PDA

View Full Version : Question For Those Who Bag Clients' Leaves

slapon
11-10-2010, 04:00 PM
How do you most efficiently bag your clients' leaves? For instance, how many crew members do you have on a job and what is each of their function? Do you have one person holding the bag open with their hands and feet while another rakes leaves into the bag? Do you have another tie the bags and carry them away? Your feedback is much appreciated.

johnsonslawnmanagement
11-10-2010, 04:11 PM
We use walker mowers to vaccum our leave then dump them in the dump truck. If we can't get access with the walkers we rake leaves onto a tarp and drag to the truck. That's the fastest way.
Posted via Mobile Device

STIHL GUY
11-10-2010, 04:15 PM
i dont bag but for small cleanups i blow everything to the street and suck it up into the truck...for big jobs i have me using the BP blower and my friend using the WB blower to move leaves to the street to suck up. we are both working the whole time so there is no down time

slapon
11-10-2010, 04:18 PM
I understand being able to tarp the leaves and load them in the truck is easier, but, for those who bag leaves, how is it best done?

gasracer
11-10-2010, 04:20 PM
I try to have my helper with me when I am doing leave but I have did them solo. I have a vac/bagger on my ZTR. I have my helper blowing out the beds and areas I can't get into while I run the mower. I find a spot to dump when the box gets full.I use gator blade so it shreds everything(much better for cleanup). When he gets done blowing he starts bagging.I have a very large dustpan that works great. When I get done with the mower one of us holds the bag and the other fills it.I use the 3mil thick bags so you can fill them up.

slapon
11-10-2010, 04:34 PM
Regarding having a person hold the bag open, is it possible to do it without one individual holding the bag open as the other dumps it in?

gasracer
11-10-2010, 04:42 PM
Regarding having a person hold the bag open, is it possible to do it without one individual holding the bag open as the other dumps it in?
Yes but it depends on if they are crushed,and if you can keep the bag open and upright. I have did it many times alone holding the bag open with one hand and using my big dustpan,Just not as fast.

slapon
11-10-2010, 04:57 PM
Would being able to rake leaves directly into a bag without the need of a helper be beneficial, so long as the bag is being kept wide open?

Mr. Mow it all
11-10-2010, 06:00 PM
Ok...........nothing can be put into a closed bag, so somehow the bag has to be held open either by another person or there are a number of contraptions on the market to help you do that if your doing it solo.

slapon
11-10-2010, 06:00 PM
Let's go back to the original question. For those bagging leaves, what is the most efficient means to do it, and how much time does it take for you to fill a large bag?

slapon
11-10-2010, 06:02 PM
Regarding contraptions on the market to hold the bag open, what are they, and do they work well? Thanks.

knox gsl
11-10-2010, 06:12 PM
Let's go back to the original question. For those bagging leaves, what is the most efficient means to do it, and how much time does it take for you to fill a large bag?

Are you serious, just go get the biggest hefty bags, hold the bag with you left hand and foot and rake the leaves in. When half way full set it upright and grab 2 rakes and clamp the leaves in them and drop on top of the bag, then pull the sides up over the top of the leaves until the bag is full. Keep repeating this untill all leaves are bagged up or you just get pissed off and mulch them up. :cool2::cool2:

eaglescout1993
11-10-2010, 06:53 PM
Are you serious, just go get the biggest hefty bags, hold the bag with you left hand and foot and rake the leaves in. When half way full set it upright and grab 2 rakes and clamp the leaves in them and drop on top of the bag, then pull the sides up over the top of the leaves until the bag is full. Keep repeating this untill all leaves are bagged up or you just get pissed off and mulch them up. :cool2::cool2:

i do NOT use trash bags, hate them and they take to much time.

use a mower with 3 blades or more and a 7bushle or bigger bagger. have one guy mow and one guy blow out beds and away from trees about 18in. dump directly into truck/trailer and move on the next job.

i can do 1 house every 45min that is 6-8in thick with leaves and it looks perfect when i leave. i can make 1200/day before gas and paying my one helper so say 1000 profit for the day.

slapon
11-10-2010, 07:14 PM
Re: Greenstarlawns
Yes, I am serious. It may seem like a simple question, but there are different ways that people bag leaves, particularly lawn care crews. How people work together to get a job done, the tools they use and their methodoligy are important. I'm gathering no one likes to bag leaves, because it is very labor intensive, so I'm seeing what's the less difficult and most productive way to bag leaves. It's not obvious to you, but I have a reason for asking the questions, and feedback is very helpful.

Elite LawnCare
11-10-2010, 07:26 PM
Use big trash bins like u get at lowes that will keep the bag open.

knox gsl
11-10-2010, 07:53 PM
If I have to remove from the lawn I don't bag. My first thing to do is mulch them up, if to many or customer doesn't want them mulched I load and haul off. Being as I haven't bought a vacuum or dumper trailer I do the next best thing. I will make long windrows of leaves and park my trailer at the end with the gate down and use my ZTR as a dozier and push them on to the trailer. Before loading I'll place a pallet at the from of the trailer with a cable attached that is laid on the floor and then hooked to the back of the trailer so it will stay in place. After using the mower to pack the trailer tight with leaves I'll either pack tight enough to fit the mower on or worse leave it there and then come back and get it (This option sucks). When everything is loaded I will then cover with a 8' x 18' truckers tarp,(not the cheap blue ones) and bungee it down. When I get to the dump I will then drop the gate and then attach the cable to another cable and then to an anchor point and then drive out from under the leaves. I will then blow off the trailer, pay my bill and then go back and pick up my mower (again this sucks!). At this point I only have one customer that I have to haul away on and he lives across the street from me, but last year I had several that I had to do this with. Hope this helps, BTW if you're talking about Live Oak leaves that's going to suck no matter what you try to do, I think a walk behind vacuum or bagger is the only way to get them up. They are to small to mulch, to small to rake and they take forever to naturally break down.

