PDA

View Full Version : Best Cool Air Intake?

Turtle Creek Lawn Care
11-10-2010, 06:14 PM
Hi, I have a 2006 Chevy 1500 5.3L v8 and I would like to put a cool air intake in it. What is my best bet for best brand for the money? Im not looking to break the bank here lol. Also what will increase my HP the most and etc.?

Thanks!
Ryan

BlackBirdWS.6
11-10-2010, 07:39 PM
i think you mean cold air intake haha but go with a k&n best brand out there

Turtle Creek Lawn Care
11-10-2010, 07:43 PM
haha alright well my bad.. but ok thanks for the help

Ryan

kylesturf
11-10-2010, 08:11 PM
k&n i got one on my gas hog dodge and love it. worth ever penny.

Knight511
11-10-2010, 09:26 PM
All filter on tube intakes are pretty well the same... the K&Ns might have the heat shield that helps, but get a true cold air (filter outside of the engine bay) and you will be just as good.

PROPERTYLAWNSERVICELLC
11-14-2010, 01:49 AM
sawzall would be the quickest cheapest thing for a "true cold Air" system or
K@N

STIHL GUY
11-18-2010, 09:28 PM
i just ordered a K&N cold air intake for my 2500HD...its supposed to be here on wednesday

topsites
11-18-2010, 09:41 PM
The first thing that will increase your vehicle's performance is keeping up
with ALL, or most, or as much as you can of ALL the standard maintenance.

That alone, just trying to keep up with all the standard maintenance is usually enough to
keep you so busy and your wallet so busted that you won't have time nor money to fool
around with any of that aftermarket ricer crack.

Seriously, your vehicle and you will benefit further from you just doing oil changes like
you're supposed to than you riggering up the underside of the hood with ricer crack.

But whatever you do, make sure you keep the OEM stuff and either drive it until
the wheels fall off or hope the next buyer is "hip" with all that extra ricer crack.
Because guy like me, I take one look at that after you've fugged it up, and I won't buy it.
No sir, won't touch that thing with a ten foot pole, ricer crack is a red flag, means it's time
to start trotting and build speed to a fast gallop, hayhay hayo silver heeeya mule gtfo!

I'm telling you...
MOST drivers never even change their automatic transmission fluid and filter.
Fact is, if there's ricer crack on a vehicle, the chances that they kept up with any standard maintenance is even lower!
You didn't think I wanted that kind of vehicle, did you?

aird208
11-18-2010, 10:26 PM
I have a volant CAI on my titan and my brother has the K&N on his titan. Both work very well.

BlackBirdWS.6
11-18-2010, 11:40 PM

That alone, just trying to keep up with all the standard maintenance is usually enough to
keep you so busy and your wallet so busted that you won't have time nor money to fool

Seriously, your vehicle and you will benefit further from you just doing oil changes like
you're supposed to than you riggering up the underside of the hood with ricer crack.

the wheels fall off or hope the next buyer is "hip" with all that extra ricer crack.
Because guy like me, I take one look at that after you've fugged it up, and I won't buy it.
No sir, won't touch that thing with a ten foot pole, ricer crack is a red flag, means it's time
to start trotting and build speed to a fast gallop, hayhay hayo silver heeeya mule gtfo!

I'm telling you...
Fact is, if there's ricer crack on a vehicle, the chances that they kept up with any standard maintenance is even lower!

i disagree with that if the intake is just on a riced out vtak honda then yes its rice junk but on anything else its not, a CAI is good investment hp increase and in proved mpg (idk on a w/t hauling tho) and anyone can install one, good investment if you ask me

Knight511
11-19-2010, 11:13 AM
i disagree with that if the intake is just on a riced out vtak honda then yes its rice junk but on anything else its not, a CAI is good investment hp increase and in proved mpg (idk on a w/t hauling tho) and anyone can install one, good investment if you ask me

A CAI is the same on any car... the idea that it makes such a big difference on a big gas guzzling truck yet not on a smaller car is just stupid.

Like I said before, all ffilter-on-tube intakes are the same... no reason to spend $350 on one just to have a cool name brand sticker. ;)

BlackBirdWS.6
11-19-2010, 01:16 PM
A CAI is the same on any car... the idea that it makes such a big difference on a big gas guzzling truck yet not on a smaller car is just stupid.

