PDA

View Full Version : Tax write offs

dreich3075
11-15-2010, 07:44 PM
What kind of unusual things do you guys write off. Not gas or mowers. The not so obvious stuff. I was trying to figure out if I could write off dog food and toys for my guard dog???

gasracer
11-15-2010, 07:57 PM
What kind of unusual things do you guys write off. Not gas or mowers. The not so obvious stuff. I was trying to figure out if I could write off dog food and toys for my guard dog???

I think you need to talk to your CPA more than asking that on a open forum.
I will say NO it is a pet.

M & MD Lawn
11-15-2010, 08:09 PM
Sometimes when i go on dates, I use the company card so i can write it off as entertainment :)

gasracer
11-15-2010, 08:26 PM
You can do anything you want but if get audited by the IRS you better show proof it was a true business expense.
One guy on here asked if he could take his personal cell phone calls off if he used it part time for business and someone found the tax code on it.

gebby
11-15-2010, 08:33 PM
Several years ago I too wanted to write off everything for the dogs. One was a blood hound. If you pulled up she barked, If she didn't like you, she would bite you, if you ran away she would track you down and then bite you again. We got an electric fence and got the same results. To me she was a guard dog and everything could have been wrote off. My wife said no. I say yes you can but, you don't have to convince me just the IRS. I say if you use it for your business run it by your accountant to be safe.

M & MD Lawn
11-15-2010, 08:37 PM
I agree with gebby, run it by your accountant , I love mine she said I I could write off things I didn't know I could....... but make sure u have a good accountant!!
Posted via Mobile Device

yamadooski
11-15-2010, 10:25 PM
All of you better have a real good accountant for next year and have a huge stack of 1099 forms.
From my understanding from the liberal dousch bag in office is that all receipts totalling more than 600 for any given catagory has to be 1099 to each place of business you deal with.
So lets say you spend 18,000 a year in gas such as I do and you go to 200 different gas stations you need to send each one a 1099. I travel all over my state for work. So I need to send a 1099 to a little hick gas station in the middle of the everglades for 80.00 of deisel.
Hey stupid demorcrats thanks for all the extra work......:hammerhead:

JB1
11-15-2010, 10:41 PM
All of you better have a real good accountant for next year and have a huge stack of 1099 forms.
From my understanding from the liberal dousch bag in office is that all receipts totalling more than 600 for any given catagory has to be 1099 to each place of business you deal with.
So lets say you spend 18,000 a year in gas such as I do and you go to 200 different gas stations you need to send each one a 1099. I travel all over my state for work. So I need to send a 1099 to a little hick gas station in the middle of the everglades for 80.00 of deisel.

yep, gonna bury everyone in paper work.

GlynnC
11-15-2010, 10:52 PM

This is not the purpose of 1099 forms. If you pay someone $600 or more for contract labor, a 1099 is needed. Basically, think of a 1099 the same as a W-2 except it's for payments to contractors rather employees. You do not send 1099's to obvious businesses for goods received (gas from stations as suggested above).

More realistically, your mowing customers should be sending 1099's to you.

I was an accountant in a former life--and yes, if you're in business, you should be up on the tax rules or have someone on your side that is.

JB1
11-15-2010, 10:59 PM
This is not the purpose of 1099 forms. If you pay someone $600 or more for contract labor, a 1099 is needed. Basically, think of a 1099 the same as a W-2 except it's for payments to contractors rather employees. You do not send 1099's to obvious businesses for goods received (gas from stations as suggested above).

More realistically, your mowing customers should be sending 1099's to you.

I was an accountant in a former life--and yes, if you're in business, you should be up on the tax rules or have someone on your side that is.

well maybe you should be reading up on the new law.

rcpeoples
11-15-2010, 11:14 PM
If your dog hasn't been trained to be a guard dog by a certified trainer you can't write off anything. If it has been trained you can write off everything from dog food to vet visits
Posted via Mobile Device

topsites
11-15-2010, 11:23 PM
You folks thinking of playing cute with the IRS, don't say nobody ever warned you,
if they catch you (and they can, and will) they will not just make you face up to
current issues but they will turn over every leaf and sheet of paper in your office
to see if they can find any more discrepancies to nail you on.
That's for starters, which don't get me wrong, that alone takes a good year or two...
Because they will peruse through everything of yours, and I can almost guarantee they will find more discrepancies.

Once they're through with that initial bombardment, the IRS will
then stay on you for years and years and years and years and years...
No, I'm not done.

I want you to understand, I want to make it real clear, crystal clear!
That the IRS will hound you forever and ever, and I mean to (and PAST) the point of pushing you over the edge!
They don't give a rat, they will make your worst nightmare encounter of your whole life look like child's play in comparison.

So, like if you want to find out why people go postal, then you go on and test these waters.
Otherwise heed the advice and get a cpa.

