PDA

View Full Version : Ford F150, Dodge Ram, or GMC Sierra

joed
11-14-2010, 07:25 PM
I'm looking to get one these 1/2 tons in a 4X4, ext. cab version. It will be used for both personal use and for my small lawncare business on the weekend. I'm familiar with GMC trucks as I own an old one now and have been around GM trucks my whole life. Don't have any experience with the F150 or Ddoge Ram. Trucks I'm looking at would be:

2010 GMC Sierra

5.3L engine
6 speed auto.

2010 Ford F150

4.6L engine
6 speed auto

2010 Dodge Ram

5.7L Hemi
5 speed auto

With discounts, Ford and Dodge are pretty closely priced. About $28K for each. GM is more exp. $32 for 5.3 model.

Anyhow, any feedback on the Dodge Ram and Ford F150 would be helpful. The one thing I don't like about the Ford is the height. It's way too tall. I like the GM style and height but it seems like an outdated truck. Haven't had a chance to test drive the Dodge yet.
Thanks in advance.

BrandonV
11-14-2010, 07:43 PM
did notice that the f150 won work truck of the year, but they were comparing the "work" models aka roll up windows etc

PLS-Tx
11-14-2010, 10:27 PM
I really like the look of the new F-150's, that would be my choice. :)

doubleedge
11-14-2010, 11:45 PM
The Dodge has the nicest engine out of the three and is the most comfortable with rear suspension coil springs instead of leafs, so I would choose that one.

PLS-Tx
11-15-2010, 12:35 PM
The fact of the matter is they are all good trucks, it's which one YOU like the best. Enjoy your new truck, I'm jealous. :laugh:

delaford321
11-19-2010, 03:07 PM
I vote Ford. I just don't have very good luck with Dodges, and the GM is obviously pricier.

PROPERTYLAWNSERVICELLC
11-19-2010, 05:37 PM
Dodge ram 1500 or why not a used or stripper 3/4 ton ram is the same price?

STIHL GUY
11-19-2010, 08:16 PM
a lot of it comes down to personal preference...dont let someone else pick out your truck for you pick what you like and what you want to drive

procut
11-21-2010, 11:02 PM
a lot of it comes down to personal preference...dont let someone else pick out your truck for you pick what you like and what you want to drive

That pretty much sums it up. For what it's worth, though, I'd vote GMC, Ford then Dodge.

f50lvr2
11-22-2010, 01:08 AM
I bought an '09 Ram with the 5.7. That engine blows away the other two and the ride is much nicer. I also liked the interior the best. It has done well so far, they're all excellent trucks, so pick the one you like best.

My only advice if you get the dodge is to find one with the 3.92lsd rear end, it really makes the truck a beast and gets better in town mileage than the 3.21 or 3.55 that come standard.

I had an '08 Titan before buying the dodge and to be honest thought it was a better work truck. Not quite the power of the dodge but still runs rings around the Chevy/Ford and was a fun truck to drive (great sound, steering feel and handling) and was a good hauler.

Deori
11-23-2010, 10:17 PM
Why'd you get rid of the Titan? Just curious. I scoffed at them a bit originally, but they've actually got a nice payload to them and you can pick one up loaded for cheap. I'm not a big Nissan fan but they generally hold up fairly well. Dodge has got the power, but I don't trust them to last. I don't need to be bombarded by people telling me they've driven their Dodge for 30 years and only changed the oil twice. Just personally not what I'd go for, though I will say the new body style of Dodge is sexy!

How was your Titan a better work truck if the Dodge had more power? I'd consider a Titan in my future if you wouldn't mind a little more detail?

I bought an '09 Ram with the 5.7. That engine blows away the other two and the ride is much nicer. I also liked the interior the best. It has done well so far, they're all excellent trucks, so pick the one you like best.

My only advice if you get the dodge is to find one with the 3.92lsd rear end, it really makes the truck a beast and gets better in town mileage than the 3.21 or 3.55 that come standard.

