PDA

View Full Version : Strobe Lights

Decoste76
11-08-2010, 01:36 PM
I know this isnt the place for this but its worth the shot. I have a whelen strobe light system on my truck it have strobes in the front headlamps and on the rear. I was wondering if i could install my Amber on my roof to this control box so that i dont have to plug it into the cigarett lighter and i can control them all with just one single switch let me know if this is possible i know i would have to replace the 12v cig lighter with the right adapter to plug it into the strobe power supply but will it work???

ajslands
11-08-2010, 01:45 PM
I know this isnt the place for this but its worth the shot. I have a whelen strobe light system on my truck it have strobes in the front headlamps and on the rear. I was wondering if i could install my Amber on my roof to this control box so that i dont have to plug it into the cigarett lighter and i can control them all with just one single switch let me know if this is possible i know i would have to replace the 12v cig lighter with the right adapter to plug it into the strobe power supply but will it work???

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted via Mobile Device

studebaker48
11-08-2010, 01:58 PM

well it depends if it is an led you can you have to buy a small interceptor to splice into your wiring to make it flash . it cost like 10 bucks here we use them all the time:usflag: go to plowsite lol

ajslands
11-08-2010, 02:25 PM
NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted via Mobile Device

Oops didn't quite read it right, you can hook it up to the control box but not the power supply. hook it up to a diffrent switch though.
Posted via Mobile Device

Decoste76
11-08-2010, 05:29 PM
Well yeah there's two open spots for me to plug it in but I don't know how I'm going to wire it... It needs to be a three male end but the amber strobe is a cig lighter I wonder if I can just buy the male pins but also there's only two wires for the strobe + and - and the other strokes have three male pins
Posted via Mobile Device

ajslands
11-08-2010, 06:10 PM
That 3rd wire is a ground. so bolt it to the chassis or something like that.

YourYardGuy
11-08-2010, 06:52 PM
Not so sure what you are trying to accomplish is gonna work. You could easily as said before cut the cord on your standalone strobe unit and wire it to a seperate switch along with the hidaway strobes but im pretty sure that wiring a stand alone unit that already has a circuit board in it for the strobe function into a power supply will not work. the power supply is for hidaway strobes or bulbs that dont already have any flash circuit boards in line with it (hope that makes sense.) the larger/multi head power supplies take the place of the circuit boards and switching devices in most of whelens stand off units and lightbars. if all else fails call whelen tech support if you have any doubts.

Rickco
11-08-2010, 09:33 PM

In Ma. it is illegal to have strobes in your head lights and the rears have to be amber. If they are red you are illegal. You might get away with it but still outlawed,just dont let the wrong cop see you.

Decoste76
11-09-2010, 09:29 AM
there not in headlights there in the two directionals