PDA

View Full Version : Complaining Customer

jonthepain
11-09-2010, 09:29 PM
Yesterday I aerated, overseeded, and CT'd a small yard. The neighbor came over and wanted the same treatment for his front yard. I looked at the yard and recommended a compost topdressing for the thin spots. He wanted it done right away, so I pushed back a couple of other clients and did his today.

Now he is telling me he is not happy with "the quality of the work," because I did not cut the grass first. I told him that I do not cut grass; I do not even own a lawnmower.

His neighbor had scalped his yard before I aerated and overseeded, so the difference is stark. He says I did a good job for the neighbor and a crappy job for him. I actually did more for him, because I did not topdress for the neighbor.

I don't really think it's necessary or even advisable to scalp a yard that is in ok shape before aerating and overseeding. Am I wrong?

Of course the neighbor told him that's it's absolutely imperative to scalp the lawn before aerating and overseeding.

I told him that I'd overseed again after he has his lawn cut - if he can find another lawn mowing service (his old service quit on him.) It's only about 600 sq ft. But he keeps sending me emails denigrating my work (we really went the extra mile putting out the compost and topdressed a lot more than we promised and did 3 passes with our LS WB.)

He's even complained to his neighbor who is not only a good client that has recommended several thousand dollars of business to me this year, but is also my pharmacist to boot.

How critical is it to have the lawn cut low before aerating and overseeding at this time of year?

Thanks
Jon

knox gsl
11-09-2010, 09:40 PM
The only reason I can see that it would be important is so that you can go a few weeks before having to put a mower on new seed other than that I don't see a problem.

jonthepain
11-09-2010, 09:43 PM
thanks gsl. I didn't think so but I wanted to be sure.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
11-09-2010, 11:59 PM
I agree with greenstar, it enables the new seedlings to get a start without having to trample with a mower right away.

If you did a nice topdress, turf height doesn't mean diddly unless it was like over 3" tall or something like that Sounds like the guy wants a freebie out of you.

Something you could do in the future, get a mower/bagger and add in the cost to do this end of things too. Easy way to make more $$.

roccon31
11-10-2010, 09:13 AM
i have done them either way, i find that a scalped lawn is easier to topdress and like the others said, allows you to stay off the lawn for a couple weeks. is it necessary? heck no.

good luck with that customer, ive dropped several of them this year for the same type of BS. money is tight, and everyone is complaining trying to get something for nothing. dont budge, collect your cash. if not, take pictures and take him to small claims for it. odds are he wont show up anyway.

Puttinggreens
11-10-2010, 09:25 AM
You are quite a bit south of me so this may not all apply, but,,,

I look at it this way, the end goal is a thick healthy lawn regardless if we get there from the existing stand or new seed. If the some of existing turf is desirable why scalp it and put it in shock. We want to promote both the existing stand of grass and the new seedlings. In cool season grasses I would certainly say scalping before aeration and seeding is detrimental to the existing stand.

MarcSmith
11-10-2010, 09:56 AM
In cool season grasses I would certainly say scalping before aeration and seeding is detrimental to the existing stand. Agreed
I could see scalping a bermuda but not a cool season... all you are doing is putting the exiting good grass under extreme stress

jonthepain
11-10-2010, 07:24 PM
If the some of existing turf is desirable why scalp it and put it in shock.

My feelings exactly.

btw this client wrote a check for the full amount even while he was denigrating the USA, telling me how much he hates it here, "and don't tell me to go back where I come from cuz I'm stuck here!" blah blah blah.

I just told him that I'm sorry he feels that way. I didn't want the discussion to get off the issue, but I really wanted to tell him that my great grandfather fought for the USA in the Civil War (was wounded several times and his name is on a monument to his regiment at the Bloody Angle at Spotsylvania Courthouse,) my dad fought in WWII in the Pacific, and my brother in Viet Nam.

Yeah I had a lot that I would have liked to say to the guy, but I'm glad I just smiled and yes sirred etc and deposited the check.

Stillwater
11-11-2010, 09:54 AM
We don't scalp, but we will cut it as short as possible so the seedlings do not compete for sunlight. It is late in the season so most of the seed is going to be over wintering anyway. From a business perspective I strongly suggest you make this guy happy, trust me you don't want someone bad mouthing you. refund his money if need be.... or re-do.

