PDA

View Full Version : Two Cycle Oil

mwyatt11
11-08-2010, 10:15 PM
What 2 cycle is everyone using? I have seen a huge price increase in 2 cycle oil. Is it better to buy a 5 gal bucket?

What about Opti-2 Two Cycle?

GunnPropertyServices
11-08-2010, 10:24 PM
Amsoil Saber

gasracer
11-10-2010, 02:48 PM
I have used Opti-2 for several years and works well. They say the Amsoil Saber is good but I never tired it.I run Stihl in my chain saw.

White Gardens
11-10-2010, 10:54 PM
Opti is all I use.

Do a search, there has been a number of 2-cycle threads with great arguments, errr, I mean info.. :laugh:

Sammy
11-11-2010, 06:12 AM
I use Stihl 2-cycle oil in all my 2-cycle equipment.

nolanjim
11-11-2010, 06:16 AM
I use synthetic conventional and mix it with additives never has given me any problems.
Posted via Mobile Device

Richard Martin
11-11-2010, 03:31 PM
Amsoil Sabre for me.

Richard Martin
11-11-2010, 03:33 PM
I use synthetic conventional and mix it with additives never has given me any problems.

Just what does this mean? Synthetic conventional? It can be synthetic, blended or conventional. If it's synthetic and coventional then it's a blend.

GunnPropertyServices
11-11-2010, 10:33 PM
Just what does this mean? Synthetic conventional? It can be synthetic, blended or conventional. If it's synthetic and coventional then it's a blend.

Thats what i want to know, it sounds like hes making chili a little of this a little of that maybe its a secret recipe

NJlandscaper908
11-11-2010, 10:49 PM
Echo pro blend or the redmax 2 cycle oil... I've always used these and never had problems. A friend of mine tried opti-2 for a few years and had nothing but problems with the redmax 8000's, he had to re-build them, get new carbs it was crazy. I've only used the echo or redmax oil and never had problems. Of course maybe his guys wern't mixing it properly who knows haha

nolanjim
11-11-2010, 11:16 PM
Synthetic motor oil.
Posted via Mobile Device

GunnPropertyServices
11-11-2010, 11:22 PM
Synthetic motor oil.
Posted via Mobile Device

motor Oil? for 2 cycle engine?

nolanjim
11-11-2010, 11:37 PM
Motor oil. I read a few threads where they were calling motor oil conventional oil so excuse the confusion. I have used almost all the of 2 cycle oil brands listed but always come back to synthetic motor oil. I have equipment over 20 years old and they seem to like it the most.
Posted via Mobile Device

Tennesseepowerstroke
11-13-2010, 09:21 PM
Shindaiwa One. Never a problem.

Darryl G
11-13-2010, 10:12 PM
I've been running Opti 2 in all my 2 stroke engines (mostly Shindaiwa but some Stihl, Echo and Husky stuff too) for 9 seasons now without a single engine problem. I buy it in the gallon jugs and then pour it into the dispensing bottles. In fact I need to buy some more. I don't think I'll make it through the seaon with what I have.

knox gsl
11-13-2010, 10:32 PM
Motor oil. I read a few threads where they were calling motor oil conventional oil so excuse the confusion. I have used almost all the of 2 cycle oil brands listed but always come back to synthetic motor oil. I have equipment over 20 years old and they seem to like it the most.
Posted via Mobile Device

Growing up there was a guy across from my grandad's house that would pour some gas and then pour a little motor oil in the tank of his trimmer. He would then shake it up and give it a pull, it made big clouds of blue smoke.

I myself use the orange bottles of Sthil oil.

Richard Martin
11-14-2010, 02:47 AM
Growing up there was a guy across from my grandad's house that would pour some gas and then pour a little motor oil in the tank of his trimmer. He would then shake it up and give it a pull, it made big clouds of blue smoke.

Conventional motor oil is not designed to give a clean burn. Hence the big clouds of blue smoke.

Patriot Services
11-14-2010, 08:00 AM
Conventional motor oil is not designed to give a clean burn. Hence the big clouds of blue smoke.

Yea, but no bugs either. I am in the opti 2 group. Never had an engine failure or shortened life. Seems to work on the 4 mix engines great, no valve or muffler deposits.
Posted via Mobile Device

Mike Blevins
11-14-2010, 08:17 AM
Amsoil cause it smells good.:dizzy::dizzy:

bobcat48
11-14-2010, 10:23 AM
Echo power blend.

mslawn
11-14-2010, 10:50 AM
We now use Mystic JT4 Synthetic Personal Watercraft oil from academy sports for 19.99 a gallon. It is API-TC rated and also JASO-FC and FD, it is a sythetic air cooled two stroke oil that has the same ratings as all the high dollar oils out there (redmax,echo,stihl). Do not confuse this with TC-W3 rated oil which is outboard motor oil and you should not use TC-W3 in the air cooled two strokes. My goal was to find an inexpensive, yet quality oil, to save on the bottom line and so far this has proved to be a considerable savings over the course of the year.

