PDA

View Full Version : Dump trailers?? Good idea??

EverestLandscape
11-09-2010, 11:31 AM
Thinking about getting a dump trailer but not sure if it's worth it. You can't fit wheel barrows under them for mulch or anything else. So i was hoping i can get some pro's and con's about dump trailers from you guys to help my decision. Thanks a lot

PerfectEarth
11-09-2010, 07:46 PM
You can't fit wheel barrows under them for mulch or anything else.

Not sure what you mean by this. You mean, under the back edge to scoot much into them without lifting the shovel off the floor of the trailer?

If that's what you mean, a deck-over dump trailer would be high enough for that I think... It's not that big a deal though.

Pros-

Cheaper than a dump truck
Easy to work out of
No throwing stuff off the trailer into the dump at the end of the day
Very few maintenance costs
Year-round use- mulch, equipment, debris, soil, firewood, leaf box.... possibilities are many
Can get the trailer very close to where you are working
Well maintained, they hold their value
Can add tarps, ramps, higher walls, other mods

Cons-

Yes, they are more costly up front than your average lawn/landscape trailer
um..... can't think of too many!
Sometimes the battery can run out on a heavy load
If you get a 12,000 or 14,000# you need to be careful of pushing past the GCWR (combined) if you are towing with a 450 or a 550...

EverestLandscape
11-10-2010, 09:47 AM
That is what i mean yes. Thank you very much for your info. Now does the difference between the telescoping pistions and the sissor lift make a difference. Beacuse i hear guys saying the sissor is much better for some reason??

Dunlaps LawnCare
11-10-2010, 04:07 PM
i was wondering the samething are they worth it

CLARK LAWN
11-10-2010, 08:19 PM
BIG CON: if you have to haul equipment and material then you either have to make two trips of use two trucks. I see guys doing this all the time around here, instead of buying a dump truck they bought a dump trailer and now they always have to take two trucks one pulling dump trailer and one pulling equipment trailer.

FYI: a telescoping cylinder is much stronger than a sissor lift. A sissor lift is more stabil (less chance of rolling over if load sticks).