PDA

View Full Version : Preparing Pump for Winter

ed2hess
11-14-2010, 08:59 PM
I have a small 33 gallon pump sprayer that run off our Walker. I will keep the sprayer in a garage that doesn't get close to freezing. But I had a pump that bound up last year. So......is there something I should do to keep the pump lubed during down time.

CHARLES CUE
11-14-2010, 09:13 PM
I have a small 33 gallon pump sprayer that run off our Walker. I will keep the sprayer in a garage that doesn't get close to freezing. But I had a pump that bound up last year. So......is there something I should do to keep the pump lubed during down time.

Ed what kind of pump is this?

Charles Cue

ed2hess
11-17-2010, 07:20 PM
Ed what kind of pump is this?

Charles Cue

It is a little surflo pump operated by 12v on mower.

RAlmaroad
11-18-2010, 06:45 AM
On the pump that failed: Take it apart (nothing to loose). It may be a ceramic impeller which are very porous. This was the case of a lot of Sureflo pumps that fitted on marine pumps. If it is ceramic then a good cleaning with bleach or vinegar will clean the impeller. On those larger boats the impellers would build up with algae and just quit. After removing them and cleaning they worked as good as new. Here again most of the time a slight build up of fertilize will stop them. It might be a good idea to circulate a very hot water through the them to break down the fertilize or chemical build up before winterization. Wouldn't hurt.

RigglePLC
11-18-2010, 10:57 AM
Fertilizer often causes wiring corrosion on those pumps. Copper wire turns to green dust--failed connection results.

CHARLES CUE
11-19-2010, 09:08 PM
It is a little surflo pump operated by 12v on mower.

I have 2 of these pumps and all i ever do is flush with clean water remove hoses and turn on pump to pump out any remaining water. It freezes here and i never had a problem.I don't use antifreeze or any thing' Theres not much to them. What happens do the diphams stick together ? Maybe some vegetable oil put in side. The bearing in side is not in water and it's sealed.

Just some thoughts

Charles Cue