PDA

View Full Version : Bluetooth?

R Q
11-09-2010, 08:25 PM
Does a Bluetooth ear piece work when running equipment? I would like to be able to take my calls when they come in.

Fresh_Cut
11-11-2010, 12:37 AM
nope. background noise/equipment will still be too loud for any kind of convo. Especially a "professional" convo

Dnryan
11-11-2010, 02:30 AM
Well i have the blueant headset, ran about 60 bucks online and it has pretty good sound quality and cancels out background noise for the other caller pretty good, but i would never run equipment while talking to a customer. i have some long winded fellow contractors that i deal with and i have to run the equipment when talking to them otherwise i would never get anything done. It's pretty easy to hear them when running a mower but the string trimmer right next to my ear really sucks and i can't hear anything.

R Q
11-11-2010, 07:59 AM
Let me rephrase my question, I cannot hear my phone ring so I miss calls. That is what I'm trying to find out. Does the earpiece alert you when you have a call. I would never talk while running equipment, I need to hear the phone ring.
Thanks

Maxify
11-11-2010, 08:13 AM
Yes, they do. I've used the Plantronics backbeat but kept returning them for water damage due to perspiration behind the ear. My Nokia BH-214 is powered from a dongle and thereby not bothered by my sweat.

Both have OK sound but you're not going to listen to Beethoven while operating our Scag or Stihl, ay?

Roger
11-11-2010, 05:36 PM
Let me rephrase my question, I cannot hear my phone ring so I miss calls. That is what I'm trying to find out. Does the earpiece alert you when you have a call. I would never talk while running equipment, I need to hear the phone ring.
Thanks

Ah, ha, ... that is my question too. I keep my flip phone in my breast pocket, hoping the vibration will be enough to catch incoming calls. But, I usually miss them -- too much vibration in the arm through the hand on the trimmer, elbow on the arm rest of the ZTR, etc. In fact, I sometimes put the phone in my pants pocket, and then feel the vibration of the phone in my shirt pocket -- which doesn't reside there! False alarm.

I would think the earpiece is not practical when out working. With low handing branches, quick movements of the head, etc, I would think it would get knocked off way to easily. It looks too precarious on those who wear them.

yardguy28
11-11-2010, 06:16 PM
why do you guys want to be able to hear the phone ring and answer phone calls while working? how would you get anything done? even if i kept my phone on me while working, i'm not gonna stop my trimmer, blower or mower to answer the damn thing. they can leave a message and i'll call them back when i'm between jobs. if they don't leave a message then it wasn't important.

when i'm on a job my goal is to get it done as quickly as i can providing the quality i provide. stopping to answer the phone just takes up more time.

R Q
11-11-2010, 06:37 PM
why do you guys want to be able to hear the phone ring and answer phone calls while working? how would you get anything done? even if i kept my phone on me while working, i'm not gonna stop my trimmer, blower or mower to answer the damn thing. they can leave a message and i'll call them back when i'm between jobs. if they don't leave a message then it wasn't important.

when i'm on a job my goal is to get it done as quickly as i can providing the quality i provide. stopping to answer the phone just takes up more time.

That is not the question I asked! :laugh:
Actually I have people that I WANT to talk too! And they might just be kinda pretty too!:D

yardguy28
11-11-2010, 06:41 PM
That is not the question I asked! :laugh:
Actually I have people that I WANT to talk too! And they might just be kinda pretty too!:D

well if i'm not willing to stop and answer the phone for business related issues do you think i'd be willing to stop and answer the phone for non business related issues??? i don't think so.

i don't care if it's the president of the united states calling. everyone that calls while i'm working can leave a message or call back later.

no message left, no return phone call. personal or business related either one.

R Q
11-11-2010, 07:55 PM
well if i'm not willing to stop and answer the phone for business related issues do you think i'd be willing to stop and answer the phone for non business related issues??? i don't think so.

i don't care if it's the president of the united states calling. everyone that calls while i'm working can leave a message or call back later.

no message left, no return phone call. personal or business related either one.

