PDA

View Full Version : $600 for a used Classen aerator, ok deal?

DA Quality Lawn & YS
11-07-2010, 08:53 PM
Guys,

Found an ad for a used 2004 Classen TA-19 aerator with normal wear and tear for the age. Pics of the unit look fairly clean. It has the 4HP Honda on it.
Owner states good life left on tines and engine has been maintained (to be verified by me of course)

Decent deal?

Thx, DA

JD2320
11-07-2010, 09:10 PM
Sure. That's the same model as the Lesco 19" just a different color. Go run it and see how it goes but well worth the price if it works and the belts don't come flopping off.

Pay for it with 1 good day of aerations.

fatboynormmie
11-08-2010, 01:17 AM
Sure. That's the same model as the Lesco 19" just a different color. Go run it and see how it goes but well worth the price if it works and the belts don't come flopping off.

Pay for it with 1 good day of aerations.

Seems like a decent price if unit is in good shape and runs well.BUT...those machines are tanks and are very hard on the user .If you opperate that unit all day you will be whipped by lunch time and sore for the next couple of days.Controlling the unit on hills and dropping and lifting the tine constantly gets old quick.I know the $600 outlay seems like a good deal and you get some work lined up .You get halfway through the day and wonder is it really worth it.That's the way I felt every time I used my classen .I noticed I didn't even want to push aerating due to how physical it was.I switched to a hydro walkbehind aerator and its literally night and day .I can use the hydro all day and be more tired from just walking then wrestling the unit.I suggest finding a rental center that offers both units and ask to demo them on their lot .You will throw rocks at the tank

JD2320
11-08-2010, 07:48 AM
I know what you mean but it's a 19 inch aerator. If you know what you are doing you don't have to lift and turn it around. Cut in your edges and then do half circles like a spiral, and you're good. You can turn those little aerators pretty easy. And it's the difference between 600.....or a negotiated 500 vs 4000 for a hydro.

I have the same unit in the 28" size with the split drum and that makes a big difference.

But I think a lot of guys don't use their heads when aerating. You don't go one pass, turn, second pass. Go in circles or spirals.

fatboynormmie
11-08-2010, 08:32 AM
I know what you mean but it's a 19 inch aerator. If you know what you are doing you don't have to lift and turn it around. Cut in your edges and then do half circles like a spiral, and you're good. You can turn those little aerators pretty easy. And it's the difference between 600.....or a negotiated 500 vs 4000 for a hydro.

I have the same unit in the 28" size with the split drum and that makes a big difference.

But I think a lot of guys don't use their heads when aerating. You don't go one pass, turn, second pass. Go in circles or spirals.

I agree with your method but it depends on the yard. Alot of my yards are small gated yards with alot of narrow passages and the spiral method dosen't always work.Turning those units while engaged in the ground still takes some physical effort.IMO I wouldn't do aerations if I solely had to use the classen and thats why I bought the hydro.If I couldn't have gotten the hydro. I think I would have scheduled all my aerations at once and rented a hydro from a rental center. If you only do a couple aerations a year then it might be worth suffering using the ta19 ,but I think you won't want to grow that side of you business.Don't believe me try it.

JD2320
11-08-2010, 08:43 AM
I agree with your method but it depends on the yard. Alot of my yards are small gated yards with alot of narrow passages and the spiral method dosen't always work.Turning those units while engaged in the ground still takes some physical effort.IMO I wouldn't do aerations if I solely had to use the classen and thats why I bought the hydro.If I couldn't have gotten the hydro. I think I would have scheduled all my aerations at once and rented a hydro from a rental center. If you only do a couple aerations a year then it might be worth suffering using the ta19 ,but I think you won't want to grow that side of you business.Don't believe me try it.

I've been aerating lawns for three decades. I've used a lot of walk behind drum type aerators. I agree it's not the easiest machine to use, but for 600 bucks or less you can't go wrong. It's a great cut machine for small areas anyhow in my opinion. Mostly what I use now is a John Deere tractor and a Ryan 3 Point Hitch aerator and a Lesco split drum.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
11-08-2010, 09:03 AM
sounds like a split opinion.

Big kicker, $600 for this unit vs. $3K to $4k min for a hydro unit.
I figure I can get this little guy to aerate up to 40-50 fall lawns, and if it gets more, upgrade.

fatboynormmie
11-08-2010, 09:03 AM
I wanted to grow this side of my business and do aerations along with seedslicing at the same time .With the production of the hydro units there is NO PROBLEM walking away at the end of the day with 1500.00 net for your bank account .I'm a small solo operation and think thats a decent days profit.Do that a couple days a week during spring and fall and the hydro's will pay for themselves within the first year. You might want to hook up with some other LCO'S to feed you this work that they don't offer and throw them some scheckles for it.You can make good money and not kill yourself if you make the right business decisions on where you are taking your services.

fatboynormmie
11-08-2010, 09:17 AM
sounds like a split opinion.

Big kicker, $600 for this unit vs. $3K to $4k min for a hydro unit.
I figure I can get this little guy to aerate up to 40-50 fall lawns, and if it gets more, upgrade.

Trust me this is the very same thing I struggled with at first and I bought the $600 machine .The machine will last you for a long long time .They are built well and worth the money.What you haven't most likely experienced is how you will feel after the first 10 yards knowing you sold the other 40 yards already and can't stand manhandling this unit anymore.I wouldn't schedule them all back to back you would be in for a treat.It could be that i am just a wuss but I chose to work smarter rather then harder.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
11-08-2010, 10:53 AM
I understand what you are saying and it makes sense.
The hydro would be very nice.

However, I don't have the cash outlay for it. I am in need of another ride on applicator first and foremost and that will eat up my reserve.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
11-14-2010, 05:58 PM
Guys, want to add that this unit was a former United Rentals unit.
Still, tines look in good shape, and owner says Honda engine was maintained regularly?
Still a good deal?

RodneyK
11-14-2010, 07:03 PM
I think it is a good deal at $600 and a great deal if you can get them down to $550 or $500. I do also agree with how physical of a job it is with one of those and the extra money for something easier to use is well spent. But, if you need something else worse then it has to take priority. My only other thought is why buy now? You can't use it for some time being up in MN. That is money you could use or hoard for a quite some time. The good to great deal may be worth parting with the cash now though...