Like I said before, all ffilter-on-tube intakes are the same... no reason to spend $350 on one just to have a cool name brand sticker. ;)

thats not what i was implying, it will make a difference on any vehicle unrestricted air flow etc..

bradseabridge
11-19-2010, 01:16 PM
The only way a CAI will really work is if you have a CAI with an exhaust to make the CAI perform well and a custom tune made for your intake and exhaust. Otherwise you are spending $300 for 5HP.. pathetic. Unless you got the nuts to spend the cash to do it right, don't do it you are wasting your time.

Oh and the K&n oiled filters and the other oiled filter brands, have fun buying a new MAF after a year or two or religiously cleaning it, which can also kill it.

Knight511
11-19-2010, 05:02 PM
The only way a CAI will really work is if you have a CAI with an exhaust to make the CAI perform well and a custom tune made for your intake and exhaust. Otherwise you are spending $300 for 5HP.. pathetic. Unless you got the nuts to spend the cash to do it right, don't do it you are wasting your time.

Oh and the K&n oiled filters and the other oiled filter brands, have fun buying a new MAF after a year or two or religiously cleaning it, which can also kill it.

K&N intakes can now come with the dryflow filter... no more oil. I am still not a fan of filter-on-tube... take the resonator out of your OEM intake and route it to get air from your fender... you will save hundreds and get the same effect.

On my daily driver (ha... actually it is my tow vehicle too), I actually bought a scoop, installed it into my bumper below a turn signal and routed it to my air box... cold air and ram air ;) I also don't drive through deep water in this car. :)

http://www.carshopinc.com/images/ALL/42141.jpg?osCsid=ca1e339d69582bd6af7e33f05031495a
This is the type of scoop I run... easy to work with... easy to hide... and CHEAP on ebay...

Here it is... below the turn signal... :)
http://i33.tinypic.com/29o25vl.jpg

Knight511
11-19-2010, 05:06 PM
And yes... before it is said... it isn't a truck... but you aren't going to do anything different with a truck with an intake...

bradseabridge
11-20-2010, 01:08 AM
You are towing with an acura? I think that's what that is.

Knight511
11-20-2010, 07:59 AM
You are towing with an acura? I think that's what that is.

Yup. I am a part-time yard guy... I have been for 18 years now. Have had the same customer set for 8+ years. And I tow a small 4x6 utility trailer with my Acura. ;) I use to have an Isuzu PUP that I used for all of the work, but it got to be a PITA to up keep, so I ditched it in favor of a small trailer. :)

gasracer
11-20-2010, 09:47 AM
I have a AIRAID intake on mine. A few bucks cheaper than a K&N

rcslawncare
11-23-2010, 04:51 PM
K&N have messed up two trucks of friends of mine. Both GM's, one 6.0 and one 5.3, the MAF sensor was screwed both times, I wont run one. There are better systems and I believe banks makes a kit for gas models. I like AIRAID myself...

topsites
11-23-2010, 07:11 PM

My point is that if you spent ALL your money on ricer crap then you could NOT have kept up on the maintenance
because you were too flat broke to even have the money for it so there's no way you could have, I ain't stupid.
Damn.

That's my point, my cold air intake cost $25 and the filters $4 each but that's just
for starters because you STILL have to keep up on the regular maintenance first!
Or you're doing it more harm than good!

I'm also not 21 anymore so I'm smart enough to have kept the OEM filter because if I ever
go to SELL the truck it has to get retrofitted with teh OEM stuff first!
Or when the time comes, it won't sell!

Trying to teach these kids something here...

BlackBirdWS.6
11-23-2010, 10:42 PM
My point is that if you spent ALL your money on ricer crap then you could NOT have kept up on the maintenance
because you were too flat broke to even have the money for it so there's no way you could have, I ain't stupid.
Damn.

what ricer crap can you even buy for a heavy duty work truck? its not like you can throw a fart can and a 6 foot wing on the thing. how ya gunna spend all your money on an intake and not keep up on the maintenance I would say if your buying the intake for your vehicle your looking to improve over the stock air box so i would say you probably do keep up on maintenance, I ain't stupid. Damn.

rightnwrong
11-30-2010, 07:38 AM
Hi, I have a 2006 Chevy 1500 5.3L v8 and I would like to put a cool air intake in it. What is my best bet for best brand for the money? Im not looking to break the bank here lol. Also what will increase my HP the most and etc.?

Thanks!
Ryan

I'll go for K&N cold air intakes. It is the best brand I've use. :D

cgaengineer
11-30-2010, 08:09 AM
Not trying to be negative but a cold air intake is probably the most expensive least amount of horsepower producing device you can buy. If you want power get a larger engine or a supercharger.