I believe in the northern climates they market this as Mystic JT4 Synthetic Snowmobile oil.

lifetree
11-14-2010, 09:47 PM
We now use Mystic JT4 Synthetic Personal Watercraft oil from academy sports for 19.99 a gallon. It is API-TC rated and also JASO-FC and FD, it is a sythetic air cooled two stroke oil that has the same ratings as all the high dollar oils out there (redmax,echo,stihl). ...

This is what I need to know about !! I bought an Echo BP blower 5 years ago an got a case of oil along with it, it is rated FC oil ... now I need to buy a second BP blower and am concerned that I am now being told to use FD oil in any new equipment.

What I need to know is, whether my old equipment which has been running on FC oil can also run on FD oil ?? Or, can they not ??

mslawn
11-14-2010, 11:02 PM
This is what I need to know about !! I bought an Echo BP blower 5 years ago an got a case of oil along with it, it is rated FC oil ... now I need to buy a second BP blower and am concerned that I am now being told to use FD oil in any new equipment.

What I need to know is, whether my old equipment which has been running on FC oil can also run on FD oil ?? Or, can they not ??

From what I have read, FD is just a higher quality of oil and it should be fine to run in in FC rated equipment.

DitchDr
11-15-2010, 03:56 AM
Corn oil, cotton seed oil, Veggie oil, pretty much anything thatis left over from the night before.

I use the Stihl oil from the dealer to avoid any issues. I have used the 2 stroke motor oil as chain oil in one of my MS880's once. Was 30 miles from a store and it was getting late. Was all I had and worked great.

weve
11-15-2010, 07:22 PM
I just purchased an Echo PB770 blower this month. Echo states:

"A two stroke engine oil meeting ISO-L-EGD (ISO/CD 13738) AND J.A.S.O.
M345 - FC/FD Standards must be used.

lifetree
11-15-2010, 08:40 PM
I just purchased an Echo PB770 blower this month. Echo states:

"A two stroke engine oil meeting ISO-L-EGD (ISO/CD 13738) AND J.A.S.O.
M345 - FC/FD Standards must be used.

Is this stated in the manual that you got with the new blower that you got, or, is it stated on the Echo website ??

weve
11-15-2010, 09:52 PM
Is this stated in the manual that you got with the new blower that you got, or, is it stated on the Echo website ??

It is in the printed manual that came with the blower and also in the manual available on the Echo website that is the same at the printed manual. Here is a link to the manual:

http://www.echo-usa.com/pdf/documentation/PB770HTes1112_122909.pdf

lifetree
11-15-2010, 10:12 PM
It is in the printed manual that came with the blower and also in the manual available on the Echo website ...

Thank you for this information.

lifetree
11-15-2010, 10:15 PM
I just purchased an Echo PB770 blower this month. ...

The PB-770T is the one that I've been looking at myself ... it has a higher CFM rating than the RedMax EBZ8050 blower so I thought I would get the 770 ... how do you like yours ?? Is the difference in air power really noticeble ??

weve
11-15-2010, 10:33 PM
The PB-770T is the one that I've been looking at myself ... it has a higher CFM rating than the RedMax EBZ8050 blower so I thought I would get the 770 ... how do you like yours ?? Is the difference in air power really noticeble ??

The PB-770 is much stronger when blowing leaves than my PB-650. I demoed it a couple of months ago and blew a 7 lb. rock around but it is impressive when blowing leaves. In September I used a Shindaiwa EB854 that my son had in Mississippi. It did a good job blowing pine straw but I am more impressed with the PB-770.

qualitylawnpro
11-15-2010, 10:44 PM
NO SMOKE 2 STROKE been running it for years!

wingman0711
11-15-2010, 11:48 PM
opti is the best out there. im a certified mechanic and have been using it four about 4 years now, it the only true tier 5 synthetic two stroke oil on the market. Sthil echo etc are all based on natural oil, and as far as im concerned you cant go wrong with the opti. if your using alot of it, you can buy it by the gallon for around 65-70 or a 5 gallon pail for about 295. plus the 1 gallon has a pump that shoots enough mix per squirt for 1 gal of fuel.

Richard Martin
11-16-2010, 03:18 AM
it the only true tier 5 synthetic two stroke oil on the market.

Opti is a synthetic blend.

"Semi-synthetic blend is formulated for oil injection systems on all high-performance engines"

http://www.opti2-4.com/html/opti03.html

I'm also not sure what you speak of when you mention Tier 5?

ISLAC has the GL-5 standard but an oil must be API certified to acheive the GL-5 classification and no Interlube oils are listed as being certified for anything by the API.