If our president called right now you can be sure I wouldn't call him back!:laugh:

GunnPropertyServices
11-11-2010, 09:48 PM
I use ear buds that have a mic on them, i listen to the radio on my phone and when a call comes in it rings threw, it works great to block out the noise too
its hands free but not wireless

Fresh_Cut
11-11-2010, 10:48 PM
I use ear buds that have a mic on them, i listen to the radio on my phone and when a call comes in it rings threw, it works great to block out the noise too
its hands free but not wireless

This is what I have for my blackberry Storm. The music stops when I have a call and it rings....but I wouldn't hear it other than knowing that the music stopped.

Some people are the driving force behind their business and need to accept calls as they come in. I think it's unprofessional to be calling unknown numbers back and asking, "hello, I'm returning a missed call from this number. This is Fresh Cut"

I'd rather catch it the first time, get to the business, get address for estimate, and get off the phone in a timely and courteous manner.

yardguy28
11-12-2010, 04:00 PM
This is what I have for my blackberry Storm. The music stops when I have a call and it rings....but I wouldn't hear it other than knowing that the music stopped.

Some people are the driving force behind their business and need to accept calls as they come in. I think it's unprofessional to be calling unknown numbers back and asking, "hello, I'm returning a missed call from this number. This is Fresh Cut"

I'd rather catch it the first time, get to the business, get address for estimate, and get off the phone in a timely and courteous manner.

since i'm solo you'd consider me the driving force behind my business.

when people call if i'm on the other line, away from the phone, or using the trimmer, mower, blower, edger, pruner, etc. then can leave a message and i will return the call as soon as i can (inbetween jobs or in the evening).

if a message is not left, there is no call back. like you said i am not going to call back an unknown number. if they don't leave a message it either isn't important or they don't want my business.

i know some people have a thing about leaving messages but they need to get over it. voicemail and message machines are there for a reason. i'm not gonna shut down my piece of equipment in the middle of a job to answer the phone. people calling lawn companys need to realize during the day is when we are out doing our work.

how would you ever get anything done on time if your stopping and answering phone calls all the time? i've been on jobs that take half an hour or less and when i return to the truck and check my phone i've got 3 missed calls. think how long that half an hour job would have taken if i would have stopped each time the phone rang.

Dnryan
11-12-2010, 04:05 PM
I agreecompletly with you yard guy. If someone can't understand that I have other jobs not just them then I don't need the headache of them as a customer. No message no callback if I don't know the number.
Posted via Mobile Device

Roger
11-12-2010, 05:22 PM
... If someone can't understand that I have other jobs not just them then I don't need the headache of them as a customer. No message no callback if I don't know the number.

We obviously have different perspectives on customer relationships. My goal is to make every customer believe that they are my only customer, that I am there to do their work for an agreed-upon price. Each customer does not need to know, or care, what other customers are on my schedule. They only are concerned about my service to them.

With regard to no number for callback, I believe every cell phone now has caller ID, and records of missed calls. This means your phone will have the originating number of the call. If I am expecting a call that is of my doing, then I will return the call on the number ID. But, if I am not expecting a call, and no message, then no callback.

The mystery to me is that people do not understand I cannot talk to them with equipment running. If I am on my ZTR and hear/feel the call, I answer "Hang on please," in a loud voice. I go about shutting down, getting away from the equipment noise, and then proceed to talk. But, in most cases, they are not understanding what I am doing, and will hang up. I conclude that they do not understand the sound level on the machines, even though they realize that I could be operating a piece of equipment, the same equipment I use on their property.

yardguy28
11-12-2010, 07:51 PM
We obviously have different perspectives on customer relationships. My goal is to make every customer believe that they are my only customer, that I am there to do their work for an agreed-upon price. Each customer does not need to know, or care, what other customers are on my schedule. They only are concerned about my service to them.