If your MAF sensor is a heated wire type and you use a K&N oiled filter you will have problems.

There is not replacement for displacement.
Posted via Mobile Device

Knight511
11-30-2010, 09:54 AM
If you want power get .... a supercharger.

There is not replacement for displacement.
Posted via Mobile Device

Oh the irony.... :laugh: There is always a replacement for displacement... shove more air into the engine. ;)

cgaengineer
11-30-2010, 09:56 AM
Oh the irony.... :laugh: There is always a replacement for displacement... shove more air into the engine. ;)

It doesn't replace displacement and raw naturally aspirated power....I mentioned superchargers...in fact I have one on my truck, but it doesn't turn a 4cyl into a V8.
Posted via Mobile Device

gasracer
11-30-2010, 12:39 PM
If I could find a supercharger for my Ford F-150 V-6 I would do it. I have been temped to have a friend that owns a speed shop put a turbo on it. He said the biggest issue would be finding a intake because the factory one is plastic.

Tim Vipond
11-30-2010, 12:53 PM

Thanks!
Ryan
2006 CHEVROLET TRUCKS SILVERADO 1500 PICKUP 5.3L 8-cyl Engine Code [B]

Air Filter INJEN-AMSOIL Air Intake System (PF7050P) [3]

[3] Chrome Finish

$368 wholesale.

More info http://www.amsoil.com/StoreFront/injen.aspx?zo=1181889 .

cgaengineer
11-30-2010, 01:11 PM
If I could find a supercharger for my Ford F-150 V-6 I would do it. I have been temped to have a friend that owns a speed shop put a turbo on it. He said the biggest issue would be finding a intake because the factory one is plastic.

The next thing would be programming the computer to allow it...my Yota has a piggy back computer.
Posted via Mobile Device

gasracer
11-30-2010, 04:51 PM
The next thing would be programming the computer to allow it...my Yota has a piggy back computer.
Posted via Mobile Device
Yea.I have to buy a superchips programmer so I can reset the speedo from the rear end gear change.Ford tried to do with there's and couldn't.

Knight511
11-30-2010, 08:57 PM
It doesn't replace displacement and raw naturally aspirated power....I mentioned superchargers...in fact I have one on my truck, but it doesn't turn a 4cyl into a V8.
Posted via Mobile Device

That would be dead wrong. Larger displacement has more power/torque because it can ingest more air thus having the ability to burn more gas. Forced induction forces more air into a cylinder thus allowing more gas to burn effectively... so yes, forced induction does replace displacement and thus the reason why Ford's top-of-the line engine is a turbocharged V6 instead of a bigger V8. ;) Some day the "old timers" that still chant the worn out cliche' "no replacement for displacement" will either die off or see the light. ;)

Ford 5.0L NA engine: 360HP/380ft/lb
Ford 3.5L Eco boost: 365HP/420ft/lb
Ford 6.2L NA engine: 411HP/434ft/lb

And also note that the V6 EB is rated to tow more than either V8 ;)

BlackBirdWS.6
11-30-2010, 10:54 PM

I don't believe that the eco-boost will take off, I don't believe that a v6 will be able to tow more weight than a v8, I can't see that happening and buying the eco-boost is a waste of money in my opinion. For one it has twin turbos so you have to put premium gas in which is expensive by at least .20 more, and you can't just park a turbo vehicle after doing long pulls or having it run for a good amount of time because you'll burn up the turbos, you have to park the vehicle and let it idle for at least 2 min. and let oil flow threw the turbo and cool off or put a turbo timer in so you don't have to sit in your truck and burn more premium gas while it cools down and it only gets 16 city, well my 6.0 2500HD's get 14 city and between 10-14 towing, (depending on what I'm towing and if their is anything in the bed) so for 2 less mpg I would just stick with the v8. I wouldn't mind seeing GM throw a little turbo on the 6.0s though, but that would probably never happen. But that's just my .02

Knight511
11-30-2010, 11:27 PM
I don't believe that the eco-boost will take off, I don't believe that a v6 will be able to tow more weight than a v8, I can't see that happening and buying the eco-boost is a waste of money in my opinion. For one it has twin turbos so you have to put premium gas in which is expensive by at least .20 more, and you can't just park a turbo vehicle after doing long pulls or having it run for a good amount of time because you'll burn up the turbos, you have to park the vehicle and let it idle for at least 2 min. and let oil flow threw the turbo and cool off or put a turbo timer in so you don't have to sit in your truck and burn more premium gas while it cools down and it only gets 16 city, well my 6.0 2500HD's get 14 city and between 10-14 towing, (depending on what I'm towing and if their is anything in the bed) so for 2 less mpg I would just stick with the v8. I wouldn't mind seeing GM throw a little turbo on the 6.0s though, but that would probably never happen. But that's just my .02

More impressively, the SHO needs premium fuel to achieve its numbers, while the F-150 EcoBoost will run on regular fuel all day and still hit its numbers.

