PDA

View Full Version : Toro Dingo TX420 Review this model

WGrnd21
11-07-2010, 04:15 PM
For those who have used this model Dingo how many hours are on your machine. I'm looking to purchase this specific model used. Any input/reviews would be great.

BrandonV
11-17-2010, 10:33 PM
Buy a ditchwitch instead. Sk650 is the best thing going.
Posted via Mobile Device

jeremy's lc
11-17-2010, 11:33 PM
I agree the sk 650 is a great machine. I got around 700 hours on mine and i love it.

koster_irrigation
11-25-2010, 10:15 PM
Ive had the 425, bought it new in 05' . Ive had NO mechanical problems. Almost 700 hours now.
Had to replace the tracks once. Machine has had maybe one tune up.

I wont be selling it, just keep it for a backup or second unit when we're really busy. Ive had
alot of times this year alone when ive needed two installation crews going at once, but we managed with one.
(Alot of good scheduling and good timing)

I use only for trenching. FYI The high torque trencher attachment runs ALOT stonger than bobcats version. I demoed the vermeer and the ditchwitch, and didnt like the controls.
I've got the trench cover up attachment, boring attachment, and two trencher units, one for a spare while the other is getting fixed. and the bucket/forks.

Next machine i buy will have a DIESEL engine. No questions asked. If you have some spare money to burn you need to go this route.

If i could improve one thing on this machine it would be the tracks. After about 50% wear, they tend to slip and come off on slight hills/grades. You can tighten them up, and that seems to help. But you really have to watch it while on slopes.
I bought aftermarket tracks from rubbertrax.com they were about half the cost. No problems so far, a few hundred hrs on them.

SDLandscapes VT
11-26-2010, 12:04 AM
have ditchwitch SK650....would go this way again

greatdanerunner
11-28-2010, 05:34 PM
I have the the small sk350 and love it!

juststartin
12-21-2010, 07:54 PM
Ive had the 425, bought it new in 05' . Ive had NO mechanical problems. Almost 700 hours now.
Had to replace the tracks once. Machine has had maybe one tune up.

I wont be selling it, just keep it for a backup or second unit when we're really busy. Ive had
alot of times this year alone when ive needed two installation crews going at once, but we managed with one.
(Alot of good scheduling and good timing)

I use only for trenching. FYI The high torque trencher attachment runs ALOT stonger than bobcats version. I demoed the vermeer and the ditchwitch, and didnt like the controls.
I've got the trench cover up attachment, boring attachment, and two trencher units, one for a spare while the other is getting fixed. and the bucket/forks.

Next machine i buy will have a DIESEL engine. No questions asked. If you have some spare money to burn you need to go this route.

If i could improve one thing on this machine it would be the tracks. After about 50% wear, they tend to slip and come off on slight hills/grades. You can tighten them up, and that seems to help. But you really have to watch it while on slopes.
I bought aftermarket tracks from rubbertrax.com they were about half the cost. No problems so far, a few hundred hrs on them.

I have a 425 and a 525. Also have a 420 and 220 for sale. The 525 is a sweet machine. I find my guys running the thing at half throttle most of the time.

instyle
01-09-2011, 02:46 AM
I have the Toro 425, I love it. Best purchace I have made for my company do far. Everytime i use it I am so impressed. I have not tried anything else, but I have logged enough hours on mine to say that I would buy another one in a heart beat. I only have a smooth bucket for it. But it does what ever I ask it to do.

all ferris
01-25-2011, 03:05 PM
I have a Bobcat Mt55 and love it. My buddy has the toro 420 and the Bobcat will walk circles around it (power, lift, and speed). I have never used the ditchwitch. The track system that Bobcat uses is a miniature version of their large machines and works great. I never have trouble with the tracks falling off or stretching. My buddies Dingo couldn't beat its way out of a wet paper bag (has no power and has always seemed under powered). Bobcat is a good unit but I suggest trying all of them and don't forget about dealer support when you do decide.

juststartin
01-25-2011, 07:43 PM
I have a mt55 and my dingo 525 will walk all over the bobcat. Comparing a mt55 to a 420 is like comparing a walk behind 48" mower to a diesel 72" rider. The dingo tracks are more turf friendly and the ride plate on the bobcat is so ret@rded we just took it off. And good luck finding used attachments for the bobcat since it is not a universal quick tach plate.
Posted via Mobile Device

koster_irrigation
02-13-2011, 07:32 PM
I agree on the bobcat being slow, Ive done side by side trenching against a bobcat with my 425 and mine was noticably stronger & much faster.