Because I am telling you them folks don't play, they don't have no sense of humor, not even a tiny little bit of one.

rcpeoples
11-15-2010, 11:35 PM
I've used a CPA for years even before I starting running my own businesses. My guy use to work for the IRS and he stays on top of all new tax laws. As a business owner their are just certain numbers that should be in your phone- lawyer, CPA, banker, insurance agent.
Posted via Mobile Device

GlynnC
11-15-2010, 11:38 PM

Where are you getting your info--just went to the IRS site--didn't see anything even closely related to what you are saying will be needed--not saying it's not correct, but it would be a major change from the previous uses of the 1099. If what you are saying is correct, it should apply to individuals as well as businesses. This would mean any time you spend more than $600 with any one business, a 1099 would need to be sent--grocery stores, gas stations, Disney World (if you went). This just doesn't make sense--not that tax law is suppose to make sense, but this would really be an impossible law to follow, enforce, etc.

JB1
11-15-2010, 11:53 PM
Where are you getting your info--just went to the IRS site--didn't see anything even closely related to what you are saying will be needed--not saying it's not correct, but it would be a major change from the previous uses of the 1099. If what you are saying is correct, it should apply to individuals as well as businesses. This would mean any time you spend more than $600 with any one business, a 1099 would need to be sent--grocery stores, gas stations, Disney World (if you went). This just doesn't make sense--not that tax law is suppose to make sense, but this would really be an impossible law to follow, enforce, etc.

try,

http://www.cato-at-liberty.org/costly-irs-mandate-slipped-into-health-bill/

http://www.lavante.com/1099-reporting-changes?gclid=CLzC7dK3pKUCFULNKgodgSpwYg

http://www.accountingweb.com/blogs/scotth/exuberant-accountant/get-ready-onerous-new-1099-reporting-rules#

GlynnC
11-16-2010, 12:16 AM
try,

http://www.cato-at-liberty.org/costly-irs-mandate-slipped-into-health-bill/

http://www.lavante.com/1099-reporting-changes?gclid=CLzC7dK3pKUCFULNKgodgSpwYg

http://www.accountingweb.com/blogs/scotth/exuberant-accountant/get-ready-onerous-new-1099-reporting-rules#

Okay, I stand corrected--it looks exactly as you guys have described--wow!!:confused:
This looks to be a nightmare on the surface. For the little guys, just don't buy more than $600 in any one place--spread the cost around. For the big guy, good records are in order. In addition to keeping up with your expenses, suppliers will also have to be kept in the records.

Hmmmm--glad I was an accountant in a former life.

milkie62
11-16-2010, 12:54 AM
A little off thread but I have a 100 acre property with about 60 acre woodlot.I can write off just about everything I do to improve my log timber.I technically get to write off any firewood I cut to heat my house since I am improving the overall woodlot.I only have to show any profit when I harvest saw logs.So if my woodlot has only 6" trunks,I can write off for at least 10-12 yrs or more before I do a harvest.

Richard Martin
11-16-2010, 04:43 AM
If what you are saying is correct, it should apply to individuals as well as businesses. This would mean any time you spend more than $600 with any one business, a 1099 would need to be sent--grocery stores, gas stations, Disney World (if you went). This just doesn't make sense--not that tax law is suppose to make sense, but this would really be an impossible law to follow, enforce, etc.

JB1 got it right and you're catching on. The reasoning behind the new law is to reduce the abuse of the "write off" system of deductions. Right now anybody can make up a receipt for any amount they want and write it off. Under the new system the deductions will be 2 party. You will have to 1099 someone in order to write off expenditures of $600 or more, from the same company, in your fiscal year.

If you buy $100 worth of gas from Billy Bob's Gas one time you won't need to 1099 Billy Bob. If you're like me and spend thousands buying gas from the same Shell gas station then you'll need to 1099 the owners of that gas station in order to write the cost of the fuel off. You'll need a SS number, EIN or some sort of taxpayer ID number from the business.

malinois1
11-16-2010, 08:49 AM
Okay, I stand corrected--it looks exactly as you guys have described--wow!!:confused:
This looks to be a nightmare on the surface. For the little guys, just don't buy more than $600 in any one place--spread the cost around. For the big guy, good records are in order. In addition to keeping up with your expenses, suppliers will also have to be kept in the records.

Hmmmm--glad I was an accountant in a former life.

My wife is a bookkeeper for a CPA firm and it is true that these are the new rules. These new laws were included and hidden in the new health care bill! :hammerhead:

rcpeoples
11-16-2010, 09:27 AM
STOP IT !
Posted via Mobile Device

studebaker48
11-16-2010, 10:43 AM

you should run for president!!!!!!!:usflag:

studebaker48
11-16-2010, 10:47 AM

Amen !!!! I would like to ask every dem. if i could borrow 1 out of the 3 dollars they got from me!!!!!

OrganicsMaine
11-16-2010, 11:07 AM
These rules don't go into effect until 2012, if at all. I just read on the fox business site that Max Baucus, a Democrap, has apparently seen the lite, and along with most if not all repubs. will work to repeal this part of the health care nightmare.

gasracer
11-16-2010, 11:13 AM
My wife looked it up last night and saw they were already trying to repeal it.

XYZLawnPros
11-19-2010, 12:44 PM
Do any of you pay yourselves first before even contemplating
what to do with the rest, that you may or may not put back
into your corporation? SS number (contract) what do you
need that for.:laugh:

Rayholio
11-23-2010, 01:42 PM
might as well write off everything..

If you get audited, it's not like you're going to NOT be in trouble anyhow. LOL