So umm.... it is estimated to get 15% better mileage than yours with no premium fuel... ;) The assumptions you have about turbocharged vehicles is also based off of ancient info... time will tell with the Ecoboost, but I don't foresee Ford installing turbos that will fail and cost them money under warranty. from what I have read, the turbos are designed for 150000 miles before service... ;)

As we reported earlier today, the 3.5 EcoBoost mill is rated at 365 horsepower (at 5,000 rpm) and 420 pounds-feet of torque (at 2,500 rpm) on regular unleaded gasoline.

Ford reps say they are still certifying the engine's performance on premium unleaded and wouldn't comment on expected power figures burning higher-octane fuel.

So just wait until real info comes out before you brag about how great your old truck is and how bad the Ecoboost will be... tide's coming in for you old timers...

BlackBirdWS.6
11-30-2010, 11:41 PM
So umm.... it is estimated to get 15% better mileage than yours with no premium fuel... ;) The assumptions you have about turbocharged vehicles is also based off of ancient info... time will tell with the Ecoboost, but I don't foresee Ford installing turbos that will fail and cost them money under warranty.

So just wait until real info comes out before you brag about how great your old truck is and how bad the Ecoboost will be... tide's coming in for you old timers...

okay well lets start here, one is an 05 and the other is an 09...so they are not old, and if you have ever had or driven a turbo vehicle and put regular gas in the tank its bad for the turbo and the exhaust will smoke like a chimney i know people that have done that on turbo cars that say you can put low octane fuel in but it isn't recommended, and I am pretty well read in the automotive category, and my assumption is not based on ancient info it is on current information, and do you ever see a company that foresees problems with a vehicle, that's why they have recalls, and if something fails due to improper maintenance, i don't think the auto manufacturer could foresee that either...

cgaengineer
12-01-2010, 12:30 AM
That would be dead wrong. Larger displacement has more power/torque because it can ingest more air thus having the ability to burn more gas. Forced induction forces more air into a cylinder thus allowing more gas to burn effectively... so yes, forced induction does replace displacement and thus the reason why Ford's top-of-the line engine is a turbocharged V6 instead of a bigger V8. ;) Some day the "old timers" that still chant the worn out cliche' "no replacement for displacement" will either die off or see the light. ;)

Don't get me wrong, a super charger and a turbo is good...but comparing a smaller supercharged engine to a V8 is not even a comparison...I have have and had both. Yes a turbo and sc cram more air into an engine...both at the expense of excess heat production, hence the reason for intercooler and after coolers and the required premium fuel to prevent detonation...not to mention the extra strain on the engine parts...especially the botton end.
Posted via Mobile Device

BlackBirdWS.6
12-01-2010, 12:39 AM
Don't get me wrong, a super charger and a turbo is good...but comparing a smaller supercharged engine to a V8 is not even a comparison...
Posted via Mobile Device

Thank You! :clapping:

cgaengineer
12-01-2010, 12:46 AM
Thank You! :clapping:

My Tacoma 2.7l is supercharged...altough it has plenty of power its nothing like my 3.4l Tacoma....
Posted via Mobile Device

Knight511
12-01-2010, 10:03 AM
okay well lets start here, one is an 05 and the other is an 09...so they are not old,

accepted, but the engines in them are getting up there in age for technology. It is now 11 years old and definitely behind the times when compared to any other mfg's truck V8 offerings.

and if you have ever had or driven a turbo vehicle and put regular gas in the tank its bad for the turbo and the exhaust will smoke like a chimney i know people that have done that on turbo cars that say you can put low octane fuel in but it isn't recommended,

That would be because THOSE cars are not TUNED to run on regular unleaded. Cars like Mtisubishis Evos, Subaru STis and Mazdaspeed 3s are set up to be run on premium (91 octane or higher) where as the F-150 Ecoboost is set up and tuned to run on regular unleaded.

and I am pretty well read in the automotive category, and my assumption is not based on ancient info it is on current information,

You assumption is based on data extrapolated and forced on the F-150 Ecoboost engine. Those assumptions are wrong in this case.

and do you ever see a company that foresees problems with a vehicle, that's why they have recalls, and if something fails due to improper maintenance, i don't think the auto manufacturer could foresee that either...

