PDA

View Full Version : Need input on Round 4 and 5!!

Maple Wood
11-09-2010, 09:04 AM
I am thinking of changing my program a little and would like some input. Currently my round 4 is fert only at the end of August through Sept. My round 5 is fert and broad leaf from the middle of Oct to about now.

Here my problem.
Round 4 is a hard sell for my bigger yards. That is my main customer in this area 1-5 acre places. So I sell round 4 as a broad leaf control and fert and I sell round 5 as a "winterizer" Also if I do BL control a little earlier I dodge the leaves!

What can you see as the Pros and Cons.

I would have to change the timing of the rounds to get better broad leaf control.

JD2320
11-09-2010, 09:22 AM
Big properties generally don't go with a 5 or 6 app program because of the expense. It's always been that way and always will be. I don't think there's anything you can do to change that.

Most commercial sites get a four app program too.

It can also be argued successfully that most properties no matter what their size don't need 5 or 6 visits a year to keep them well fed, and weeds controlled.

But, we all for the most part offer a bigger program. That's just business and it's perceived to be acceptable because Tru Green does it and has for some time. A lot bash them but they set the standard for a lot of what we all do. Years ago, a 4 app program with optional late fall feeding was standard.

Maple Wood
11-09-2010, 09:36 AM
My program for big yards is actually 3 steps. 1,2 & 5.

I would like to go to 4 steps on some.

My normal program is 5 or 6 steps.

1. Crab grass and fert
2. BL control and fert
3a.Grubs and fert
3b.Surface insect
4. Fert
5. BL control and fert

DA Quality Lawn & YS
11-09-2010, 10:37 AM
Yep nearly all commercial is 4 apps or less. Yep, they are cheapo's.
Some try to get by with two, and I say no way to control broadleafs with that few trips over the lawn.

My rule of thumb on commercials: err on the side of doing apps at the MOST ideal time for controlling broadleafs. So, if a comml acct chooses 3 apps, then do those apps at the times when you see the greatest emergence of weeds, and zap em. Keep those lawns weed free.