PDA

View Full Version : need a spray rig

crab
11-10-2010, 06:33 PM
Hi guys i am new here but not to lawn site.i am looking to buy a removable tank unit for one of my trucks,most of my properties are 30000 sf or less but my access is limited (i would probably need 250 to 300 feat of hose to get to them)can anyone give me some advice into dealers or manufactures i should be looking at,i live in MA.i would like to know how many gallons would cover how many square feet?i would like to put this rig in a 2500 size truck but i have bigger trucks any advice would be great,and yes we are licensed!

JD2320
11-10-2010, 07:01 PM
If I can make a suggestion, you may want to go with a granular fertilizer program and low volume liquid weed control program, applied all at once with a ride on spreader sprayer.

Otherwise you're going to need a 700-1000 gallon tank as it's going to take anywhere from 2-4 gallons per thousand sq ft to spray lawns that size. That's 60-90 gallons per 30,000 sq ft lawn.

Unless you only have to do 1 or 2 lawns a day than a 200 gallon sprayer would be fine.

RigglePLC
11-10-2010, 08:55 PM
JD is right, but I am not clear---are you planning to mix fertilizer and herbicide for your applications? If so, you probably need a bigger sprayer and a bigger tank. If, however...you plan to apply your fertilizer as a dry product with a spreader, and ...apply your herbicide with a sprayer, then a 200 gallon sprayer is fine. A Lesco gun using low pressure (and yellow nozzle) should apply about 1 to 2 gallons per thousand sqft. The Cub Cadette space saver would work. Or a Gregson-Clark,
http://gregsonclark.com/
But a skid-mounted type would be easier to remove when not needed. If you don't have a lift truck, you need to build a boat winch and a picnic table to slide it off the truck bed. Remember 200 gallons of water weighs 1660 pounds.

Tell us what you get and why. And how you like it after a few months.

ted putnam
11-10-2010, 09:05 PM
Hi guys i am new here but not to lawn site.i am looking to buy a removable tank unit for one of my trucks,most of my properties are 30000 sf or less but my access is limited (i would probably need 250 to 300 feat of hose to get to them)can anyone give me some advice into dealers or manufactures i should be looking at,i live in MA.i would like to know how many gallons would cover how many square feet?i would like to put this rig in a 2500 size truck but i have bigger trucks any advice would be great,and yes we are licensed!

I bought a 300 gal spacesaver from Westheffer in Lawrence, KS. I spray 2 gal/1000 so I can spray about 150k. 400ft of 3/8 inch hose will fit on a 1500 series Hannay reel. The rig cam with a Honda GX160 motor and a Udor RO-70 20gpm pump. It has agitation like nobody's business and I still lhave room for 10 or so bags of fert in the back of my Chevy 2500. Cost was around $3800 best I can remember. Gregson Clarke is a sponsor here and would be another good choice. Good Luck

LB1234
11-10-2010, 09:13 PM
I bought a 300 gal spacesaver from Westheffer in Lawrence, KS. I spray 2 gal/1000 so I can spray about 150k. 400ft of 3/8 inch hose will fit on a 1500 series Hannay reel. The rig cam with a Honda GX160 motor and a Udor RO-70 20gpm pump. It has agitation like nobody's business and I still lhave room for 10 or so bags of fert in the back of my Chevy 2500. Cost was around $3800 best I can remember. Gregson Clarke is a sponsor here and would be another good choice. Good Luck

Curious...how close are you to exceeding your payload capacity? I know my 2500 capacity is just shy of 2 ton...believe its 39 and change.

ted putnam
11-10-2010, 10:26 PM
Curious...how close are you to exceeding your payload capacity? I know my 2500 capacity is just shy of 2 ton...believe its 39 and change.

pretty close. The tank sits in the bed with no frame(not necessary). The reel,motor and pump are all one unit that probably weighs 300# max. The azz is hanging when fully loaded. I generally don't carry dry material and a full tank at the same time. It's just not necessary. I plan on having blocks installed soon underneath the rear springs to help with the "sag" factor. Sorry if the terminology on the work I am going to have done is not correct. I never claimed to be a mechanic. However, I have a friend who is and is going to do the work for me. Says, it's simple and will make a big difference. It does fine and of course, the truckload is getting lighter throughout the day.

crab
11-10-2010, 11:18 PM
wow thanks i wasn't clear enough,my fert will be gran ,i just really want to do our crab grass control in the tank .i would like the option to do liquid fert but i really am just exploring my options and want to hear whats worked for you guys as a start up professional unit,its a Ad on service to my business. thanks for you're great replies .i should have said i can also put it in the 3500 dump or the full size dump.ted thanks and also thanks JD and riggle.do these units have enough pressure to do trees also?

ted putnam
11-10-2010, 11:39 PM
wow thanks i wasn't clear enough,my fert will be gran ,i just really want to do our crab grass control in the tank .i would like the option to do liquid fert but i really am just exploring my options and want to hear whats worked for you guys as a start up professional unit,its a Ad on service to my business. thanks for you're great replies .i should have said i can also put it in the 3500 dump or the full size dump.ted thanks and also thanks JD and riggle.do these units have enough pressure to do trees also?

Mine probably does and by the way, that's pretty much all I do with mine is apply my pre-emerg in the spring and Fall. The rest of the time it serves as a nurse tank for my ride-on(s) doing dry apps. You really don't want to use the same system for lawns and Tree/Shrub. Too much risk of cross contamination. You really need a rig that's dedicated to T/S. In my opinion a piston pump is a much better choice for a T/S unit than most diaphram pumps. This is just my opinion.

tiggare10
11-19-2010, 09:21 AM
I get 1gal/1000 and get great results using 3 way. I have a 200 gal lesco sprayer with 300ft of hose. You can adjust your rate accordingly.