And this is why Ford is bending over backwards to prove their engine's worth. So many old timers will be stuck in their ways and will not be able to accept that the turbo V6 is better than the V8 of yesteryear. In a world where the biggest pulling engines are 6 cylinders with turbos, it is beyond me why "regular" folks can't accept that there is nothing wrong with using a 6 instead of an 8. The sad thing is, this is where trucks (and sports cars) are headed because of C.A.F.E. standards. I can't imagine the increase in heart attack rate when GM announces the Corvette will have a V6-TT put under its hood... 600HP and yet being able to pull 30+mpg.

The auto industry is changing and there is simply too much resistance to the forward progress. Ford is risking a lot by taking this step, but once it is shown to be successful, the others will follow. Chevy laid it on the table with their new V6 in the Camaro... 300+HP out of a V6?!? What is hard to swallow is that is it only 0.5 seconds slower to 60 than the 2000 Camaro Z28. After GM put it out, Ford had to update the Mustang V6 (which gave us the new base engine for their trucks which is a god send over the old base V8 POS)... and this next year Chrysler will follow suit by introducing their Pentastar V6 in the Chargers, Challengers and soon-to-be Rams. The writing is on the wall... V8s are going to be reserved for very few vehicles in the future because they are just too thirsty.

Edit: Why is C.A.F.E censored? Is it that dirty of a word to you people? :laugh:

Knight511
12-01-2010, 10:09 AM
My Tacoma 2.7l is supercharged...altough it has plenty of power its nothing like my 3.4l Tacoma....
Posted via Mobile Device

Because I am sure that 190HP engine is just wicked. You ignore that I am talking about moving forward in technology, not backwards. I am sure your 3.7L is rubbish when compared to the current 4.0L which supports my argument about advancing technology in vehicles. ;)

And the winky smilie is just weird on this forum... :laugh:

cgaengineer
12-01-2010, 10:12 AM
Because I am sure that 190HP engine is just wicked. You ignore that I am talking about moving forward in technology, not backwards. I am sure your 3.7L is rubbish when compared to the current 4.0L which supports my argument about advancing technology in vehicles. ;)

And the winky smilie is just weird on this forum... :laugh:

My supercharged 2.7 gets about 12-14 mpg, my 3.4 gets 16-17.

You would have to drive the 2 vehicles to understand what I'm talking about...until you do you are uneducated...HP for HP the supercharged 2.7 is actually more HP than the 3.4, but the torque difference over a larger engine is something you can tell when pulling a trailer.
Posted via Mobile Device

Knight511
12-01-2010, 10:22 AM
Don't get me wrong, a super charger and a turbo is good...but comparing a smaller supercharged engine to a V8 is not even a comparison...I have have and had both.

So the old Ford NA 7.3L produced in 1994 (185HP;360ft/lb) diesel is better than the current diesel (350HP;682ft/lb) because it was larger and didn't have turbos? Hell... the current VW Golf TDI almost makes as much power as the old NA diesels... and no one is trying to pull trailers with those!

I think you guys are missing the point... this is called progress... it is a great thing. Granted nobody really likes change, but that is what this is. There is a paradigm shift in the auto industry going on and it is high time it happens. Manufacturers are making real use of current technologies instead of wallowing in cliches of the past. Not-so oddly enough, it is the US manufacturers that were lagging the farthest behind (certain foreign companies switched to the concept of smaller, more efficient and more power engines force fed a long time ago) are now the ones leading the charge forward. It is unfortunate that narrow minded folks can't even wait until a vehicle is OUT (yup... the Ecoboost still isn't for sale at dealerships) before they start trying to trash talk it.

Give it time guys... I don't think you will be disappointed... and try to be open minded about where things are going, this is the path we are on and this is where it is going. Me personally, I get 25mpg in my daily driver... I have dreaded the idea of having a truck for a daily because 14mpg is just stupid. These new Fords are looking to get the mpg of some cars... I think that is awesome... 20+ on the highway unloaded and yet still be able to tow an ass load when you need it? Why are you all so resistant to it?