If you're comparing a 420 to the mt55, your really not comparing apples to apples, they dont have the same HP & torqued motors.

Yeh good luck finding attachments, i dont know why bobcat didnt just stick with the universal mount, Ditchwitch, Dingo, Vermeer, Boxer etc all have the same plate.

I would like to demo the SK650 on my next go round, it has like a 31.5 kubota diesel engine, thats gotta throw out some trenching power!!

White Gardens
02-13-2011, 09:12 PM
If you want more power Koster, I'd check out one of these bad-boys.

http://www.constructionequipmentguide.com/Vermeer-S800TX-Mini-Skid-Steer-Offers-Versatile-Performance/13668/

Personally though, if I were going that big I'd get an ASV RC30 with a cab.

juststartin
02-13-2011, 10:24 PM
If you want more power Koster, I'd check out one of these bad-boys.

http://www.constructionequipmentguide.com/Vermeer-S800TX-Mini-Skid-Steer-Offers-Versatile-Performance/13668/

Personally though, if I were going that big I'd get an ASV RC30 with a cab.

I wouldn't trade my dingo for an asv any day of the week. In fact, I have owned two and sold them. Visibility sucks, mobility is not as great a mini skid(can't exactly hop off one and check your trench or augering hole), the 30hp perkins is gutless, and they have serious drivetrain/motor issues.

LB1234
02-13-2011, 11:41 PM
before I purchases my 425 back in 2006 I had rented the 420 on a number of occasions...hence why I purchased. 420 was great HOWEVER...I did notice by stepping up to the 425 I saw even less turf tearing than the 425..which is negligable at best (granted you have to be mindful). The ditchwitch and bobcats could take a hike (this was back in 05-06 so it might have changed).

If getting through 36" gates is not your major concern step up to the wide track versions which are only 42.5" and fit through the 48" gates which is mostly what we have where I'm at. Only breakdowns with my 425 since '06 with regular maintenance is a wheel motor leaking at around 700 hours then recently it was only firing off of one cylinder so they replaced something in there around 1050 hours...but that also cracked the muffler due to overheating. Oh ya and this winter the emergency break cable broke so had to fix that. All told I don't even know if my repairs (all done out of shop) cost more than 2k over the life of the machine (5yrs). My next purchase will be the 525 once (if) this one dies. Didn't over the diesel in tracked version when I bought mine back in 06 :cry:

White Gardens
02-14-2011, 01:48 AM
I wouldn't trade my dingo for an asv any day of the week. In fact, I have owned two and sold them. Visibility sucks, mobility is not as great a mini skid(can't exactly hop off one and check your trench or augering hole), the 30hp perkins is gutless, and they have serious drivetrain/motor issues.

Good to know about the ASV.

juststartin
02-14-2011, 08:16 PM
before I purchases my 425 back in 2006 I had rented the 420 on a number of occasions...hence why I purchased. 420 was great HOWEVER...I did notice by stepping up to the 425 I saw even less turf tearing than the 425..which is negligable at best (granted you have to be mindful). The ditchwitch and bobcats could take a hike (this was back in 05-06 so it might have changed).

