PDA

View Full Version : overwintering worms in compost piles

marquis de sod
11-08-2010, 10:23 PM
I have several bins of worms that I don't want to overwinter in my garage and a 40 ton pile of munincipal leaf/clippings compost stockpiled on site. What would the outcome be if I dumped the worms in the compost for the winter. Will they go deep enough to not freeze? Can they proliferate in the compost if left long enough? Are there methods of vermiculture that operate outdoors , the worms can only improve this municipal compost.
Thanks for any info.

ICT Bill
11-09-2010, 10:25 AM
I have several bins of worms that I don't want to overwinter in my garage and a 40 ton pile of munincipal leaf/clippings compost stockpiled on site. What would the outcome be if I dumped the worms in the compost for the winter. Will they go deep enough to not freeze? Can they proliferate in the compost if left long enough? Are there methods of vermiculture that operate outdoors , the worms can only improve this municipal compost.
Thanks for any info.

A buddy of mine digs a pit about 4 feet deep and puts them in super sacks, I am not sure about the density of compost to worms but he puts them in the ground and covers the super sacks with straw 1 to 2 feet deep, they are all balled up in the spring and seem to get through just fine in the mid 50's temps of the soil

as creatures they have been around for millions of years so by putting them back in their habitat they should do just fine

marquis de sod
11-09-2010, 12:06 PM
Thanks, Bill. What are the "super" sacks? Would grass seed bags do the trick?

ICT Bill
11-09-2010, 12:52 PM
Thanks, Bill. What are the "super" sacks? Would grass seed bags do the trick?

They hold a cubic yard in most cases and have handles on them so you can pick them up with a loader, it is a common way to transport solids when not in a dump truck

Yeah as long as they are the ones that breathe, a plastic bag would not be a good idea I think

marquis de sod
11-09-2010, 03:44 PM
OK I got it, we use them in corn/soybean country to load seed into planters, the material is woven nylon of some sort, like many grass seed bags. Breathable and not waterproof.
I did a little more online research and saw that you can raise worms in windrows of material, it is just slow and leaches nutrients. I just thought I could park them in a big pile of low grade compost, let them improve the pile and then just collect enough next spring to continue producing for compost tea.

jonthepain
11-09-2010, 05:16 PM
If you want any more info, I have an acquaintance named Ben who owns Carolina Worm Castings. He's a nice guy and might have some more ideas for you. That's who I buy my castings from for brewing tea.

he's at info@carolinawormcastings.com

Tell him Jon from Carolina Organic Lawns sent ya.

marquis de sod
11-09-2010, 08:42 PM
Thanks Jon, I might just do that!

jonthepain
11-09-2010, 08:48 PM
You're welcome. Ben's a good guy.

tadhussey
11-10-2010, 03:12 PM
Send Tim Wilson an email, he's been doing this for years in cold Canadian winters.

marquis de sod
11-10-2010, 03:18 PM
Another good idea , I have his brewer and his email.
thanks

Tim Wilson
11-11-2010, 11:12 AM
Another good idea , I have his brewer and his email.
thanks

I did answer your email but just had another thought. If you have some landscape cloth or even better large pieces of cardboard you could cover (wrap) the pile with a few spots left for air (or just the top of the pile).