FYI the term "scalp" in lawn renovation is cutting the lawn as short as possible it is not to be confused with actual scalping. where parts of the lawn are destroyed.

MarcSmith
11-11-2010, 10:17 AM
still, any time you take more than 1/3 of the grass off you are putting it under stress and not the best health wise for the turf.

Prior to our overseed, we perform a normal cut, aerate, seed and fert. and then no cut for 2 weeks...Any time you cut low you also open up the chances for weeds that have been previously unexposed to losts of light to start their germination process or to get a good foothold and start competing with your seed and grass

Stillwater
11-11-2010, 12:34 PM
still, any time you take more than 1/3 of the grass off you are putting it under stress and not the best health wise for the turf.

Prior to our overseed, we perform a normal cut, aerate, seed and fert. and then no cut for 2 weeks...Any time you cut low you also open up the chances for weeds that have been previously unexposed to losts of light to start their germination process or to get a good foothold and start competing with your seed and grass

Absolutely I agree but it is november our turf hear will be shutting down soon the stress factors are lower weed germanation is low or unlikely and snow will be hear soon.

MarcSmith
11-11-2010, 12:44 PM
here in Dc its still growing it'll grow, albeit slowly, for a few more weeks...hopefully less snow this year than we had last year... or we will be dealing with snow mold...

jonthepain
11-11-2010, 01:12 PM
From a business perspective I strongly suggest you make this guy happy, trust me you don't want someone bad mouthing you. refund his money if need be.... or re-do.

Yup. As stated earlier, I told him I'd reseed after he gets it cut. Apparently he was ok with that solution, cuz then he cut me a check.

His bad mouthing our country still kinda bothers me. I've never run across that before.

garydale
11-16-2010, 01:13 PM
I agree with everyone comments.
As to your question, it is never "critical"

Will P.C.
11-16-2010, 01:51 PM
Im not familiar with Raleigh and what kind of grass you have.

The topdressing is much easier when you cut the grass short. I have done it both ways in my yard and it really doesn't matter in the long run

Agape
11-27-2010, 10:55 AM
Yesterday I aerated, overseeded, and CT'd a small yard. The neighbor came over and wanted the same treatment for his front yard. I looked at the yard and recommended a compost topdressing for the thin spots. He wanted it done right away, so I pushed back a couple of other clients and did his today.

Now he is telling me he is not happy with "the quality of the work," because I did not cut the grass first. I told him that I do not cut grass; I do not even own a lawnmower.

His neighbor had scalped his yard before I aerated and overseeded, so the difference is stark. He says I did a good job for the neighbor and a crappy job for him. I actually did more for him, because I did not topdress for the neighbor.

I don't really think it's necessary or even advisable to scalp a yard that is in ok shape before aerating and overseeding. Am I wrong?

Of course the neighbor told him that's it's absolutely imperative to scalp the lawn before aerating and overseeding.

I told him that I'd overseed again after he has his lawn cut - if he can find another lawn mowing service (his old service quit on him.) It's only about 600 sq ft. But he keeps sending me emails denigrating my work (we really went the extra mile putting out the compost and topdressed a lot more than we promised and did 3 passes with our LS WB.)

He's even complained to his neighbor who is not only a good client that has recommended several thousand dollars of business to me this year, but is also my pharmacist to boot.

How critical is it to have the lawn cut low before aerating and overseeding at this time of year?

Thanks
Jon

lawn mowers are not the powerful vaccuums everyone thinks they are- you can probabally still mow the lawn without sucking up the seed- but you don't want to trample it either-I've run across people who think that the tines wont go in as far without the grass cut....(dumb a$$$es)

Stillwater
11-27-2010, 11:09 AM
lawn mowers are not the powerful vaccuums everyone thinks they are- you can probabally still mow the lawn without sucking up the seed- but you don't want to trample it either-I've run across people who think that the tines wont go in as far without the grass cut....(dumb a$$$es)

some like the grass cut short at the time of seeding to offset the amount of time you do not cut. A exmark with a ultra vac bagger will destroy a seed job