PDA

View Full Version : Could really use some advice on fall clean ups...

clncut
11-11-2010, 04:26 PM
Currently we do clean ups by visiting the property once when most the leaves are down. I would like to offer up a different method of clean ups such as bagging every other week Oct-Nov or something similiar and Im looking for advice as to what you guys do. Also how do you guys bill for this? Twice the cutting cost? Three times?

Any advice would be great!

Thanks
John

Mowbizz
11-11-2010, 04:56 PM
Currently we do clean ups by visiting the property once when most the leaves are down. I would like to offer up a different method of clean ups such as bagging every other week Oct-Nov or something similiar and Im looking for advice as to what you guys do. Also how do you guys bill for this? Twice the cutting cost? Three times?

Any advice would be great!

Thanks
John

Depends on the amount of leaves on the ground...during October when leaves start falling, if they're just scattered around lightly I don't charge extra. When they become thick enough to fill my bagger quickly, I charge for a double mow.
When the grass starts going dormant, it's a crap shoot as to keep mowing or wait for all leaves to fall and do a final cleanup. Some clients want you to keep mowing weekly or bi-weekly, others say wait for the leaves to finish falling. Either way, the leaves get cleaned up. Most cleanups (for regular clients) range from $200-$300 depending on the size of the property...for one time cleanups for non-clients it's a higher price but also depending on the amount of leaves and estimated hours to complete. I have charged $1200 on a larger property (2 acre) where the leaves needed to be taken away. I work solo by the way. Basically, you need to know your costs to operate and quote accordingly...

lawndart
11-11-2010, 10:51 PM
I figured out now long it takes me to fill a bag, and I charge my mow rate and per bag rate, and just keep try of how many bags at each visit. Has worked well for me and my customers for years. I get paid and their leaves get cleaned all of fall until the end of the year.

CTmower
11-12-2010, 12:38 PM
Usually during October I start billing my customers for regular mowing + a leaf pickup/disposal fee. Most houses its a extra 20-25 per visit. The way I look at it is once I put the bagger on its taking me longer and I have to do something with all the clippings/leaves. Always gotta remember time is money and no one should work for free. If customers have a problem with what you charge them either tell them to find someone else to do the job or hand them a rake and tell them to have at it!!! It amazes me how many people hate doing leaves but they all love to ***** and moan once you give them a price!

clncut
11-12-2010, 05:20 PM
Thanks for the advice. For those who double the per cut price, do you find its hard to sell that?

Mowbizz
11-13-2010, 11:15 AM
Thanks for the advice. For those who double the per cut price, do you find its hard to sell that?

Not if you are literally, spending twice the time there...no one has argued yet!