Knight511
12-01-2010, 10:28 AM
but the torque difference over a larger engine is something you can tell when pulling a trailer.
Posted via Mobile Device

I am glad you understand that because the Ecoboost (420ft/lb) makes its peak torque at 2500rpm (and maintains 90% of peak from 1700 to 5000) where as the 5.0 (380ft/lb) and 6.2 (434ft/lb) make their peak at 4250rpm and 4500rpm respectively. This is the reason why the diesels are all turbocharged now too.

Why are you so resistant to a turbo V6? 2 out of 3 of the heavy duty engines are 6 cylinders yet nobody complains about those? Why do you guys shut down when you see the V6? I like how you tell me I am uneducated because I haven't driven two vehicles, yet you are slamming a vehicle you haven't driven to compare either ;)

As for driving a turbo/non-turbo vehicle.... yeah I have done it... it is night and day when the playing field is level. Turbo 2.5L vs non-turbo... I may not have hauled anything more than ass, with it.. but give me the turbo any day. ;)

cgaengineer
12-01-2010, 10:31 AM
I have no gripes with a V6...but if I'm going to be pulling a trailer or a load its going to have an engine with mucho displacement...I'm not messing around with an overstressed V6.
Posted via Mobile Device

cgaengineer
12-01-2010, 10:33 AM
My last car with a Turbo had 18 pounds boost...though fun to drive it was too radical in the cold and even worse if it was raining....it would come on the turbo so hard when it was cold it would smoke the front tires.
Posted via Mobile Device

pitrack
12-02-2010, 12:32 AM
On my old gas truck I just made my own out of pvc and a K&N filter on the end. Pretty cheap.

pitrack
12-02-2010, 12:34 AM

I'm telling you...

A cold air intake that helps with mileage and power is "ricer crack"? GTFO:rolleyes:

bradseabridge
12-02-2010, 04:33 PM
still, dollar for dollar a store bought intake is the most expensive peice of aftermarket trickery for the horse power and gas mileage gains.

If any of you have an f-150 and want to get 2mpg better and more low end power, I have an intake mod that cost me 12$ and took 5 mins to install. PM me and I'll send you the link. It's been dyno tested to work better and have colder intake air temperatures than the K&N crap.

I did it and got an extra 75 miles out of my tank... that's pretty good for 12$, yes driving habits stayed the same and everything else. I ran a tank without it, then did the mod and filled up. Seriously it's simple and I wont take the credit for it you can pm me and I'll send you the link or you can google f-150 gott's intake mod.

also the mod shows using pvc, don't use that use thin walled sewer pipe, there is no grinding with that it just fits right in, seriously it takes like 5 minutes.

cgaengineer
12-02-2010, 06:47 PM
No dude, you'll gain 25 hp installing a shiny aluminum tube that says K&N on it....
Posted via Mobile Device

bradseabridge
12-02-2010, 06:53 PM
WHAT? so you're saying I need to take my peice of sewer pipe and rubber coupler off that cost me 12$ and spend $400 to get less performance and a screwed MAF?! I'm ordering right now.

cgaengineer
12-02-2010, 06:58 PM
WHAT? so you're saying I need to take my peice of sewer pipe and rubber coupler off that cost me 12$ and spend $400 to get less performance and a screwed MAF?! I'm ordering right now.

Yes! And be sure to over oil your filter so the oil coats the heated wire MAF sensor and causes your engine to run better.
Posted via Mobile Device

Knight511
12-02-2010, 11:31 PM
Dude... anyone that is truly hardcore knows that vinyl adds more HP than PVC alone... you need to slap a K&N sticker on that pipe and then you will certainly get 15 more HP and 35 more miles per tank!!! :laugh:

I love DIY mods... like I said (I think twice now).... pretty well any filter-on-tube/stick intake is the same... I still like my cold air scoop the best though... but it cost me $25 not $12 :laugh:

bradseabridge
12-02-2010, 11:49 PM
The only reason I did mine was because the inlet on the f-150s is 2 inches right at the fender and the rest of the pipe even at the start of the filter box is 3 inches. I just took that rubber 2 inch piece out and replaced it with a 3 in sewer pipe so that it's consistent. If I couldn't have mounted it at the same place as stock (inside of the fender where it draws cool ambient air instead of hot engine bay air) I wouldn't have done it. Drawing warm air is just as bad as a restricted intake system.

Knight511
12-03-2010, 12:43 AM
5 words for you... ;) :laugh:

Three Inch Bimetal Hole Saw