With regard to no number for callback, I believe every cell phone now has caller ID, and records of missed calls. This means your phone will have the originating number of the call. If I am expecting a call that is of my doing, then I will return the call on the number ID. But, if I am not expecting a call, and no message, then no callback.

The mystery to me is that people do not understand I cannot talk to them with equipment running. If I am on my ZTR and hear/feel the call, I answer "Hang on please," in a loud voice. I go about shutting down, getting away from the equipment noise, and then proceed to talk. But, in most cases, they are not understanding what I am doing, and will hang up. I conclude that they do not understand the sound level on the machines, even though they realize that I could be operating a piece of equipment, the same equipment I use on their property.

i realize clients don't care about your other clients. and i try and treat them as if they are the only client as well. when i'm working on there property. and with regards to when i service there property.

but the phone thing is totally different and seperate in my perspective. whether you are a current client, a family memeber, a friend, someone looking to be a client, the president, the pope, etc. leave a message and i will return the call as soon as possible. like i said between jobs or in the evening, once in a blue moon on my lunch break if i take one.

no message, no call back. even if i recognize the number, even if your family or friend, even if you call 5 times in an hour. which yes i have had happen to me.

i treat this business as any other job with regards to phone calls. if you worked at walmart, kroger, target, etc. they don't let you take phone calls on the job. so why should this be any different. if i'm on someone's property working it will wait. if you don't want to wait, thats too bad.

but also keep in mind this is my practice with phone calls PERIOD not just my work practice. i can be sitting in the pool on a sunday afternoon and if i miss a call and there is no message to go with it, it will not get called back.

Dnryan
11-13-2010, 11:19 AM
I guess i need to clarify, if i know the number and its a client, if they don't leave a message, depending on the customer, i generally call them back. If it's a number i don't recognize, im not going to call them back unless they leave a message, period. And also i get a lot of calls that are "restricted" or "unavailable" and i never answer those because far too often it tends to be a mexican on the other line looking for someone and it just wastes time to answer those calls by in large. I never have had complaints from customers about me not answering the phone and alot of them are very pleased when i call them back in 20 minutes or so when i get a chance and i simply explain that i was running equipment and did not hear the phone.

lawnman_scott
11-13-2010, 11:37 AM
since i'm solo you'd consider me the driving force behind my business.

how would you ever get anything done on time if your stopping and answering phone calls all the time? i've been on jobs that take half an hour or less and when i return to the truck and check my phone i've got 3 missed calls. think how long that half an hour job would have taken if i would have stopped each time the phone rang.

Do you average 3 calls per lawn? Its nice to be able to answer some calls, there are some people that it is important to talk to.

I use a motorola stereo headset. it cost about $80 and works great and sounds good as well if you listen to audiobooks or music.

yardguy28
11-13-2010, 04:52 PM
I guess i need to clarify, if i know the number and its a client, if they don't leave a message, depending on the customer, i generally call them back. If it's a number i don't recognize, im not going to call them back unless they leave a message, period. And also i get a lot of calls that are "restricted" or "unavailable" and i never answer those because far too often it tends to be a mexican on the other line looking for someone and it just wastes time to answer those calls by in large. I never have had complaints from customers about me not answering the phone and alot of them are very pleased when i call them back in 20 minutes or so when i get a chance and i simply explain that i was running equipment and did not hear the phone.

exisiting client i know the number or not. for me if you don't leave a message i don't call back.

i've never had a single complaint from anyone that i've never answered the phone or called them back.

Do you average 3 calls per lawn? Its nice to be able to answer some calls, there are some people that it is important to talk to.

I use a motorola stereo headset. it cost about $80 and works great and sounds good as well if you listen to audiobooks or music.

i wouldn't say i average 3 calls per lawn. and there is no one thats, that important to talk to.

we are talking lawn care. there isn't anything in the lawn care world that can't wait until i'm between jobs to talk about.