If getting through 36" gates is not your major concern step up to the wide track versions which are only 42.5" and fit through the 48" gates which is mostly what we have where I'm at. Only breakdowns with my 425 since '06 with regular maintenance is a wheel motor leaking at around 700 hours then recently it was only firing off of one cylinder so they replaced something in there around 1050 hours...but that also cracked the muffler due to overheating. Oh ya and this winter the emergency break cable broke so had to fix that. All told I don't even know if my repairs (all done out of shop) cost more than 2k over the life of the machine (5yrs). My next purchase will be the 525 once (if) this one dies. Didn't over the diesel in tracked version when I bought mine back in 06 :cry:

I have a 425 and a 525. The 525 is a sweet machine. It is hard to believe it weighs LESS than a 425. That kubota really screams.

The wide track models are pretty incredible in turf situations. The vermeer, bobcat, ditch witch have a much more aggressive trend.

arbor pro
02-14-2011, 10:51 PM
Anybody looking for another mini skid or some attachments?

I have a 2007 mt52 with 289 hrs that's in pristine condition and a trencher for it that is barely used and a grapple bucket that is fair.

Also have a 2004 DW sk500 with 600 hrs on new engine that runs great. have two augers and 4 bits (new) and a new 4-in1 bucket, tooth bucket, forks and carry-all

Also have never used Bradco sg15 stump grinder

I'm not a dealer - just bought out 2 bankrupt companies and kept some stuff and need to sell the surplus. ready to make some deals...

scott
605-228-9350

As for my experience with mini skids, I really like both bobcat and ditch witch. As far as I'm concerned, bobcat and dingo are pretty similar. HAve used the boxer 532dx (32hp) mini. Controls suck on it but otherwise, a beast. Also have used the vermeer 600tx. nice but no better than a bobcat or dingo IMO and overpriced. SK650 is tops but too wide for me - I need a 36" machine to go through gates...

SDLandscapes VT
02-15-2011, 12:08 AM
grapple bucket--how much

arbor pro
02-15-2011, 10:04 AM
grapple bucket--how much

$1000 plus about $200 to ship to east coast.

cjmoore82
03-04-2011, 03:26 PM
I bought a 2006 Dingo 525W. Went for the big dog right out of the starting gate. I have practically every attachment for it. My hours are high... probably pushing over 1,000 (hour meter was damaged and had to replace) Only one major problem. I always tightened the tracks down too much and it ended up wearing out the axle seal and was leaking. Totally my fault and not Toro. The tracks are the only negative about the machine. Nubs wear out if you dont keep the tracks clean. Just like said in prior post, this machine does better on grass and dirt then turning in sticky roadways.

Overall this maching is the $h1t. Gets through a 40" gate and has always ran great. Strong Kabotu diesel engine. Wouldn't trade it for any other mini skid steer. I cant say that it is better than other makes... because I have never tried but definately no complaints.

Honestly if I didnt have my own company, I would love to sell Toro Dingos. Hope this helped.

BTW, I need new tracks... any suggestions on good sites to buy? haha

pikewillis1
03-09-2011, 08:25 PM
I bought a 2006 Dingo 525W. Went for the big dog right out of the starting gate. I have practically every attachment for it. My hours are high... probably pushing over 1,000 (hour meter was damaged and had to replace) Only one major problem. I always tightened the tracks down too much and it ended up wearing out the axle seal and was leaking. Totally my fault and not Toro. The tracks are the only negative about the machine. Nubs wear out if you dont keep the tracks clean. Just like said in prior post, this machine does better on grass and dirt then turning in sticky roadways.

Overall this maching is the $h1t. Gets through a 40" gate and has always ran great. Strong Kabotu diesel engine. Wouldn't trade it for any other mini skid steer. I cant say that it is better than other makes... because I have never tried but definately no complaints.

Honestly if I didnt have my own company, I would love to sell Toro Dingos. Hope this helped.

BTW, I need new tracks... any suggestions on good sites to buy? haha

Please dont start selling Dingos. I wouldnt be able to sell Dingo equipment to you anymore.

cjmoore82
03-09-2011, 08:52 PM
Please dont start selling Dingos. I wouldnt be able to sell Dingo equipment to you anymore.

Who is pikewillis? Are u my dingo rep?
Posted via Mobile Device