PDA

View Full Version : Palm thorn Synovitis

South Florida Lawns
11-15-2010, 12:55 AM
Caused by Date Palm thorns. This is some real stuff to be aware of, my friend has it and is in terrible pain but got his from a Sago.

I'm always getting stabbed through leather gloves and the pain is so intense at times depending on the palm.

Gotta love Florida eh

Landscape Poet
11-15-2010, 10:01 PM
Caused by Date Palm thorns. This is some real stuff to be aware of, my friend has it and is in terrible pain but got his from a Sago.

I'm always getting stabbed through leather gloves and the pain is so intense at times depending on the palm.

Gotta love Florida eh

I stopped trimming them by hand because of the pain I would receive trimming them from the multiple pricks I would suffer. I also had several instances where people had let them go for so long that the leaves and thorns were so sick, I was worried about them poking other parts of my body.
I noticed that my hands would sometimes swell slightly and hurt like hell the next day. I eventually just went to using my hedge trimmer to take off the branches, then using two rakes to remove them. Might not be the best cultural practice - but not having swollen hands is the best cultural practice for me!

Florida Gardener
11-15-2010, 10:05 PM
Mike-big loppers and gloves. If your doing canary island/medjool/Sylvester/ remove the thorns with felcos to get to the seeds.
Posted via Mobile Device

Landscape Poet
11-15-2010, 11:22 PM
Mike-big loppers and gloves. If your doing canary island/medjool/Sylvester/ remove the thorns with felcos to get to the seeds.
Posted via Mobile Device

That is what I was using diamond - thorns still poked through the gloves and got me consistently.

Florida Gardener
11-15-2010, 11:50 PM
Posted via Mobile DeviceDang.....I hate pygmys for that reason. They just aren't worth it.