PDA

View Full Version : help with st augistine program

grassmasterswilson
11-10-2010, 09:02 AM
I am lucky/unlucky enough to live in a transition zone. I currently treat fescue, bermuda, and centipede. As the temperatures keep rising many of my fescue customers are switching over to st augistine to avoid the summer die out we have here.

How many rounds do you do? Any help on chemicals or dangers would be great? I know this species is more sensitive than centipede.

southernprecision
11-10-2010, 09:45 AM
St Auggie makes up about 50 percent of our lawns. Nitro is very important as is potassium. Apply at recommended amounts and dont skimp. Be sure to keep up with your micro-nutrients. We use tri-mec, celsius, and manor. We high rate until temps reach 85 then drop to low rate. A round of crosscheck in summer helps with chinch bugs and army worms. Most importantly, we have to do a soil sample each year...maybe because of our sandy soil. Regardless, if you're not doing your homework, St Auggie will sure tell on you! Good luck.

RAlmaroad
11-10-2010, 10:48 AM
I love St. Augustine. Stuff grows fast. As mentioned above, St. Augustine loves nitrogen every month IF your are spraying. It is however very picky on what herbicides you can use. If you're treating centipede and using Vantage or Sethoxyadim--it will kill it. Celsius is good for a lot of your broadleafs but not all. We fertilize until January or late December and use plenty of potassium. The fast growing glass will deplete micro quickly so a monthly feeding of Iron and micros is also a must. St. Augustine does not like too much foot traffic unlike fescue. As a matter of fact, it don't like it at all. So educate your clients with children and pets.
But remember in some parts of the country it is a year round game but in NC, the winters, especially around Raleigh and Wilson will slow the growth almost like the fescue. St. Augustine will go into dormancy as is now in SC. So it is not a brown-proof grass.
Also St. Augustine requires lots and lots of water--more than you would think especially if you have a sandy base. Believe me I have clients that water it for three hours a day every other day to keep it green and thriving. That is sand for you. A month ago it rained 10" in one day and we were mowing in the afternoon. True. Sandy ground will not hold any water. What water plants pick up is what the roots grab as the water is passing by on it's way down. Fertilize is quickly depleted in sand also; so the blades are a big part of feeding the plants. Keep that in mind when educating your clients also.
If you have a particular question, just ask.
Roy