PDA

View Full Version : If I buy Quick books pro do I have to keep buying a new version every year?

soloscaperman
11-11-2010, 12:37 AM
I really don't want to spend $200 every year for a new version. I really don't know that much when it comes to upgrading this kind of software. I like pro since you can track your expenses easier.

Roger
11-11-2010, 06:44 AM
No, you don't have to buy an upgrade every year. lUpdates are downloaded on a regular basis, and you install them on your computer. Perhaps you will want to buy a new copy every three years to have a new foundation. I have 2009 Pro, and started with R5. The newest one is R12(?). All updates between have been downloaded, and I choose when to update. It is very easy.

Your initial cost should be nearly half of what you cited.

cgaengineer
11-11-2010, 07:02 AM
They want you to. They do disable some features if you don't upgrade, mainly the emailing of invoices and tax tables.
Posted via Mobile Device

Scagmower48
11-11-2010, 08:28 AM
For a small guy like you and me, making your own stuff on paper is a while lot easier and cheaper.

Roger
11-11-2010, 06:29 PM
...making your own stuff on paper ....

And, "stuff" would be...?

Scagmower48
11-11-2010, 06:50 PM
I guess I should have been more exact:

I make my own invoices on MS Word, and then I write in the dates I mowed the lawn and other services I did.

I also have a ledger that keeps track of my earnings for year end, and quarterly sales tax.

The way I do things hardly costs me any money, and it is quick and easy.

Roger
11-11-2010, 08:32 PM
Scagmower48, you mention nothing about expenses.

No matter how small you are, keeping your financial house in order is key to success. How do you expect to be a viable business working out of "shoebox," so to speak? What reports do you provide your accountant for tax preparation?

I know some people have posted here about wanting a program to make invoices. I always ask the question: How are you managing your financial matters? Why would anybody want to enter information into an invoice-only program, only to enter them again into a program to manage finances.

$125 for a program like QuickBooks is trivial for a small business.

JB1
11-11-2010, 09:30 PM
look at quickbooks how ever you want but I view it as the most important tool I own.

soloscaperman
11-12-2010, 12:58 AM
Time savings, safety, and organizing is very important for every business when it comes to money and data. I have the lower version and love it. I backup it daily just to be safe and the invoices are simple, professional and quick. I guess I will buy the 2011 Quick books pro unless it's not worth it and buy the older version for cheaper.

zturncutter
11-12-2010, 01:07 AM
I am using Quickbooks pro 2009 now and love it but am thinking about trying quickbooks online so I can access my records in the field. Has any one been using the online version ?

AI Inc
11-12-2010, 08:00 AM
I have been using QB for about 12 yrs and I upgrade every other yr.

DanaMac
11-12-2010, 08:36 AM
I have been using QB for about 12 yrs and I upgrade every other yr.

Same here, been using since '95 and I upgrade every 2-3 years. If you use their payroll feature for employees, QB has to be upgraded every 3-4 years I believe. I can't imagine running my business without QB. Enter all invoices, sales receipts, expenses, and send a copy to my accountant in the fall.

lawnmower man1
11-21-2010, 08:35 AM
If you call Intuit ask them about online backup they have a deal going on right now that comes with 100GB of online backup for everything on you computer including QB data but, the main thing is when they come out with the new QB for the new year you get it also as long as you continue to pay the $29.99 per month it is extremely worth it to me you also get all the intuit support included for the same price which I usually end up needing.

cclllc
11-26-2010, 06:57 PM
I'm still running Qb 94.I was running 99 till I lost my disc.I found qb04 on ebay and just transfered the ownership to me.I don't do payroll so I have no reason to upgrade.

cclllc
11-26-2010, 07:20 PM
Scratch that.2004.not 94. Doh!