PDA

View Full Version : how do you winterize a skid sprayer?

BCFLawnLandscape
11-07-2010, 09:23 PM
Newbie to spraying this season. Need to winterize my 200 gal. Lesco skid sprayer for the winter. How do you guys go about doing this? Need any and all suggestions. Much appreciated and Thanks in advance!

JB1
11-07-2010, 09:25 PM
i will drain and blow every thing out.

CHARLES CUE
11-07-2010, 10:17 PM
i will drain and blow every thing out.

I will go with this. But i remove all hoses start the pump up and pour a little antifreeze in the pump wile it is running [ Watch some pumps you can't run dry ] and in the elbow in the bottom of the tank i add antifreeze. I cant get all the water out of mine.

Charles Cue

JD2320
11-07-2010, 10:18 PM
I choose the RV Antifreeze method. I drain/flush all water etc, fill the tank with 3-5 gallons of RV Antifreeze and run it through the pump and hose. Make sure you clean the filter first, and I always change the oil at the end of season as well.

You can disconnect the hose reel hose from the pump and blow that out if you prefer, but I have quick disconnect fittings on the gun end so I just pump it full of Antifreeze.

Keeps everything fresh and lubed as well.

I also pull the accessory Marine battery I use that's dedicated to the reel motor and put that in the basement.

This is also the method I have used forever on ride on sprayers/spreaders also although I don't pull the batterys out of them "every" year.....they do fine.

I'm leaving my spray rig in my truck this year for the first time but I am shrink wrapping it and basically the truck doesn't go anywhere for 4 months.

RigglePLC
11-08-2010, 10:30 AM
If you take it apart--you can remove the hose pump and reel and turn them upside down to drain--I do. I suggest remove the hose. And the filter. Drain everything as best you can. Then run windshield washer anti-freeze through the pump and remaining equip (I am cheap). Now is a good time to change diaphragms, starter rope, spark plug, air filter and oil. Clean and paint all. Store under low humidity if you can.

americanlawn
11-08-2010, 07:09 PM
Here's what we do:

1) Add "Sta-Bil" to gas tank and top off the gas
2) Park uphill & spray out any remaining product
3) Add 5 to 10 gallons of water, and spray that out (while parked uphill)
4) Repeat step 3
5) Repeat step 3
6) Use a shop vac to suck out the bottom of tank (while parked uphill)
7) Disconnect all lines
8) Blow all lines out with air compressor
9) Empty the strainer and clean the screen with air compressor

(we use the RV anti freeze method with ride-on units)

70 degrees here today & tomorrow, so we're doing this now while the weather's warm. my 2 cents

johnslandscaping
11-08-2010, 09:14 PM
I choose the RV Antifreeze method. I drain/flush all water etc, fill the tank with 3-5 gallons of RV Antifreeze and run it through the pump and hose. Make sure you clean the filter first, and I always change the oil at the end of season as well.

americanlawn
11-09-2010, 08:28 PM
We changed engine oil today on our ride-ons (5W-30 full synthetic), but we'll wait until spring to change oil on our spray rigs (Honda 5.5 hp). Spose we could have changed oil on them as well (5W-30 full synthetic), but we typically change small engine oil & pump oil (30W with no cleaning agents) in the spring. Not sure if that's the smart thing, but that's how we've done it in the past. We also changed oil (5W-30 full synthetic) in ALL of our trucks today....normally we did this in early spring.

The more I hear, it's best to put in fresh oil before winter instead of waiting until early spring. Does the oil go bad during November, December, January, February, March?

rscvp, thanks

JD2320
11-09-2010, 09:13 PM
We changed engine oil today on our ride-ons (5W-30 full synthetic), but we'll wait until spring to change oil on our spray rigs (Honda 5.5 hp). Spose we could have changed oil on them as well (5W-30 full synthetic), but we typically change small engine oil & pump oil (30W with no cleaning agents) in the spring. Not sure if that's the smart thing, but that's how we've done it in the past. We also changed oil (5W-30 full synthetic) in ALL of our trucks today....normally we did this in early spring.

The more I hear, it's best to put in fresh oil before winter instead of waiting until early spring. Does the oil go bad during November, December, January, February, March?

rscvp, thanks

I don't think it really makes a big difference other than the particles in the oil may settle since it's not being used or something. Fall when shutting down is just a good time because we all know how it is in the spring. Get that good day and you're going out, oil change or no.

I run standard 10-30 oil in all my gear but I like the idea of a 5 weight like you use.

CHARLES CUE
11-09-2010, 10:37 PM
I don't think it really makes a big difference other than the particles in the oil may settle since it's not being used or something. Fall when shutting down is just a good time because we all know how it is in the spring. Get that good day and you're going out, oil change or no.

I run standard 10-30 oil in all my gear but I like the idea of a 5 weight like you use.

It's not the particles that hurt leaving old oil in the engine it's the acid in the oil that can etch engine parts while setting all winter. That's why you change oil for the winter.

Charles Cue

JD2320
11-09-2010, 11:10 PM
It's not the particles that hurt leaving old oil in the engine it's the acid in the oil that can etch engine parts while setting all winter. That's why you change oil for the winter.

Charles Cue

Makes sense to me. Thank you for the explanation Charles.

RigglePLC
11-10-2010, 03:44 PM
I have always changed oil in the fall--less busy. But at times it is cold so the oil is thick--especially 30 wt. Yesterday I had to hold the oil overnight inside and then put it in a bucket of hot water to get it to pour well. If it is too thick, I keep adding too much.

BCFLawnLandscape
11-15-2010, 02:20 PM
ok, so I sprayed all remaining chemical out of tank, filled with 5 gal of water and sprayed it out. shut it off, cleaned filter out, then put in RV antifreeze to pump through tank. turned back on to pump it through and spray just a touch of antifreeze out to know I got it through the whole system. However, nothing is coming out and it's not pumping the antifreeze through?!? What did I do wrong?

RigglePLC
11-15-2010, 11:08 PM
One gallon is probably not enough to prime the pump. Air in the system. Fiddle with the valves and pressure regulator. Fill filter with anti-freeze. Make sure the filter is sealing tight. Remember the hose holds about a gallon of solution also. Freezing won't hurt the hose--but it could kill the reel. One more caution, regular anti-freeze kills grass. RV antifreeze--maybe it is OK. Just be careful. Potentially you could store RV antifreeze and reuse it next year. Park on a slant.

garydale
11-16-2010, 11:42 AM
We choose the RV Antifreeze method.

americanlawn
11-16-2010, 10:09 PM
Is fish oil good? :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: