DA Quality Lawn & YS
11-08-2010, 06:45 PM
Nice conversation about the pathfinder. But $7K for that?....I dunno I was hoping closer to $5K for something basically a PG.

a plus bob
11-08-2010, 06:54 PM
I looked the Pathfinder over at GIE.If I wasnt going to buy a Z SPRAY I would go with it over a T3000.It has less plastic than a PG and looks sealed up better.

grassman177
11-08-2010, 07:48 PM
those are my thoughts too aplusbob, but still would go with a 36 jr zspray first and formost

a plus bob
11-08-2010, 07:51 PM
those are my thoughts too aplusbob, but still would go with a 36 jr zspray first and formost

Only if for some reason they stopped making a JR 36.I have been thinking about adding one.I will haul it on a rack :)

Bugeater1
11-08-2010, 08:14 PM
The spray system has a pressure regulator so you can change your output, also has agitation. There are 2 tips, one for broadband and one for trimming. Not sure about the PG mag spray, I had the centri. I also checked my invoice on the unit it was around $6700, not $6895

DA, How long has it been since a PG unit was $5k. This is alot better built than PG in MY opinion.

JD2320
11-08-2010, 08:52 PM
That's another thing I am not comfortable with is those floodjet nozzles that are on the T-PG and this thing you guys are discussing. I don't want to be trying to hit weeds five feet on either side of my machine with a low volume mist in any kind of wind. With a small boom like on the Z I can lower my pressure, slow down, and not have any off target drift. Honestly I don't like the idea of tossing low volume mist out even on a calm day. Seems risky at best.

turfcobob
11-09-2010, 09:48 AM
That's another thing I am not comfortable with is those floodjet nozzles that are on the T-PG and this thing you guys are discussing. I don't want to be trying to hit weeds five feet on either side of my machine with a low volume mist in any kind of wind. With a small boom like on the Z I can lower my pressure, slow down, and not have any off target drift. Honestly I don't like the idea of tossing low volume mist out even on a calm day. Seems risky at best.

The T does not put out a low volume mist. The tip used on the T is a High Flow Fan nozzle that puts out a flat spray of liquid at 40 psi. This flat spray turns to drops that impact the plant leaves and splatter for more coverage. We have used this nozzle without drift in winds past 20mph. It was orginally designed to spray down through corn leaves to get the weeds. It does not put out a mist.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
11-09-2010, 10:33 AM
All I was saying as PG's seem very overpriced for what you get. Get a T or Z for just a little more $$ and a LOT more features.

JD2320
11-09-2010, 10:46 AM
The T does not put out a low volume mist. The tip used on the T is a High Flow Fan nozzle that puts out a flat spray of liquid at 40 psi. This flat spray turns to drops that impact the plant leaves and splatter for more coverage. We have used this nozzle without drift in winds past 20mph. It was orginally designed to spray down through corn leaves to get the weeds. It does not put out a mist.

Call it what you want Bob, (Spray/Mist) I personally would not be comfortable throwing low volume concentrated mix 5 feet from the nozzles when I am near beds, or expensive landscapes. Especially in and moderate wind conditions.

It's also a little less operator friendly with increased inhalation risks and of course these are just my own personal opinions.

It simply increases your risk of off target drift and application and I'm skeptical at your claim of no drift with that nozzle in 20 MPH winds and higher as you claim. No offense.

turfcobob
11-09-2010, 01:27 PM
Call it what you want Bob, (Spray/Mist) I personally would not be comfortable throwing low volume concentrated mix 5 feet from the nozzles when I am near beds, or expensive landscapes. Especially in and moderate wind conditions.

It's also a little less operator friendly with increased inhalation risks and of course these are just my own personal opinions.

It simply increases your risk of off target drift and application and I'm skeptical at your claim of no drift with that nozzle in 20 MPH winds and higher as you claim. No offense.

When you are near beds you do not use the wide application nozzle. You use the TRIM NOZZLE. It also puts out a no / very little drift pattern using a Flood Jet Nozzle in the horizontal position so it does not go where you do not want it. It is also located under the bumper inside the wheels spraying straight down. Have you ever used, driven or even seen one of the T 3000 in operation?

JD2320
11-09-2010, 02:18 PM
No I haven't. I've seen the videos of the spray system and have been doing this for three decades using a lot of different boom setups including flood jet nozzles.

It looks like a good machine, I don't begrudge you that. There's just a few things I don't prefer about it is all.

FdLLawnMan
11-10-2010, 09:34 PM
I have over 600 hrs on my T3000 with the single nozzle and really like the setup. It is not quite as good in the wind as the setup you are talking about but it works for me 95% of the time. I can spray in winds from around 15 to 20 mph. After that I head to town.

grassman177
11-10-2010, 09:58 PM
i tried to spray once in 15 mph and i got some updraft to the trees, it was a dump move, but they only got some curl and no real lasting damage. i think i learned about spraying in the country on that one.