I had an '08 Titan before buying the dodge and to be honest thought it was a better work truck. Not quite the power of the dodge but still runs rings around the Chevy/Ford and was a fun truck to drive (great sound, steering feel and handling) and was a good hauler.

jdutcher003
11-23-2010, 11:12 PM
Have you thought about the ford with the 5.4 in it? I cant even tell I am pulling my trailer with that truck. Very comfortable as well

joed
11-24-2010, 07:39 AM

Thanks for the response. I appreciate the input. What's the fuel economy on that Hemi engine?

BaxtersEssentialLawnCare
11-24-2010, 08:56 AM
I'd say can't go wrong wit gm. The ford is underpowered with the 4.6. As for dodge I the motor would be great but i'd still b worried about the tranny they have mostly gotten that fixed but I bought a chevy b/c of the past issues with dodge. Also the 5.7 is going to suck up gas. I would really say with the towing I'd look for either the 6.0 or 6.2 gmc. The 6.2 is the newer on but if you get slighty used you'll find the 6.0. I'd say this b/c u get the 480le tranny the 5.3 u get the 460le its good but not great. Just me personally I got my 1500 with the 5.3 got a good price and I intend to pull it out and put in the 6.0 with the 480. Its is a pretty easy swap b/c everything is stock. I you will have 3/4 ton driveline in a 1/2 so the milage won't be so bad

f50lvr2
11-27-2010, 07:44 PM
Why'd you get rid of the Titan? Just curious. I scoffed at them a bit originally, but they've actually got a nice payload to them and you can pick one up loaded for cheap. I'm not a big Nissan fan but they generally hold up fairly well. Dodge has got the power, but I don't trust them to last. I don't need to be bombarded by people telling me they've driven their Dodge for 30 years and only changed the oil twice. Just personally not what I'd go for, though I will say the new body style of Dodge is sexy!

How was your Titan a better work truck if the Dodge had more power? I'd consider a Titan in my future if you wouldn't mind a little more detail?

I got rid of the Titan when gas went to $4 a gallon and moved to a frontier. Wish I would have kept the Titan now but nobody was expecting gas to go back down at the time. The interior of the Titan is a little outdated now and it looks down on power on paper but the actual driving experience is still very good and a match in most areas compared to the others. When I bought it I had no brand prejudice, I test drove everything, with the Titan being last on the list. After about 5 miles I knew it was the one I wanted.

I really enjoyed the Titan. I think is was a better work truck based on the way it felt towing (probably the solid axle compared to the coil springs). I can't say that is is actually better but it felt more solid and confident when loaded down onto the bump stops and/or pulling heavy. The chassis felt really solid and well set up and it was in general just a more fun truck to drive.

The Dodge is a great pickup, especially in crew cab, for someone with a family as it's very comfortable and has a nice ride and is very quiet. But now that I have the Isuzu dump the dodge is the nicest to live with day to day.

Oh and the mileage with the Dodge: towing is with a utility trailer roughly 3500lbs
Towing in the city: 11.5mpg
Towing Highway: 12.5-14 depending on speed, wind, and load
Empty City: 13.5
Empty Highway: 17-21 very wind dependent. Stay below 75 on a calm day and you will see 18 or 19 consistently.

f50lvr2
11-27-2010, 07:49 PM
I forgot to mention, the Titan was a match on power in real world driving, I can't compare it to the Dodge on towing acceleration but empty up to 70 or so it was within a cat's whisker.

The dodge is on paper much more powerful but the transmission/tuning is inferior. Very smooth but the gaps and shift speed are not as well matched to the engine as they should be. The Titan always seemed to be in the right gear and in the powerband when you needed/wanted it.

PROPERTYLAWNSERVICELLC
11-28-2010, 09:24 AM
Titan trucks are made by Dodge frame axles most of the truck like the new VW mini van

GravelyGuy
11-28-2010, 10:49 AM
If you are sticking with a 1/2 ton and buying newer, a Tundra with the 5.7 V8 is the best 1/2 ton right now as far as towing ability. I had one for 3 years.

doubleedge
11-28-2010, 11:05 AM
If you are sticking with a 1/2 ton and buying newer, a Tundra with the 5.7 V8 is the best 1/2 ton right now as far as towing ability. I had one for 3 years.

What tests have you done that indicate that the Tundra is better than the other trucks? Or are you basing your claim solely on the fact that you have owned the truck for 3 years?