Here's the list of companies that are API certified...

http://eolcs.api.org/DisplayInfo.asp?Info=CompanyNames

lifetree
11-16-2010, 07:34 PM
The PB-770 is much stronger when blowing leaves than my PB-650. ...

Man, we both must think alike ... the other BP blower I have is the Echo PB-651T !! On your recommendation, I think I'll get the PB-770T for my next one ... the story about blowing a 7 pound rock is impressive.
:cool2: :cool2: :cool2: :cool2: :cool2:

weve
11-17-2010, 08:00 PM
Man, we both must think alike ... the other BP blower I have is the Echo PB-651T !! On your recommendation, I think I'll get the PB-770T for my next one ... the story about blowing a 7 pound rock is impressive.
:cool2: :cool2: :cool2: :cool2: :cool2:

My 650 could blow the rock also but the tube had to be right next to the rock. The 770 tube could be 1 1/2 feet away.

I used Amsoil 2-cycle oil for a couple of years and then my wife won me five years worth of Opti-2 at EXPO. I am now using Amsoil Saber. I've had no problem with either oil.

sixpick
11-17-2010, 08:19 PM
both are good oil but, ams oil is by far better in summer summer and winter and it is mixed at 100 to one. oh most dealers carry ams oil.

Richard Martin
11-18-2010, 03:03 AM
both are good oil but, ams oil is by far better in summer summer and winter and it is mixed at 100 to one. oh most dealers carry ams oil.

Amsoil is a pronoun. Capitalize and all letters together. :)

Patriot Services
11-18-2010, 07:18 AM
3am and your correcting grammar? You need to get that insomnia medicated.
Posted via Mobile Device

Richard Martin
11-18-2010, 12:53 PM
3am and your correcting grammar? You need to get that insomnia medicated.
Posted via Mobile Device

I was just having some fun. Insomnia isn't an issue. Staying asleep is. Falling asleep is easy. :sleeping::sleeping:

Patriot Services
11-18-2010, 04:24 PM
I was just having some fun. Insomnia isn't an issue. Staying asleep is. Falling asleep is easy. :sleeping::sleeping:
I have same issue. Older I get the worse it gets. Forget Ambien, wife found me making a sandwich one night, no idea what I was doing.
Posted via Mobile Device

LawnRanger28
11-19-2010, 09:58 AM
I don't see oil as the culprit of bad mix. Especially now that the Feds imposed clean air mix restrictions. How am I supposed to feel about the gasoline that I'm forced to buy? Can the oil manufacturers fix it? Are additives the answer?

I use Echo mix in my Echo equipment. Never any problems with the oil. Gas, on the other hand....

LawnRanger28
11-19-2010, 10:05 AM
I don't see oil as the culprit of bad mix. Especially now that the Feds imposed clean air mix restrictions. How am I supposed to feel about the gasoline that I'm forced to buy? Can the oil manufacturers fix it? Are additives the answer?

I use Echo mix in my Echo equipment. Never any problems with the oil. Gas, on the other hand....

Exact Rototilling
11-21-2010, 12:06 AM
opti is the best out there. im a certified mechanic and have been using it four about 4 years now, it the only true tier 5 synthetic two stroke oil on the market. Sthil echo etc are all based on natural oil, and as far as im concerned you cant go wrong with the opti. if your using alot of it, you can buy it by the gallon for around 65-70 or a 5 gallon pail for about 295. plus the 1 gallon has a pump that shoots enough mix per squirt for 1 gal of fuel.

Is Opti-2 oil the best 2 stroke oil on the planet...?

Didn't want to start another Best oil thread so I'd thought I'd stir the pot here. I ran out of my bottle of Opti-2 I bought off eBay. I was running Opti-2 at roughly 60/75 :1 give or take.

Yet another reason to use Opti-2 over Amsoil Saber Pro [used that prior season is it is rated for TCW-3 applications as well. As some of you know 2-stroke snow blowers such as Toros call for TCW 3 oil. I used Amsoil saber air cooled not TCW3 rated...in my Toro blowers season before last with zero issue.

Anyhow Opti 2 is claiming they have the highest industry rating for 2 stroke oil. Also I just bought a few packets form a hardware store...until I can get a bigger bottle else where.

1.8 oz to 1 gallon of gas.....with zero mention of mixture ratio? The other size packet is 3.2 oz to be mixed with 2.5 gallons....again zero mention of actual ratio.

** Side note manufacturer will double 4 stroke engine warranty if you use their oil and jump through their hoops. I just noticed that the Kawi 4 stoke oil is made in the same town as the opti products....?

Not sure what to think but makes me wonder if in fact Opti-2 is better than Saber? Or is this just another Ford, Chevy & Dodge debate. Then again does a truck manufacturer back up their trucks with the highest 3 rd party rating in the industry?

