PDA

View Full Version : Ohio - New Safety Rules for Non‐CDL Vehicles

HISnHERS
11-09-2010, 10:22 PM
Not sure if this has been posted on LS yet. If so, sorry for the repeat. If not, Ohioians ought to read up.

http://www.puco.ohio.gov/emplibrary/files/media/Publications/Fact_Sheets/new%20safety%20rules%20for%20private%20intrastate%20vehicles.pdf

HISnHERS
11-09-2010, 10:36 PM
Sounds like a local landscaper had one of his guys pulled over and warned already.

http://www.dispatchpolitics.com/live/content/local_news/stories/2010/11/09/copy/owner-says-big-rig-rules-dont-fit-his-small-trucks.html?adsec=politics&sid=101

AdamChrap
11-09-2010, 10:37 PM
Wow that sucks! Biggest problem I see is a lot more paperwork and the impact the driving hrs can have on snowplowing.

Puddle of Oil
11-10-2010, 12:44 AM
If you have a 250/2500 while plowing you'll be fine. However the moment you hook up the trailer the rules apply to you.
Posted via Mobile Device

BlackBirdWS.6
11-10-2010, 01:24 AM
This was the big thing this summer. All i heard about was people getting pulled over but until recently their was no written rules about this and you could not obtain the rules, but i apply with everything. They are getting out of hand though. according to the troopers you need cabin lights on your truck when according to state law you only need them on a 1 ton or bigger. It's getting out of hand, i agree with some, you should have your equipment tied down etc because of a safety issue but almost all their regulations are wayyy out of hand. but this also all started when that wood chipper in pa took out that family...

gasracer
11-10-2010, 03:06 PM
So far they don't have that in Tennessee. They voted down the "English" only for D.L. last year. It is getting to a point here where a Trooper can't ask for I.D. or proof of citizenship if the person is Hispanic without them wanting to say there rights are violated.

Lawn Enforcer
11-12-2010, 09:34 AM
Minnesota is pretty much the same way now too, I got pulled over a month ago in my '89 Cummins, gotta have the medical card, triangles, fire ext., fuses, company name on door, etc. At least the trooper who pulled me over was pretty nice about it, let me off with warnings instead of tickets.

starry night
11-12-2010, 10:53 AM
The Ohio Nursery and Landscape Association is also talking with PUCO on this issue. I really don't understand why the troopers would be pulling trucks over to issue warnings since the ruling has not yet become effective. In the case of the Buck & Sons truck, were they stopped for some other reason and then also warned about the new ruling?

At any rate, the new rules are way more than I think are necessary for landscape trucks and trailers at 10,000 lbs. or slightly more And of course the responsible companies will absorb the costs and the Joe Blows will ignore the rules (and probably get away with it.)

HISnHERS
11-12-2010, 11:22 AM
At any rate, the new rules are way more than I think are necessary for landscape trucks and trailers at 10,000 lbs. or slightly more And of course the responsible companies will absorb the costs and the Joe Blows will ignore the rules (and probably get away with it.)

Agreed. It's the "middle size" operator trying to do it right and follow the rules that will be most effected.

gasracer
11-12-2010, 11:30 AM
A lot around here run with out of date tags,no insurance or proper legal documentation why would they worry about any new rules the state would come up with.

scagrider22
11-12-2010, 08:41 PM
If you have a 250/2500 while plowing you'll be fine. However the moment you hook up the trailer the rules apply to you.
Posted via Mobile Device

Not true, they are also limiting the amount of time we are behind the wheel in one day. Its total bs!

starry night
11-12-2010, 09:05 PM
I'm glad I don't live near a state line like Toledo, Cincy, or Youngstown where you might have business in the other state. That further requires a PUCO number which is then posted on your truck. I'm not sure if there is a cost involved with that. Maybe someone else on here knows.

CLARK LAWN
11-12-2010, 10:25 PM
no cost for the PUCO number but alot of additional BS you have to go through with it.

I went to a seminar about it a couple weeks ago, it has been in effect for a while but they are just giving warnings till Jan 1 then they start the fines. We asked about all the illegals running around an what we got told was if you dont have commercial plates then they really cant to $hit to you.