slapon
11-10-2010, 08:38 PM
Thanks for your input greenstarlawns. What you've said does help. You've got a really creative way to collect leaves since you don't have a leaf vacuum. I'm gathering bagging isn't used too much by lawn care operators, since there really isn't an efficient way for them to do it. Your way seems a lot less labor intensive. I'm realizing that perhaps not too many lawn care operators bag leaves because they haven't really found an efficient way to do it. For anyone out there, is that correct?

abraham
11-15-2010, 11:38 PM
blow them,tarp them,suck them, but never bag them. you'll be there all day. time is money. if they want them bagged tell them to have fun yo.

h2oskier
11-16-2010, 12:33 AM
Slapon would you happen to be a inventor looking for input on what is being used now, because if not it sure sounds that way. I'm not trying to be a critic, but a lot of us could help you out more if you would ask, if there were any modifications we could make to our leaf cleanup needs what would they be? If this is not the case disregard this post.

sdk1959
11-16-2010, 12:38 AM
Mulch the leaves first before bagging otherwise you could easily fill over 100 30 gallon paper bags with un-mulched leaves for a heavily wooded 1/2 acre property. If the leaves are dry and you have a decent mulch kit on your mower it can reduce the leaves up to 20:1. So 100 bags can become reduced to 5 bags. Damp leaves don't mulch as well, so you would have more bags to fill.

Don't collect the leaves with your mower before mulching, that will only reduce them about 3:1, mulch them first, then pick them up with the mower w/bag.

Mulching the leaves first before bagging will be your biggest time saver if you have to bag the leaves.

slapon
11-16-2010, 10:18 AM
h2oskier. Yes, I'm an inventor that has a product, but I cannot advertise on this website, per the rules, which I'm obliged to follow. I have a product that is being tested by LCOs up in Chicago, by Southern Methodist University, the City of Addison, TX and the City of Carrollton, TX. I've gotten a lot of positive feedback from manufacturer's reps, distributors and retailers. One last hurdle that I need to overcome is that my product works on a square receptacle, which no retailer currently carries. Thanks for asking, and any help you can offer is much appreciated.

slapon
11-16-2010, 10:23 AM
Regarding the LCOs up in Chicago, Russo Power, a LCO retailer, is making them available to their customers.

slapon
11-16-2010, 12:12 PM
The purpose of my original question was to get a better understanding of what my product may be competing against. I have a demonstration at SMU tomorrow, where their employees currently use two feet to stand on the bag, use one hand to pull the bag open and the other free hand to force the leaves into the bag, which doesn't seem too efficient to me. My product secures a 55 gallon bag inside of a square Brute waste receptacle that has a 23"x23" opening. I can fill a 55 gallon bag in about 20 seconds (visualize being able to rake leaves directly into a square receptacle), so I'm wanting to know what other techniques people use to efficiently fill bags. Any feedback is appreciated. www.slapon.net

knox gsl
11-16-2010, 01:34 PM
I watched the video on your web site, although most LCO's most likely won't be bagging anymore because of this, it is still a good product. Most home owners could use this product. Around here the trash company will pick up leaves if they are bagged so you may see 10 or 15 bags in front of homes every week in the fall . I would contiue to market this item to the higher end garden supply centers and see how it goes.

slapon
11-16-2010, 03:50 PM
greenstarlawns, thanks for taking the time to look at the product and to give me feedback. The product works as you can see, so that's not the problem. The problem is that this product has to be sold in a retail environment, due to the high shipping cost of shipping the waste receptacles, so I'm wanting as much feedback from people who are in the lawncare industry as possible their impression of the product. As you've said, retail stores would be ideal, but the roadblock is that stores only sell the round receptacles. My goal is to see if there are other products in the market that could compete well with my product. I've mostly found gadgets that may serve niche markets, though. It would be good to know if there are any LCOs using a product to help them bag leaves, or if they just do it by hand. I'm coming to the experts and hoping they'll share their knowledge. Thanks.

Darryl G
11-16-2010, 04:32 PM
I didn't read all replies but there are basically leaf funnels that with on top of a garbage can and hold the bag open in place while you fill it. Never tried one but in fact just saw one when I was at my local hardware store/equipment dealer.

I do sometimes bag the leaves from my mower bagger though. I put a 40 gallon trash bag line in a trash can and fill it and then tie it off and throw it in my truck. I've found that it helps to drill some holes in the bottom of the can and to spray silicone on the inside of the can to make it easier to pull the bags out. The holes help to release the vacuum created when you remove the bag and of course the silicone reduces friction.

slapon
11-16-2010, 04:41 PM
I've drilled holes in the bottom of the waste receptacle to relieve the vacuum, but I've not ever heard of anyone or thought of anyone spraying the inside of the receptacle with silicone. That's a really great idea.

Darryl G
11-16-2010, 04:46 PM
The ground up leaves and grass can be pretty heavy and I often compact them too, so the silcone does help. I don't imagine it would matter much with whole leaves though.