PDA

View Full Version : Fall cleanup questions

Jordanfan20
11-14-2010, 12:57 AM
I have a few questions about fall cleanup.

At some houses there are ivy,bushes or ground cover that leaves get stuck in. Even If I run my backpack blower over theses areas the leaves don't move. I can get some of the ones on the top out but the ones that are deep don't budge at all. When you do Fall cleanups do you get the leaves out of these places? If so how?

I was doing a huge yard today and it was so large that by the time I was finished with one side a fair amount of leaves had fallen and blown back into the grass. Do you guys typically clear these up?

topsites
11-14-2010, 02:46 AM
Those pesky leaves are the reason why I believe in having one of the most
powerful backpack blowers, it's still a bit time consuming but it gets them out.
Take your pick, br-600, ebz8001, etc.

When that doesn't work, a hand held blower works wonders in those aggravating tight spots as well.

I'll try and see if I can take a video soon, I've got a hat cam.

Jordanfan20
11-14-2010, 09:48 AM
I'm going to keep my eye out for one of those.

So does the customer expect me to pick those up? I mean it's impossible with the equipment I have and raking them out wouldn't work either. This person has about .300 acre of ground cover

Darryl G
11-14-2010, 10:01 AM
I just use my backpack blower in most cases. I run Shindaiwa eb630s which are pretty powerful. In general, I don't worry about getting every last leaf out of ground cover. Getting 90% is pretty easy. It's the last 10% that's hard. A handheld shredder vac is a good choice for those cases you need to get extra special with getting leaves out of ground cover.

ALC-GregH
11-14-2010, 10:05 AM
I tell each and every customer I do clean ups on that I can't get all the leaves. I'll do my best but don't expect every leaf gone. If they get stupid and say they want them ALL cleaned up then I simply tell them to look elsewhere. If you try to get them all, you'd need to live there for a few months. Plus leaves blow in from other properties or wooded areas. Can't stop that so don't expect them all to be gone. Even the ones that fall while there doing it I leave for the next visit otherwise you might as well move in. It drives me crazy every time I see leaves dropping while there. I'm learning to ignore it. LOL

gebby
11-14-2010, 10:08 AM
We all know that you can not get every leaf in ground cover like that. As mentioned above you may get 90% of them. Just be sure to tell your customer up front what to expect in that area. If they expect more, charge accordingly. When they see you out there picking every leaf out by hand and placing in a bag at X they will realize too there is a point that it is just not worth it as well.

Bumpmaster
11-14-2010, 10:19 AM
Their was a thread on hear that showed a video of a homeowner using a shop vac to clean up leaves. This might be a good idea for those pescy leaves that get got in the ground cover. Just show up with a generator and a reasonable size extension cord. :laugh:

ALC-GregH
11-14-2010, 10:36 AM
I also will add that most customers with large quantities of trees usually won't expect them all to be cleaned up.

MOturkey
11-14-2010, 12:26 PM
I don't offer fall cleanups, and after reading all these threads, I'm glad I don't. I will mulch leaves as best as I can with my mower, but that's it. I talked to a guy that does yesterday, and he said he got roped into it because his first mower had a bagger, so now his customers expect him to do it. He does them all twice, but only charges the price of a regular mowing each time, and admitted that was not nearly enough.

RHill
11-14-2010, 01:12 PM
I don't offer fall cleanups, and after reading all these threads, I'm glad I don't. I will mulch leaves as best as I can with my mower, but that's it. I talked to a guy that does yesterday, and he said he got roped into it because his first mower had a bagger, so now his customers expect him to do it. He does them all twice, but only charges the price of a regular mowing each time, and admitted that was not nearly enough.

I agree, I don't "pick up" leaves. I will mulch them for the customer by simply going over the yard twice with my mower. After you are done you will reduce the leaves by 95 percent or more and the leaf mulch makes good fertilizer.

supercuts
11-14-2010, 01:25 PM
I tell each and every customer I do clean ups on that I can't get all the leaves. I'll do my best but don't expect every leaf gone. If they get stupid and say they want them ALL cleaned up then I simply tell them to look elsewhere. If you try to get them all, you'd need to live there for a few months. Plus leaves blow in from other properties or wooded areas. Can't stop that so don't expect them all to be gone. Even the ones that fall while there doing it I leave for the next visit otherwise you might as well move in. It drives me crazy every time I see leaves dropping while there. I'm learning to ignore it. LOL

this and gebby are the only two reasonable responces in this thread. he wasnt asking if you guys mulch leaves, he was asking how to get them out of ground cover. i agree with this post. although there are a very few who expect every single leaf picked up, most are happy that there lawn is free of the majority of leaves and that their lawn looks good. i think most people understand and expect to see a few leaves kicking around. whoever said use a shop vac and a generator....... really? is that really your advice for this guy? by the way your describling your effort, im sure the customers will be happy with your work. in the future simply tell them you make a reasonable effort to the as many as possible, but your also not going to spend 2 days at their house.

Bumpmaster
11-14-2010, 03:19 PM
this and gebby are the only two reasonable responces in this thread. he wasnt asking if you guys mulch leaves, he was asking how to get them out of ground cover. i agree with this post. although there are a very few who expect every single leaf picked up, most are happy that there lawn is free of the majority of leaves and that their lawn looks good. i think most people understand and expect to see a few leaves kicking around. whoever said use a shop vac and a generator....... really? is that really your advice for this guy? by the way your describling your effort, im sure the customers will be happy with your work. in the future simply tell them you make a reasonable effort to the as many as possible, but your also not going to spend 2 days at their house.

Yes I think if a customer wants you to do quality work one of the best ways for my "company?" Sol proprietor would be to buy a generator and plug in my shop vac. I believe this method would provide an efficient why to do the neat and tidy work that a customer may request. Or my current method is to let mother nature take care of these kind of issues.

abraham
11-16-2010, 12:34 AM
do the best you can with your equipment. if you cant get them you cant get them its not your fault.

Darryl G
11-16-2010, 02:07 AM
Generator and shop vac, lol. Really, they make shredder vacs. I have the Echo ES-2400. It's a handheld blower that converts into a bagging vac. I have some complaints about the machine and I don't use it in vac mode very often, but it is good at getting those stubborn leaves out of ivy, window wells, corners and other tight spaces. Good for cigarette butts on commercial properties too.

bob eshenroder
06-17-2011, 01:59 PM
Generator and shop vac, lol. Really, they make shredder vacs. I have the Echo ES-2400. It's a handheld blower that converts into a bagging vac. I have some complaints about the machine and I don't use it in vac mode very often, but it is good at getting those stubborn leaves out of ivy, window wells, corners and other tight spaces. Good for cigarette butts on commercial properties too.

I think the best shredder/leaf blower vac is the Toro 235. I love using that thing. It picks everything up, and you can't be the price tag - $70. I only experienced a little trouble with it after about three years of use. The motor went out on me. But still after sucking up plenty of leaves over the course of three years, I suppose that's bound to happen. I used it every weekend on my yard. Also, with any eletric leaf blower/vac you buy, be sure to get a good extension cord reel (http://extensioncordreelreviews.com) along with it. A good cord reel will save you time in winding the cable.