Some of the rules i agree with but some of them are just BS. A guy around here was told that his brand new trailer wasnt compliant. He was also told that he could not leave his truck/trailer unattended while it was parked at a job, it was parked on street and he was in back yard.

Problem is it is going to be like most of the other regs in this state, they only regulate the ones that are trying to be legal.

Puddle of Oil
11-12-2010, 11:55 PM
Not true, they are also limiting the amount of time we are behind the wheel in one day. Its total bs!

In the meeting they broadcasted live online they said if your trucks gvwr was under 10k you'll be fine. However when you hook up the trailer your gcvwr will take effect and that's when the rules apply.
Posted via Mobile Device

scagrider22
11-13-2010, 01:15 AM
In the meeting they broadcasted live online they said if your trucks gvwr was under 10k you'll be fine. However when you hook up the trailer your gcvwr will take effect and that's when the rules apply.
Posted via Mobile Device

Yes thats correct but unfortunately none of my trucks gvwr is under 10k, lol time to start running overloaded half tons!

BlackBirdWS.6
11-13-2010, 03:55 PM
He was also told that he could not leave his truck/trailer unattended while it was parked at a job, it was parked on street and he was in back yard.

that depends on the street you are on, neighborhood your fine, but on a busy street such as a state route then that rule comes into play.

South Florida Lawns
11-15-2010, 07:46 PM
Minnesota is pretty much the same way now too, I got pulled over a month ago in my '89 Cummins, gotta have the medical card, triangles, fire ext., fuses, company name on door, etc. At least the trooper who pulled me over was pretty nice about it, let me off with warnings instead of tickets.

WHAT that is insane all your doing is pulling a little ass trailer with a damn lawn mower on it.

BlackBirdWS.6
11-15-2010, 09:15 PM
WHAT that is insane all your doing is pulling a little ass trailer with a damn lawn mower on it.

that's what i'm saying! I can understand having a secured load that should be mandatory because that is dangerous with mowers bouncing around, and i know a guy who watched one fall off a trailer! but this is to the extreme its a lawn truck not an 18 wheeler.

kc2006
11-15-2010, 10:28 PM
hopefully it weeds out the hacks or makes people that charge peanuts to raise their prices.

Only thing I need is the medical card, and get the truck/trailer inspected when places start offering them. Everything else has been compliant all along.

kc2006
11-15-2010, 10:45 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

This isn't totally true. If you haul a trailer with that plow truck, your plate sticker should be stickered for both truck and trailer gvw. So your now back under the law. My 3/4 ton ford has a 16k sticker, trucks gvw is around 9k and the trailer is 7k. So I'll technically be under the law requirements all the time.

The only thing that will upset me on all this BS is if they do like I'm sure they will and not enforce it to all. When I brought up the non-comm plate issue to the trooper at a meeting he pretty much said it. "If I pull you over and you have non-comm plates, and you lie when I ask if your doing work commercially, I have no jurisdiction over you". So the fly by nights will get away with it.

scagrider22
11-15-2010, 10:57 PM
This isn't totally true. If you haul a trailer with that plow truck, your plate sticker should be stickered for both truck and trailer gvw. So your now back under the law. My 3/4 ton ford has a 16k sticker, trucks gvw is around 9k and the trailer is 7k. So I'll technically be under the law requirements all the time.

The only thing that will upset me on all this BS is if they do like I'm sure they will and not enforce it to all. When I brought up the non-comm plate issue to the trooper at a meeting he pretty much said it. "If I pull you over and you have non-comm plates, and you lie when I ask if your doing work commercially, I have no jurisdiction over you". So the fly by nights will get away with it.

I could be wrong its been a while since I read the new laws but I think they said they will start enforcing the stickers on the plate as well meaning you cant put a 16k sticker on your 3/4 ton. I believe you would have to use a 10k sticker.

BlackBirdWS.6
11-15-2010, 10:59 PM
Only thing I need is the medical card, and get the truck/trailer inspected when places start offering them. Everything else has been compliant all along.

Same Here :)

Puddle of Oil
11-15-2010, 11:06 PM
:dizzy::dizzy::dizzy::dizzy:

kc2006
11-15-2010, 11:26 PM
I could be wrong its been a while since I read the new laws but I think they said they will start enforcing the stickers on the plate as well meaning you cant put a 16k sticker on your 3/4 ton. I believe you would have to use a 10k sticker.

