PDA

View Full Version : Poison Ivy & Weeds

Pistol
11-10-2010, 10:01 AM
I just cleared a wooded area containing lots of poison ivy, various weeds and vines. The customer wants mulch in this area.

Would it be best to wait until things start growing back in the spring - then spray with round-up, then cover with landscape fabric and mulch, or just cover with landscape fabric and mulch.

The customer is very concerned about the poison ivy.

Florida Gardener
11-10-2010, 03:01 PM
I would wait a few weeks and then spray the whole area down.
Posted via Mobile Device

GravyTrain
11-10-2010, 04:25 PM
for my time and effort, landscape fabric is more of a nuisance than anything.

Ric
11-10-2010, 05:33 PM
Pistol

Poison Ivy and vining plants are best controlled with 2,4-D. Many people will SUPERCHARGE their Roundup by adding 2,4-D to there Roundup. On real wooded or heavy brush area I like to add a 3 way herbicide to my Roundup for even more knock down power.

fl-landscapes
11-10-2010, 05:51 PM
Pistol

Poison Ivy and vining plants are best controlled with 2,4-D. Many people will SUPERCHARGE their Roundup by adding 2,4-D to there Roundup. On real wooded or heavy brush area I like to add a 3 way herbicide to my Roundup for even more knock down power.

hey ric, how about triclopyr? May be spelled wrong (garlon) for this app??

CHARLES CUE
11-10-2010, 07:14 PM
let it grow back. Than crossbow and gly.

That makes a 3way.

Charles Cue

nik
11-10-2010, 07:31 PM
Kind of late now for that lot, but does the poison ivy go dormant in your area?
If it does you'll need to wait a while to hit it. I would let it come back with a few sets of new leaves then get on it. Crossbow (or your own mix of 2,4-D and triclopyr) will do it. If your treating mostly green stems and few if any leaves, you'll be needing a good sticker to keep it on the stems to make sure it gets in.

Our poison oak usually turns on us by Sept and we have to wait till April for it to leaf out. If you have full vines that are still green but are just going dormant, a little fert in the mix will help that stuff get into the plant.

I found that with glyphosate and many woody plants, hitting them when they are flowering gets me the best control. Second best is a fall application whn the sugars are heading rootward.

Ric
11-10-2010, 07:53 PM
hey ric, how about triclopyr? May be spelled wrong (garlon) for this app??

Fl

Sure triclopyr will work but at what cost??? Using any 3 way is allot more cost effective. In fact if it is small job just buy pint or quart of Home owner Weed B Gone.

Along the same economic, Cost of purchasing material and cost per Thousand application can be a Big business decision. Take Primo growth regulator. It cost close to $ 400 a gallon but only takes 4.5 oz per acre. While the cost per thousand is very low, the Purchase of Primo type chemicals can cut into cash flow. This can be even worse with Chemicals only used for special jobs.

Charles

3 way= 2,4-D + methlyl Chorophenoxy + Dicamba

3 way is a very old and popular select herbicide that is marketed under all kinds of trade names.

CHARLES CUE
11-10-2010, 08:35 PM
Fl

Charles

3 way= 2,4-D + methlyl Chorophenoxy + Dicamba

3 way is a very old and popular select herbicide that is marketed under all kinds of trade names.

Yes Ric i know this. I was only being a smart a$$

3 ways refers to 3 different chems mixed together so you don't have to.

Do you old guys remember when used to mix your own.

Charles Cue

RigglePLC
11-10-2010, 09:21 PM
Sure go ahead and apply the mulch. However expect the poison ivy to reappear from the roots or rhizomes in the spring when temps hit about 65. Hit it again at that time--but be sure to hit it when it is young and tender--less than 6 inches tall. Of course if you plant a lot of shrubbery--that will make it a whole lot more difficult--wait on that.

A product like Lesco Eliminate with triclopyr, mcpp and dicamba is a good bet.

Pistol
11-11-2010, 07:29 AM
Thanks everyone!

jasontimm
11-11-2010, 08:34 AM
for my time and effort, landscape fabric is more of a nuisance than anything.

I agree, we went away from fabric when using multch because when the weeds come back, thier root get grown into the fabric which makes it darn hard to pull them out.