PDA

View Full Version : Box truck for lawn service?

PLS-Tx
11-10-2010, 10:09 PM
I'm thinking about selling the enclosed trailer and getting a box truck this winter.

Would like to here from some guys that are using one or anyone that knows anything about them.

I'm thinking 16" with dovetail ramp, we run 2 60" ztr's and the normal hand tools.

Has anyone had a local shop build a ramp?

sdk1959
11-11-2010, 01:01 AM
I'm thinking about selling the enclosed trailer and getting a box truck this winter.

Would like to here from some guys that are using one or anyone that knows anything about them.

I'm thinking 16" with dovetail ramp, we run 2 60" ztr's and the normal hand tools.

Has anyone had a local shop build a ramp?

Here's a link to a whole recent thread on it. Should find all your questions answered there.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=331331

Fresh_Cut
11-11-2010, 01:42 AM
Didn't you already make a thread on this?

Anyway, I think you already have my input..... go for it!

PLS-Tx
11-11-2010, 01:45 AM
Didn't you already make a thread on this?

Anyway, I think you already have my input..... go for it!

Yes I did in the truck and trailer section. I thought if I post it here also I would here from some guys that may not see the other one.

I'm not asking should I or should I not, I'm just wanting to learn as much as possible before I make the purchase.

Fresh_Cut
11-11-2010, 02:06 AM
I would say get on craigslist and look for some trucks in your area. A dealer is always gonna be more expensive.

I bought my box truck for $4700. Granted, it's a '98, but hey.... good deal.

find out EXACTLY what you want, ie. length of box, gas or diesel, cab-over or not, 4' dovetail or dovetail built into floor of truck, and start searching for those features.

I didn't know exactly what I wanted when I was looking, and now I'm selling mine so I can get one with a diesel & dovetail.

djchiodo3
11-11-2010, 05:57 PM
Depends on how much debris you collect through out the week. Unless you are going to have a super lawn truck designed with a dump box behind the cab I would not go with a box truck. I fill my truck bed with 5ft sides every other day to every three days and then have to empty at the dump. Tree work will fill it in a matter of hours too. Think hard on this one before making a decision.

PLS-Tx
11-11-2010, 10:42 PM
Depends on how much debris you collect through out the week. Unless you are going to have a super lawn truck designed with a dump box behind the cab I would not go with a box truck. I fill my truck bed with 5ft sides every other day to every three days and then have to empty at the dump. Tree work will fill it in a matter of hours too. Think hard on this one before making a decision.

We pick up very little on the mowing route, we bag nothing.

We do have a 16' trailer with 4' sides that we use for debris when we need it, tree and shrub trimming ect.

sdk1959
11-14-2010, 11:09 PM
Here's a link to a thread showing a box truck with a dovetail ramp. Nice set-up.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=43473

PLS-Tx
11-14-2010, 11:19 PM
Here's a link to a thread showing a box truck with a dovetail ramp. Nice set-up.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=43473

That is a nice rig. Wow, you had to go way back to find that thread.

milkie62
11-14-2010, 11:37 PM
Just remember the Ferris IS3000z Has a real crappy approach angle.I use a lo-profile dump trailer which is not much higher than a std open landscape trailer and I have to use 2' extensions on my 5' ramps to keep from scraping the bottom of the rear of the mower.