PDA

View Full Version : Drought, how much has it hampered your business?

grassguy_
08-20-2002, 10:23 PM
We have been really slowed down the past 3 weeks even though the drought here has been on since about the second week of June. More less trying to sell additioanl services for the fall, to compensate for some skipped apps. What's your situation?

EJK2352
08-21-2002, 12:41 AM
Same here grassguy. I have picked up alot of extra work to compensate for lost mowing and app's, but I'm running out of the extra work. Hopefully the heavens will open soon and I can get back to mowing and app's. We had about an inch and a half's worth of rain the last couple of days, and things are greening up a little. We could use a bunch more!!!:( :( :( ED

HBFOXJr
08-21-2002, 09:41 AM
Its really gonna wack us now that NJ has made a total ban on lawn watering. Gonna hurt sprinkler sales as well as aeration and seeding. OUCH! Can we get federal disaster grants like other people? ;)

dforbes
08-22-2002, 04:31 PM
well I guess we are lucky, although sales in mowing and other landscape jobs are down we've been able to fill in with other work. I have a large duplex complex owned by two realtors. 110 units. When things slowed down I made a call to them and asked if they had any extra work. Since both of them also own several other rentals, they been sending little jobs are way. Granted there not high profit jobs, but I have been able to keep my guys on close to 40 hrs per week. if it wern't for this I would have had to lay some off and I hate to do that this time of year. September and October are two of are best months and hate to try and train new people. Im lucky to have two formen that know a little about everything. We've redone concrete patios, built steps and small decks cleaned gutters power washed decks and treated them. Seems to be a lot of work out there. If we have a mild winter i'm thinking about adding some services.

Dennis

grassguy_
08-22-2002, 10:30 PM
Ed, its hitting us here tonight, at least a good start. I,m sure if we get it here you'll be seeing it soon, over there in the home of the quakers! LOL

ant
08-24-2002, 06:44 AM
i am done till turf turns.come on september.ant

parkmaster
08-25-2002, 02:17 PM
since july 1 i've mow my customers three times to date:confused:
no $$$$ just may make my expenses.
glad i have full time job

Quail Creek LC
08-25-2002, 05:25 PM
What drought. I've been real fortunate all year, everythings been green here all summer long except for 1 week at the begining of july. 70% of my customers have sprinkler systems so I'm always guaranteed income. I've actually got some customers who have wet spots that I cant even get my mower through.