Richard Martin
11-21-2010, 04:29 AM
Is Opti-2 oil the best 2 stroke oil on the planet...?

Didn't want to start another Best oil thread so I'd thought I'd stir the pot here. I ran out of my bottle of Opti-2 I bought off eBay. I was running Opti-2 at roughly 60/75 :1 give or take.

Yet another reason to use Opti-2 over Amsoil Saber Pro [used that prior season is it is rated for TCW-3 applications as well. As some of you know 2-stroke snow blowers such as Toros call for TCW 3 oil. I used Amsoil saber air cooled not TCW3 rated...in my Toro blowers season before last with zero issue.

Anyhow Opti 2 is claiming they have the highest industry rating for 2 stroke oil. Also I just bought a few packets form a hardware store...until I can get a bigger bottle else where.

1.8 oz to 1 gallon of gas.....with zero mention of mixture ratio? The other size packet is 3.2 oz to be mixed with 2.5 gallons....again zero mention of actual ratio.

** Side note manufacturer will double 4 stroke engine warranty if you use their oil and jump through their hoops. I just noticed that the Kawi 4 stoke oil is made in the same town as the opti products....?

Not sure what to think but makes me wonder if in fact Opti-2 is better than Saber? Or is this just another Ford, Chevy & Dodge debate. Then again does a truck manufacturer back up their trucks with the highest 3 rd party rating in the industry?

All of this and you still didn't actually give a real reason why you think Opti would be better than Amsoil.... The closest you got to a reason was "Yet another reason to use Opti-2 over Amsoil Saber Pro" and then you explained that you used Amsoil last season....

Your whole "arguement" is very convoluted.

Exact Rototilling
11-21-2010, 11:06 AM
All of this and you still didn't actually give a real reason why you think Opti would be better than Amsoil.... The closest you got to a reason was "Yet another reason to use Opti-2 over Amsoil Saber Pro" and then you explained that you used Amsoil last season....

Your whole "arguement" is very convoluted.

OK here you go.....Since Opti-2 is TCW-3 rated.....I can use it with out reservation in my 2 stroke outboard as well as all my Toro 2 stroke snow blowers that also call for TCW-3 oil as well as all my air cooled 2 strokes.

I often wondered what I'll effect AMSOIL saber professional 'air-cooled oil" had on my snow blowers? :rolleyes:

Opti 2 supposedly has the highest rating on the planet for 2 stroke oil.

When AMSOIL comes out with an equally rated oil - I'll give it another try.
:waving:

HenryB
11-21-2010, 11:47 AM
I've been using Walmart 2cycle Marine oil for thousands of hours on my 4mixes.No problems at all no exhaust port build up because it's a 4cycle engine. I've used Stihl Ultra, Opti2 etc. If you guys think the expensive mixes make much of a difference than buy it. Envionmentily I like the 100:1 mixes.

Exact Rototilling
11-21-2010, 12:30 PM
Do you run the Walmart oil at 100:1..? Opti2 does claim to be a green environmental oil as well....and the highest service rating! Stunning claims.
Posted via Mobile Device

HenryB
11-21-2010, 04:48 PM
Do you run the Walmart oil at 100:1..? Opti2 does claim to be a green environmental oil as well....and the highest service rating! Stunning claims.
Posted via Mobile Device

I run it at 65:1 a bit lean. At $10 a gallon it saves some money.

aced76
11-21-2010, 05:46 PM
Used opti for Redmax 7000-8000 no problem. Use it for all 2 stroke and no issues. $45 a gallon. Anyone know where to get cheaper?

Richard Martin
11-21-2010, 06:25 PM
OK here you go.....Since Opti-2 is TCW-3 rated.....I can use it with out reservation in my 2 stroke outboard as well as all my Toro 2 stroke snow blowers that also call for TCW-3 oil as well as all my air cooled 2 strokes.

I often wondered what I'll effect AMSOIL saber professional 'air-cooled oil" had on my snow blowers? :rolleyes:

Opti 2 supposedly has the highest rating on the planet for 2 stroke oil.

When AMSOIL comes out with an equally rated oil - I'll give it another try.
:waving:

Amsoil blends oils for specific applications. That's why you wouldn't want to use Sabre in a TCW-3 application. Air cooled engines run much hotter than their water cooled counter parts. The oil burns differently at different temps. TCW-3 is formulated to burn at lower temps. In an air cooled engine you may not get the protection that you need. And using non TWC-3 oil in TWC-3 application may leave behind unwanted deposits since the engine doesn't get hot enough to properly burn the oil.

I've also seen the ISO-EG-D++ claim. The only problem is I can't find the standard at the ISO database. Here is the standards listing from the ISO for petroleum products and lubricants.

http://www.iso.org/iso/iso_catalogue/catalogue_tc/catalogue_tc_browse.htm?commid=47356&published=on&development=on&withdrawn=on&deleted=on