PDA

View Full Version : HBL All in One Clips- Sold Out Again!

PlantscapeSolutions
11-08-2010, 03:50 PM
I just ordered some clips from Holiday LiteSource here in TX. There were about 1/3rd the price of the sold out HBL clips. I'll let you know how good they are when they arrive. Last year I ordered some All in One clips that turned out to be All in One Clips Plus. They were a piece of crap. I have about 900 of the plus clips headed to the trash can. I think the plus clips came from Christmas Lights Ect. I'll never buy from them again.

David Gretzmier
11-09-2010, 12:00 AM
The older traditional all in one clips are far better than the plus. I got lucky last year, my brother told me Litesource was having a sale on clips after Christmas day. I bought around 20,000 at 3-4 cents each I think. given how many we replace each year and new sales, it will be close to a seasons supply for us. I have thought about ordering them in bulk pallet quantity, but the 2000 packs are pretty handy to keep on each truck.

PlantscapeSolutions
11-14-2010, 10:52 PM
Got the much cheaper Litesource clips and they are great. Can't wait to ditch the clips I used last year. HBL is good but it pays to shop around. I may see if we can use lawnsite as a HBL forum so all us members can compare notes. It would be great to be able to easily communicate with all HBL members.

David Gretzmier
11-15-2010, 10:50 PM
I really would like to see a HBL forum that is password sign in only. my clients read the public forums and I really have nothing to hide, but often times HBL offers deals on items and shipping I'd like to discuss in private with other memebrs to see what they are doing. we also really need an HBL network of inventory available that HBL may be out of that is for sale by other HBL members.

I have floated the idea of a member chat area on the HBL website for a number of years, but the answers I have been getting
seems to be about the fear of it becoming a place of just a gripe session about things folks are upset about. Also, there is probably also the fear of some organization on the members part to band together.

what is happening though, that some issues are playing out in public forums like this one. HBL might actually be better served by keeping member comments about policy, product, software, pricing, etc, in a private forum where they can control image issues.

turf hokie
11-16-2010, 07:07 AM
I really would like to see a HBL forum that is password sign in only. my clients read the public forums and I really have nothing to hide, but often times HBL offers deals on items and shipping I'd like to discuss in private with other memebrs to see what they are doing. we also really need an HBL network of inventory available that HBL may be out of that is for sale by other HBL members.

I have floated the idea of a member chat area on the HBL website for a number of years, but the answers I have been getting
seems to be about the fear of it becoming a place of just a gripe session about things folks are upset about. Also, there is probably also the fear of some organization on the members part to band together.

what is happening though, that some issues are playing out in public forums like this one. HBL might actually be better served by keeping member comments about policy, product, software, pricing, etc, in a private forum where they can control image issues.

There should be no fear of a members forum on the HBL site, I would think that would be better than one on LS.

Members working together only would help strenghten the commitment and abilities of HBL.

Yes, there would be some griping, however, usually it is minimal. Those forums have professionals with a common link getting together, usually it is new guy issues or things that us seasoned guys havent run into but someone has. It is also a major area for overstock of material selling or if someone is in a pinch and needs something the warehouse is out of.

I imagine Mike's phone would ring significantly less if a forum on HBL were to happen!!

IMHO, there is nothing but upside to a private forum on HBL's site.

addictedtolandscaping
11-16-2010, 06:32 PM
I have to agree with you guys completely. I had Mike n the phone today trying to get an idea of what the he** I am possibly doing wrong. I haven't closed #1 yet. Told my son tonight I am so disgusted that I am ready to say to he** with it all. My exact words to Mike were "maybe I have figured out why this wasn't offered here." My mind is shot with trying to figure it out, rehangs from last year are holding up and beating me up over $75.00, one of which I am getting ready to walk away from, not that I make all that much on it anyhow after lift costs, time etc. Takes 5 days to put up, and has to be done by December 5. Think they are getting a call tomorrow and going to ask them point blank is it going up or getting dropped off. I have a gigantic wreath taking up half of my shop.

Running all over the area here doing estimates, running the margin the software defaults too, then including a 250 discount, still nothing. Radio is supposed to start tomorrow, but thinking that is another huge waste of money. Truthfully, I am not enjoying this season at all. Found myself literally speaking aloud to myself today and the words "what the he** were you thinking." I estimate I have spent 10K in advertising this year, 2 chambers of commerce, direct mail, lawn signs, now radio and all have generated $0.00. I looked over my files from last year, 1st job closed last week of October, then first two weeks of November. I even had about 4 times the estimates that I have had this year.

Starting to believe that even a hearing impaired person could hear the fat lady singing, stupid me is feeling like the captain going down with the ship. Can't seem to throw in the towel though, hoping the estimate for tomorrow turns it around.

Birchwood
11-16-2010, 09:41 PM
-Addicted-

Really sorry to hear that, my two cents, no form of advertising, beats a glossy post card showing your work, actually put on the doors of homes you want to do. Through September and October I take my guys around and drop them off where I want them. Mailers or magazines, by zip code, income, home values, are a waste, I don't get the value on the return. If you get to bid on a home in a great neighbor hood, where other homes are decorated, I think that is a big key, because everyone wants to keep up with the Jones'. Bid that job to break even or take a loss, but make it up on the neighbors, referrals and second year. Once again my 2 cents.

P.S. this is our 4th year and we are cruising along, thanks to referrals, our portfolio, and a great presentation packet.

addictedtolandscaping
11-17-2010, 07:13 AM
Thanks for the advice. I am actually meeting with a lady today and plan to do exactly that. It is a higher end HOA, and told my son that I would love to get in there. Am hoping that this is the oppertunity.

TimNNJ
11-28-2010, 09:43 AM
this is my first year putting up lights...we booked one that we are doing next week and have a meeting with another person tomorrow...for my first year I am going to make any advertisement costs back and labor...and hopefully a couple bucks in the pocket...