PDA

View Full Version : bulb planting

bobcatnj
11-09-2010, 06:32 PM
what are some ways you guys are planting bulbs? pros and cons from ways

LB1234
11-09-2010, 06:54 PM
I have a auger bit (about 3" dia) that attaches to my cordless drill. Works great. Once all the wholes are augered I just drop them in and rake the soil back into all the holes. works great.

MarcSmith
11-09-2010, 07:27 PM
take a mantis tiller and till the entire bed to "fluff it up" after teh summer annuals have been pulled, and then layout the bulbs and using a hand trowel spread the soil, drop some bulbs cover and move on.

when you doing a beds with 1000-2000 bulbs digging or augering single holes is huge time waster.

we have about 20K bulbs installed only 31K more to go...

bobcatnj
11-09-2010, 08:08 PM
Yea we are doing big beds. If we are doing a small section we will till rows and clean them out. Once you get to the bigger beds, you cant really do that. How does the bulb auger work spacing wise?

Az Gardener
11-10-2010, 12:09 AM
we have about 20K bulbs installed only 31K more to go...

Oh I would love to see that. Where do you get that many bulbs of any quality? I am the big bulb purchaser here buying several hundred from several nurseries. I have tried ordering from some larger companies and have always been disappointed with the quality. We till the beds too, then plant annuals, then come back with bulbs, then seed.

I plant a lot of dutch and bearded iris, ranuculus, freesias and a few anenomes (sp) the bulb not the sea creature. Tulips don't do too well here, not enough chill and windy when they bloom. Daffodils and Paper-whites bloom for about 10 minutes so they are kind of a waste and its too hot to for them naturalize.

knox gsl
11-10-2010, 12:19 AM
Do you replant bulbs every year or let them come back naturally.

White Gardens
11-10-2010, 12:22 AM
Do you replant bulbs every year or let them come back naturally.

Depends.

Unless it's an annual bed that will be dug up in the spring, then I just leave them in the ground and multiply in the landscape.

Around my sign, I remove the bulbs (tulips and such) once every 2 years or so and re-work the bed, and that's mainly due to the annuals I put in.

knox gsl
11-10-2010, 12:28 AM
I've always left them alone for the following spring but these guys were talking like the just till them under and start over, sounds costly.

MarcSmith
11-10-2010, 07:48 AM
we pull out the tulips every year and put new in...

http://www.johnscheepers.com/
http://www.vanengelen.com/
http://www.brentandbeckysbulbs.com/

We got em all from one supplier this year. two pallets stacked 6 feet tall....

Az Gardener
11-10-2010, 10:54 PM
Thx Marc I just ordered another 2-K bulbs from Van Englen great prices. Not much selection this late in the season but I can't wait for next year.

White Gardens
11-10-2010, 11:55 PM
Thx Marc I just ordered another 2-K bulbs from Van Englen great prices. Not much selection this late in the season but I can't wait for next year.

AZ, have you ever tried Color Blends. I get their catalog every year and their spring bulb selection looks great, but I wasn't sure about the quality.

MarcSmith
11-11-2010, 07:37 AM
AZ the one thing that I do, since our winters can be unpredictable temp wise, and you'll have to probably do as well is get the bulbs precooled

which means having to order them in july. Just keep that in mind for next year...

I actually had them sort and box the bulbs by bed location. which saved me about a weeks worth of sorting and counting...