You have to put a sticker to cover your total combined weight rating. A trailer becomes part of your truck when its connected and because we only pay what $30 some for our trailer plates the tax has to come from somewhere to cover it. Like Clark has a 22 or 24k on his because he has a 3500hd and a trailer with a rating of what 14k? He can answer that.
Posted via Mobile Device

scagrider22
11-15-2010, 11:34 PM
You have to put a sticker to cover your total combined weight rating. A trailer becomes part of your truck when its connected and because we only pay what $30 some for our trailer plates the tax has to come from somewhere to cover it. Like Clark has a 22 or 24k on his because he has a 3500hd and a trailer with a rating of what 14k? He can answer that.
Posted via Mobile Device

Fuk!!! lol its nonsense. Oh well guess Im getting new plates when the laws go into affect.

BlackBirdWS.6
11-16-2010, 12:05 AM
it is nonsense! just a way to make more money and kc you can go to a truck stop and get your medical card there..

kc2006
11-16-2010, 12:18 AM
I'm gunna pick up a lot lizard while I'm there.
Posted via Mobile Device

starry night
11-16-2010, 08:11 AM
Posted via Mobile Device

Gotta be careful. You could pick up a lot more than a lizard. :)

CLARK LAWN
11-16-2010, 08:42 AM
Posted via Mobile Device

brown chicken brown cow

CLARK LAWN
11-16-2010, 08:46 AM
Fuk!!! lol its nonsense. Oh well guess Im getting new plates when the laws go into affect.

that law has been around for ever. the people at the DMV dont know or care they will sell you anything, it when you get stopped that you find it out. i know alot of people around here that have been getting caught for that recently. the fine is a hell of alot more than just getting the right sticker.

Kiowa Scout
11-26-2010, 10:13 AM
Hey guys, I'm in the same boat you are. Having loads of fun
dealing with getting compliant, but on a little different scale.

I own and operate a small excavating business in Boardman.
In the last two months I've dumped a small fortune in my Ford 650 dump
and trailer. New tires, fire extinguisher, triangles ect, ect, ect.

Each week I get a little closer. My next steps are class B to a class A CDL.
Get my self wizz tested and get the 650 and trailer inspected.

I just stickered up the the truck last week. I hope it keeps the man at bay
untill I get 100% up.

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh200/kiowascout/15841.jpg

HISnHERS
11-26-2010, 02:05 PM
Looks like the state has decided to delay enforcement of the new standards until Jan 1, 2012. Maybe they will work to further clarify the issue or give folks more time to become aware of the rules.

Here is a link to the PUCO docket record that indicates that enforcement of the rules has been delayed. (Dated 11/22/10)

http://dis.puc.state.oh.us/CaseRecord.aspx?CaseNo=09-223

John from OH
11-26-2010, 04:08 PM
Let's not get to excited by the "reprieve". It appears to be a delay of the fines only. The second line in following got my attention and I think it may be a real eye opener.

"Fines will not be assessed on roadside safety inspections until January 1, 2012, unless egregious violations are discovered. However, vehicles and drivers found not to be in compliance can be declared out-of-service."

This could be interpreted by the DOT/PUCO as any vehicle that hasn't had it's yearly inspection could be put out of service. The same could apply to any driver that doesn't have a medical card or is over hours of service during snow storms. I have asked for clarification on DOT's intentions. I know several trade associations as well as several legislatures were pressuring PUCO to delay implementation and for PUCO to review and clarify some of the regulations. As soon as I get an answer, I will post it.

One thing for sure, don't trust government, they are on a dollar hunt, and they think we have the dollars. Watch OSHA's next moves as well. Fines are going through the roof. Remember, Ohio has a projected budget deficit of $8 billion and they need revenue to cover it. Write your representatives and get involved.

Kiowa Scout
11-26-2010, 06:42 PM
John, I agree with you. I'm not going to relax until I get everything done that I can.

I know a bunch of guys who aren't taking this seriously. That's up to them...
I don't need that "Oh shat" feeling every time I see a trooper.

The new governor promised to be more business friendly for Ohio. We need to hold his feet to the fire.