GravelyGuy
11-28-2010, 11:20 AM
What tests have you done that indicate that the Tundra is better than the other trucks? Or are you basing your claim solely on the fact that you have owned the truck for 3 years?

I normally don't post in these threads because the brand loyal BS is just plain stupid to me. I don't claim to have done any tests other than use the truck everyday for work. I no longer have my Toyota because I traded it, but when I got it in 07 I looked hard at the F150 and GM and at that time they were not even close in the areas of power and braking. That is what I based my decision on.

Compare the Tundra brakes, axle, wheel bearings, driveshaft, rear diff, etc. to other half tons tell me what you think.

I was just throwing the idea of Toyota out there so that the OP could consider it if he wanted to. He may not be interested at all so let's not hijack his thread.

Deori
11-28-2010, 05:25 PM
Yeah, sorry to the OP for hijacking the thread a little, but thanks for that concise response. I would definitely look at a Titan for another work truck I think. I would be happy to look at a Tundra too, but they're just so damn expensive. I think Toyotas across the board are overpriced for what they are and since they hold their value so well, picking up a used one is still way more money than a used American brand where I personally don't think they last much longer or have any less problems these days.

I forgot to mention, the Titan was a match on power in real world driving, I can't compare it to the Dodge on towing acceleration but empty up to 70 or so it was within a cat's whisker.

The dodge is on paper much more powerful but the transmission/tuning is inferior. Very smooth but the gaps and shift speed are not as well matched to the engine as they should be. The Titan always seemed to be in the right gear and in the powerband when you needed/wanted it.

supercuts
11-28-2010, 05:26 PM
i drove a 2010 ram 1500 for a week as a loner. very impressed and it had the small v8. stay away from fords, read my "no more fords" thread. the fords have head and exhaust manifold problems. they keep snapping spark plugs off in the heads. after 100 years they still dont know how to make a fuel tank, my $900 OEM ford tank rotted out in 2 years, on my 3 tank now.

If i was buying a 1/2 ton, id go toyota all the way. the 5.7 has 400hp. screw american made trucks, they only screw you back.

newjerseylandscaping
11-28-2010, 05:41 PM
Does dodge make a new body style extended cab? after 04 i have never seen one

f50lvr2
11-29-2010, 12:00 AM

Yes, you can get an extended cab with a 6.5' bed or a crew cab with a 5.5' bed.

Deori
11-29-2010, 06:43 PM
Yes they do. Around '02 was just when they started having handles on their extended cab doors so some people confuse them for crew cabs. Toyota does the same on the Titan. Ford, GM, & Nissan have the extended cab "suicide doors" with no handle.

Exact Rototilling
12-12-2010, 06:22 PM
"....snip...If i was buying a 1/2 ton, id go toyota all the way. the 5.7 has 400hp. screw american made trucks, they only screw you back.

I basically agree. The brand loyalty American made issue is not really a factor these days.....GM is essentially Gov't Bailout Motors now ....family has always been GM fans over the years..oh well not anymore. GM has built a huge mega plant in China with HUGE tax incentives. Why did we bail them out? A portion of proceeds from the sale of Ford vehicles goes towards the Ford Foundation which if you dig on that issue is frankly un American not to mention going against traditional family values ...based on where Ford has chosen to advertise in the past. Dodge handed off to Fiat motors.....? When does it end? Correct me if I'm wrong. Every Co. out there has dirt on them or your supporting this and that. Not trying to start a flame war but it is no longer the good ole days.

I own a 1985 Toyota 4x4 with a 22r and 91 V6 4runner both of these vehicles where the hey day of Toyota. Toyota quality is not what it was back in the day. Even though Toyota quality has slipped I'm looking at Tundra 5.7 liter extra cab with an 8 foot goofy looking longish bed on it for pure function or possibly a Ford Ranger [Mazda] 4.0 liter V6. I really don't need a 3/4 ton and my focus is on smaller properties anyhow.

kylesturf
12-12-2010, 09:46 PM
I have a dodge and love it. I have never had a problem with it.It has the 5.9l and will pull just about anything.If u get a dodge dont worry about the tranny if u take care of it.